nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Wilderness First Aid Teacher, Wanted.

Feel free to use this area for general banter but keep it clean.

Wilderness First Aid Teacher, Wanted.

Postby kodi » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Anyone have a line on someone willing to come teach a short class? No CPR certs needed, it would be a bonus if it is possible.

Wheeling related injuries, as well as trail cut injuries looking to be covered. Touch on CPR, as there are some older "members" out here.

Last time we did this mini class we held it in Windham in private property in the woods. May do the same again. I do have a pm into the original teacher, just covering my bases if he doesn't reply/check his mail.

Anyone with leads, please let me know!

Thanks!!!

NHJeepKodi@comcast.net
kodi

Postby ufwda-landuse » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:31 am

Something else to possibly consider, is adding Ham radio operators training.

The FCC has dropped the requirement to know morse code. So it is easier to get this license now. The distance you can transmit is much higher then with a regular CB radio.

A CB radio may reach help here on the east coast, but you may be someplace else that you do not have the short distances. Ham will be a life saver, as we learned on the Rubicon trail last year.

A ham radio was used to call in a med flight to get an injured wheeler, and then they did a phone patch to the gentlemans wife to let her know her husband had been injured, and where he was going. The ham crew followed reports via radio on the mans condition and updated his status to his wife until her was dropped off at the hospital.

Just food for thought.

Todd
Director of Environmental Affairs
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
ufwda-landuse

Postby Fezzik » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:44 am

I may be able to help if needed, another good option is to call the red cross, they hold CPR and basic first aid classes
-Karl
Delegate NEZR2, INC

09 WK D/D
Found a trail rig, :twisted:
88 MJ now need to build it
Fezzik

Postby kodi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:13 am

Karl, what are your qualifications!? Portland would also be a long drive no?
kodi

Postby JayZR2 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:38 am

Karl can give you specifics, but he is a licensed EMT/Firefighter in Maine.
hyp·o·crite   [hip-uh-krit]
noun
1. A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
JayZR2

Postby kodi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:42 am

:up:

Ok...thanks Jay, I shall wait on more details!
kodi

Postby Scott Hatch » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:28 am

as far as Radio Operators, may want to speak with Pete Corbett (VPIII) from NEWJO. He is a radio head :up:
Scott Hatch

Postby VPCIII » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:41 am

Radio head? :shock:

I have made the offer many times and it still stands. :wink:

... and yeah, Amatuer bands are far more functional and reliable than the Citizen bands. Better range (power) than FRS/GMRS.
VPCIII

Postby JayZR2 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:21 pm

There was talk of a CB clinic here.
http://forum.nea4wd.org/viewtopic.php?t=2112

could prob do the HAM thing with that right?
noun
1. A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
JayZR2

Postby Fezzik » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:23 pm

kodi wrote:Karl, what are your qualifications!? Portland would also be a long drive no?

Yeah it might be a drive, but I wasn't thinking of me, a couple of the guys I work with came from Nh, with one from Nashua FD, and he still knows some people from there. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask if you needed help. And it didn't look like that would be to far of a drive from Nashua.
JayZR2 wrote:Karl can give you specifics, but he is a licensed EMT/Firefighter in Maine.

Close Jay, and not that I care but I like to be factual. I'm not an EMT I'm a Maine and Nationally Registered Paramedic.

the drive actually wouldn't be to bad if I could stay with my Gf in York, even if I can't it lists 1:40 travel time to windham.
-Karl
Delegate NEZR2, INC

09 WK D/D
Fezzik

Postby Scott » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:09 pm

Come on down Karl... I'm going to be doing a wicked good BBQ. :P Only 1:40 travel time :lol: All the runs I go to are 2 hours away.
Scott Daigle

GAJR Treasurer
VTP Certified :)
Scott

Postby JayZR2 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:22 pm

Sorry Karl. :oops:
noun
JayZR2

Postby kodi » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:32 pm

So, did you get to ask any of them on our behalf yet Karl!!???
kodi

Postby Floatsum » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:12 am

For wilderness first aid you may be interested in this one.
Home area - Concord N.H.
http://www.soloschools.com/wfa.html
Maybe able to get them to do some sort of "special"? Just a possible-
Gary
JonFund
Baystate Jeepers
CTJeep
RIOHVA
Floatsum

Postby tammylynn » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:07 pm

If you contact your local American Red Cross office they might have an instructor. I know the one around here offers a Wilderness First Aid course.
tammylynn

Postby kodi » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:23 pm

Tammy,

The RC down here had no clue. They also thought...just basic first aid would be fine.

