nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Jeep TJ help

Feel free to use this area for general banter but keep it clean.

Jeep TJ help

Postby Svendog » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:04 pm

I need help from the Jeep guys.
I've got a buddy who wants to get into wheeling and we have a lead on a TJ for him.

It's a 98 Sport Wrangler with 85k.
Off the bat, it will need new headers, cats and shocks.

The guy selling it has wheeled it, but has upgraded a lot of the parts. He's a close friend of my brother in law so I feel confident that he's giving us good information about it's condition.

That said, is there anything that my buddy should be looking for or considering? And, on the parts that are needed, is there anything special about them that needs to be considered? Or, could we get some good used headers (I'll need help on finding a good set), some Bilsteins and aftermarket cats to install? On the shocks, how are they to install and are there any items we should watch out for?

If he does this, it'll be relatively soon. Since I'm more experienced with Xterras and only have limited jeep experience, I could use some input or hints.

Thanks.
Member of NEXterra...
I might be just a little bit modified....
Svendog

Postby Treasurer » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:52 pm

98 TJs have fuel guage sending unit issues. Make sure the fuel guage works. Mine also had a bad airbag sensor. If it has the Dana 35 rear axle watch out because it is very weak when modified.
Steve N.
Treasurer NEA4WDC
Treasurer

Postby Svendog » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:58 pm

thanks.
These are the mods that he's done so far:
Warn 9500i winch

Full-Detroit locker (rear)

Superior Axels (rear)

Lock-right locker (front)

4.88 Gears (from 3.73)

Tom Woods Short Shaft Kit

TeraFlex long arm suspension lift (4+-inches)

3-inch body lift, with extended shifter

Custom built rock-rails attached to body (attached at 6-points, fender well to fender well)

Custom built rear bumper and tire carrier (35" tire attached) and CB antenna attachment point (1/4 wavelength antenna attached)

Rear corner guards, aluminum diamond plates

35" Procomp Xterrain tires (tires have about 25% tread life)

XM radio receiver and antenna (supports XM ready digital radio) (current radio is wired in with external XM controller)

So, if I read the specs correctly, he's already addressed the weak points in the rear. But, if there's something else there that is standing out as a problem, I'd appreciate knowing ahead of time.

Thanks.
Member of NEXterra...
I might be just a little bit modified....
Svendog

Return to Off Topic-General Discussion