nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

NEED HELP ASAP!

Feel free to use this area for general banter but keep it clean.

NEED HELP ASAP!

Postby jenmarrs » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:50 pm

Scott is preparing to give a presentation on off road recreation THIS SATURDAY.
He needs help with slides that talk about the positive impact of wheeling.
Please post up ideas here! Scott has no access during the day so he asked me to post this call for help!

Here is a transcript of some previous discussion of what is needed and ideas:

I think there needs to be an additional page on tread Lightly and a page on maintenance with our using DRED's BMP best management practices for erosion control during maintenance and Construction).

http://www.nhtrails.org/Trailspages/BMP.html

I also think we should have a slide about economic impact to communities when we are there and maybe a picture of camping/stopping at store/icecram etc.

It's also a crash course PR tool for the NEA.

I have seen statistics around talking about how many 4x4 recreational drivers there are and how fast it's growing - translate that into demand and you get good income for the parks department PLUS they acheive their goal of having popular and attractive parks in the state
My suggestions BTW are:
* allows young families and those with limited mobility to enjoy the outdoors
* people can use their existing vehicle for recreation, making it affordable for more people
* benefits local businesses

This site has some good data: http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/trends/
one report shows that only 8.1% of the US population snowmobile, while 37.5% drive off road. interesting, since snomobiling is so far ahead in terms of organizational acceptance....
check this data out: http://www.srs.fs.fed.us/trends/RECUPDA ... pdate3.pdf
unfortunately, this report and the statistics I quoted above don't seem to break ATV apart from jeeps.

any bullet points or other suggestions/blurbs would help.
PICTURES of good stuff helps too....families wheeling together, wheelers patronizing local businesses, disabled wheelers, etc.

THANK YOU and get cracking ;)
jenmarrs

Postby Scott Hatch » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:52 pm

Anyone?
Scott Hatch

Postby Scott SKEETER Brown » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:20 pm

I can dig some pictures maybe of a tech day.....also a blub and picture(s) of the EGG is a must! Where can I put the pics?
SKEETER
Scott Brown

NEWJO Maine
Overland Jeepers of Maine
Scott SKEETER Brown
Site Admin

Postby maxhome » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:30 pm

Trail maintenance:

http://home.comcast.net/~maxhome/Pictures/WW_0920/2003_0920_131729AA.JPG

Egg Pictures:

http://home.comcast.net/~maxhome5/index.htm

Want any other pictures? I've got almost 3,900 jeep pics saved.

max
maxhome

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:47 pm

Mike White
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
mrfreakinwhite

Postby Paul » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:02 pm

I'm not exactly sure how to frame this into a "positive impact" on society as a whole, but I see this as how organized four wheeling and having established dedicated trails can have a positive impact on the environment and the economy.

Organized ORV recreationalists push legislative bodies and private landowners for legal and suitable places to recreate. The more organized and educated the ORV recreationalists become, the larger the push becomes. Having legal, maintained, established trail networks allieviates the historic problems of offroading such as noise, tresspassing and environmentally sensitive property destruction. Simply stated giving these recreationalists a place to go will lessen all the supposed problems.
This is very similiar to the addage "If you outlaw guns, only outlaws have guns"

Jeeps, trucks, 4x4's, ATV's, Quads, etc are not going anywhere, they will not be outlawed. We will always have to "contend" with people wanting to go off-roading. In abscence of abolishing the sport, and the multi-million dollar industry, its simply best to work to establish sustainable trail systems for these recreationalists.

'sall I got right now.
You could work the economic thing in there too some more.
:paul:
Guy that used to do stuff a long long time ago.
Paul

Postby jenmarrs » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:32 pm

* allows young families and those with limited mobility to enjoy the outdoors
* people can use their existing vehicle for recreation, making it affordable for more people
* benefits local businesses

*trails on public lands reduces forest fire impact
jenmarrs

Postby VPCIII » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:16 pm

There was a survey run a while back by EC4WD IIRC - Had some interesting statistics WRT economic impact (positve).
I don't have the details but you might remeber it Scotty. That might be a useful document.

You can also add that member clubs are actively seeking and being sought out for working relationships with state and local agencies looking to use their talents and expirtise to support Emergency mManagement and Preparedness efforts.

It's too bad the Master Trainer Certs slipped, however, everyone who went to the class JCW set up is still a TL Trainer. 15-20 in the ranks IIRC.
VPCIII

Return to Off Topic-General Discussion