Apparantly never seen anyone with fingers stuck in a winch line, or worse. Chainsaw cuts....bleah.

Can you dig up the number for the red cross office you saw that out of?

Thanks Chickie!

BTW, haven't heard back from Pizza on the other issue we chatted about Sunday! :?:
kodi

Postby Scott Hatch » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:42 pm

Chainsaw cuts? I have and got the scars to prove it :?
Scott Hatch

Postby rblank » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:57 pm

stoopid ought to hurt.... :?
*DISCLAIMER* - The views expressed herein are the personal views of the author and do not in any way represent, nor imply to represent, the views of the North East Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, it's officers, members, or affiliates.
rblank

Postby StephenRGallagher » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:31 pm

Are you looking for something with a certificate or are you looking to have the knowledge dissemenated!

If you are looking for a cerificate program then SOLO is the way to go!

If you are looking for a First Aid class that covers Trail injuries then I probably can put something together or get someone who can do this for you.

Firefighter/EMT-I
State of NH Fire Academy Staff instructor
Nationally certified Fire Service Instructor III
Founder-President 98-2006
North East Willys Jeeps Organization
www.newjo.org
StephenRGallagher

Postby smileyfish » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:41 pm

we are looking for basic info. this would be held at the same time as our jeepin' 101.
smileyfish

Postby kodi » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:53 pm

get your own thread Smiley! LOL....

IF it is a short/sweet thing, we could do it the same day. Maybe donate an hour and a half or so to it. IF it were to run longer...I'd say, maybe we could incorporate it into a run...do it on the trail, or even go back to the same property to have the class.

The first time, which Smiley wasn't around for, the Jeep 101 and the Wilderness first aid were on two different days. :wink:

Steven, that would be awesome if you could help, especially since you know what types of things we could potentially run into.

Let me know if you are seriously interested.

If you are, Jeep 101 is May 3. Rain date, May 4.

OR we could arrange for a different day if you think it would be longer than the above stated time.
kodi

Postby Fezzik » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:11 pm

kodi wrote:So, did you get to ask any of them on our behalf yet Karl!!???

not yet, sorry I wasn't sure if you wanted me to ask yet. I'm assuming it's May 3rd. now that I know you are looking for a teacher I'll ask my contacts
-Karl
Delegate NEZR2, INC

09 WK D/D
Fezzik

Postby kodi » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:20 pm

like I said in the above post...as long as it's about an hour, to an hour and a half...May 3 should be doable. If not...we'll pick a different day.

this is good, now there is atleast more than one option, instead of none!!! LOL!!!
kodi

Postby StephenRGallagher » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:22 pm

I talked with one of my Lieutenants that teach EMS as his side job. currently he is teaching Boat captains first aid geared toward what they encounter out to sea and how to treat with stuff they have on board and in their first aid kit!

If you want him to do it I would plan on a full day and certifications will be earned: AHA First Aid and basic CPR Cost would range between $35 and $55 per person depending on numbers attending and location of class.

If you want me to do a class on basic first aid for the trail, this easily could be done in a couple hours but no certificaiton would come from it. I will have to look at my schedule and see if I am available on those may dates. I wouldn't cover any CPR (for liability reasons) but would cover the basics of trail injuries Enivironmental injuries, Heat and cold emergencies.

If I were not an EMT, and was planning to take, learn, re-ducate myself, I would shell out the Cash for the certification and be a card carrying member.

I have laid out your choices and the course of action is up to you!
Founder-President 98-2006
North East Willys Jeeps Organization
www.newjo.org
StephenRGallagher

Postby kodi » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:46 pm

Thanks Stephen, I'll bring up all this stuff to the BOD, and probably at our meeting Saturday. I'll let you know. In the meantime, I would say, we will do something...So, can you check your schedule for May 3-4!?

Thanks!!
kodi

Return to Off Topic-General Discussion