nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

2007 Shane Beard award

Feel free to use this area for general banter but keep it clean.

2007 Shane Beard award

Postby JayZR2 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:09 pm

Hi everyone,
Yesterday at the meeting this was brought up and we concluded we need some help.
What we are looking for is someone to spear head this for 07 and basically just accept the nominations and submit them to the delegates for a vote. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we had voted to use the criteria Tammy mentioned here:

tammylynn wrote:I had some ideas the other night. Since I am not sleeping well I decided to put my brain to good use...lol

We leave the name general so it can apply to service and wheeling. So we simply call it the Shane Beard Award.

Someone qualifying for this award must meet most if not all of the following requirements:

1. Active volunteer/leader within the wheeling community who maintains a positive influence for and with others.

2. Actively involved in land maintenance and acquisition opportunities for the sport.

3. Demonstrates responsibility and leadership on and off the trails. Promotes such characteristics in other members of the community as well.

4. Promotes and generates ideas that are practical for the entire family with regards to wheeling-related events.

We could build off of this but this is what I have so far.

And we added on maintaining a positive attitude throughout all the work being done.

If anyone is willing to take this on in honor of Shane, please let myself or Scott know. This is a very easy task, but an important one.
Thanks!!!!!
hyp·o·crite   [hip-uh-krit]
noun
1. A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
JayZR2

Postby tammylynn » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:32 pm

On a side note, I was in Dom's office today and he had the plaque hanging up from when he got it last year, 2006. Is this something that will be passed on to from person to person each time someone new is chosen as the recipient?
tammylynn

Postby JayZR2 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:18 pm

Ok, I'll do this then.
Anyone who wishes to nominate someone they feel worthy of what Shane stood for in the wheeling community you can email it to me with a brief explanation why.

spyderghel@comcast.net

I think we should set the next meeting as the deadline so we can vote on the nominees then. Does anyone not agree with that?
noun
1. A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
JayZR2

Postby Treasurer » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:08 am

This get passed on each year like the Stanley Cup. I will get the name you choose addded to the plaque.
Steve N.
Treasurer NEA4WDC
Treasurer

Postby Scott Hatch » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:35 am

Thank you Jay
Scott Hatch

Postby JayZR2 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:23 am

Bump,
Please pass this info on to your clubs. Anyone from any club can nominate someone they feel is worthy. To date I have not received any nominations. :cry:
noun
JayZR2

Postby Scott Hatch » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:45 am

Remind me to have this on the next agenda, maybe we'll receive nominations in person
Scott Hatch

Postby Treasurer » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:22 am

FYI I nominated someone since our members seem to not be able to do this.
Steve N.
Treasurer NEA4WDC
Treasurer

Postby JayZR2 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:47 pm

So far I have 3 nominations. One more week to nominate people. We will be voting at the 8/25 meeting.
noun
JayZR2

Postby tammylynn » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:44 pm

Will this be open or ballot voting?
tammylynn

Postby JayZR2 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:00 pm

ballot
noun
JayZR2

Postby Wagz » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:17 pm

Treasurer wrote:This get passed on each year like the Stanley Cup. I will get the name you choose addded to the plaque.

an outside opinion... you really should consider a new award each year. It increases the visibility and recognition, and reminds the previous awardees of their peers' positive opinions of them. Shifting the same award off to some private person's den for a year doesn't necessarily broadcast the message. Not that it's bad for a private person to win it. It just seems more in the spirit to spread it around and let all enjoy for more than just the year they are awarded...

too sense wirth, plus change.
Wagz

Postby Scott Hatch » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:37 pm

The winner does receive a separate plaque once the award is passed on for them to keep
Scott Hatch

Postby tammylynn » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:25 pm

Well they receive a framed certificate.....same thing sort of.

Tim has a good point. Domenic was kind of sad when he lost the plaque-and I haven't done the certificate for him yet. :( I'll do it next week. I have had to take on some added responsibility recently that doesn't allow me as much time on the computer to get things done.
tammylynn

Postby SidewaysTim » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:50 pm

How about creating a small badge to put on the vehicle of the award recipient? Kinda like the size of the Jeep "trail rated" badge.
Baystate Jeepers
Official Tuner of Jay's CB
SidewaysTim

Postby rblank » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:43 pm

Oooo that's kinda a cool idea.
*DISCLAIMER* - The views expressed herein are the personal views of the author and do not in any way represent, nor imply to represent, the views of the North East Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, it's officers, members, or affiliates.
rblank

Postby tammylynn » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:55 pm

That is a cool idea-if the people who get the award actually wheeled.... :lol: JK

Seriously do you know anything about how to get those?
tammylynn

Postby SidewaysTim » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:37 pm

I'm sure that we could find someone within the association that could machine or forge something or call a trophy shop and see if they can make custom medallions. Forging is not that difficult if you have the equipment. You just need to make a sand mold using a prototype that could be carved out of just about anything. I forged a Ford badge in Jr. High metal shop once.
Baystate Jeepers
SidewaysTim

Postby tammylynn » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:57 pm

My husband can do laser engraving and marking but I don't think they can do something like this.
tammylynn

Postby ChrisD » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:05 am

SidewaysTim wrote:I'm sure that we could find someone within the association that could machine or forge something or call a trophy shop and see if they can make custom medallions. Forging is not that difficult if you have the equipment. You just need to make a sand mold using a prototype that could be carved out of just about anything. I forged a Ford badge in Jr. High metal shop once.

That'd be casting, but if anyone really wants to pursue this I can check with some people at WPI. They have a small sandcasting facility or we can just have them machined, and I've got plenty of contacts to handle that as well.

Machining would be the better route because there is a large probability of scrap creation in sand casting. If a CNC program is setup, we could get a box made that'd last us years for short money, too.

Hell, if I ask I could probably get the stuff for free.
VP NEZR2, Inc.
ChrisD

Postby Scott Hatch » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:09 am

How much would that cost? This would be an order for one per year....
Scott Hatch

Postby SidewaysTim » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:35 am

[quote="ChrisD"]

That'd be casting, but if anyone really wants to pursue this I can check with some people at WPI. They have a small sandcasting facility or we can just have them machined, and I've got plenty of contacts to handle that as well.

quote]
:oops: Sorry, Jr. High was like 18 years ago.
Baystate Jeepers
SidewaysTim

Postby ChrisD » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:16 pm

Scott Hatch wrote:How much would that cost? This would be an order for one per year....

If it will be a one-off, like if you wanted to put the year on the emblem, it will be more expensive and we would need to find a consistent source (maybe). It's nice to personalize them, but if the recipient were awarded a personalized certificate plus a "generic" vehicle emblem we could rattle off more for future recipients.

Assuming we machine these from aluminum, purchase said aluminum from the machine shop, and provide the machinist with a design, I can't see being charged more than $30. And that is being gouged.

I'm sure that we could find someone within the NEA that has a hook up, too given the nature of the sport. Given that, we could probably get someone to knock it out of scrap aluminum for nothing if they can borrow a machine.

If I get a chance today, I'll throw a quick example together and kick it out to someone I know to get it quoted, just to test the waters.
VP NEZR2, Inc.
ChrisD

Postby rblank » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:30 pm

I think this is a really awesome idea. I know there are a few people in the sport that are professional machinists.
*DISCLAIMER* - The views expressed herein are the personal views of the author and do not in any way represent, nor imply to represent, the views of the North East Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, it's officers, members, or affiliates.
rblank

Postby tammylynn » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:39 pm

I agree. Seems cheap enough. I'd like to see a sample. If we go with this could we have one made for Domenic?
tammylynn

Return to Off Topic-General Discussion