nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Would you release your personal information?

Feel free to use this area for general banter but keep it clean.

Postby StephenRGallagher » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:50 pm

Just wondering how many pwpole would be interested in releasing their personal information to recieve important updates, announcements and legislative action just to name a few.

Not sure how much personal information is required but I am pretty sure that everyone had to register an E-mail when they register here. That would save some of the leg work the rest would be up to the individual clubs i would think to acquire the list of those that want the info, and those also that have no E-mail and would like a hard copy.

I would be interested in this notification.
Founder-President 98-2006
North East Willys Jeeps Organization
www.newjo.org
StephenRGallagher

Postby JayZR2 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:57 pm

The board has the ability to mass email specific groups. I'm sure a majority of forums have the same feature.

I have been trying to send notifications of current events to the member land use group (Basically any paid member of an nea club) . I could just do all users.
Some people may get topic does not exist if they don't have proper permissions to some areas though.
hyp·o·crite   [hip-uh-krit]
noun
1. A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
JayZR2

Postby Paul » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:47 pm

We should have the emails of everyone to send them info.

We've discussed this recently as well.

I think the assoc prides the autonomy of the clubs just a little too much.
Guy that used to do stuff a long long time ago.
Paul

Postby tammylynn » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:41 pm

The clubs and delegates have not been willing in the past to expose their member's info...which is respectable for privacy reasons. I posted in the other thread but I will post here. That is why having people opt in would be ideal because the people "opting in" would be doing this on their own will.

This would be above and beyond the e-mails sent to delegates and should not be administered through the forum but through a regular e-mail network. The e-mails should contain actual text and not just links to threads on the forum which as Jay pointed out, most would not be able to access anyways. The example I used is how companies offer to users of their websites to "opt-in" for periodic updates and we would have them complete a brief form which could be as simple as just entering the e-mail address and then it would be added to a distribution list. We could then e-mail updates as they are available and even include major updates from some of the other orgs such as United or East Coast, etc.

The e-mail would be for informational purposes only and would specify that members would still need to approach their delegates or the forum with responses and feedback but at least this way we could cover our bases as far as communication. The e-mails would not be something that the recipient could reply to, it would be one-way communication.
tammylynn

Postby StephenRGallagher » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:25 am

yeah i don't think this would be club wide i think it would be individual authorization from the clubs memebers.

The other option is mailing lists. I have two set up on my web site. I can send out posts to anyone who is subscribed.

Might be a better solution then no one needs to give any info and the poster only needs to send ot one address. THE mailing list address!

I know NEWJO is pretty adamant about not giving out member names and contact info, nothing i can do about that. But I would like to have an e-mail prompt that somethign is happenign or some project is coming up.
www.newjo.org
StephenRGallagher

Postby Scott Hatch » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:23 am

Project? Care to enlighten us?
Scott Hatch

Postby Scott Hatch » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:31 am

Oh and yes I would....

I think this does bring up a good idea/issue. We should start a program capture people's personal information. This will assist us when dealing with legislators and political initiatives.
Scott Hatch

Postby Paul » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:08 am

To this association? yes.
An email list.

Think hard about this everyone:

What other Association out there DOES NOT have a list of their members.
From a black and white view, this is foolish.

Sorry if I'm redundant, did not read all the above.
Paul

Postby StephenRGallagher » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:21 am

Scott Hatch wrote:Project? Care to enlighten us?

There are tons of projects going on in here that need help. I have reeducated myself a lot in the past few days and it is really evident that a boat load of stuff is going on that help is needed.

I am sure there are many others like myself that did not know, due to time constraints and a billion other things going on. If we want to get to a point where we can have some closure, successes, and advnacement, the current people doing won't be able to do it alone anytime soon. The Delegates are doing what they can, but as with this forum and web page there are many club members that don't frequent their boards and pages either.

A quick blast somethign to the effect:

3 month notice until the Springfield property family fun day.
(proposed date) we will meet at 8 and start work at 9 after we have had a list of projects to be done and safety discussion. Burgers and Dogs will be provided, please bring your own drinks, and snacks. Tools needed will be loppers, shovels, picks, pry bars and chainsaws. Remember if you are bringing chainsaw you must also bring chaps and safety helmet. (you will be asked to not use if you don't have the safety equipment). For more info contact the land manager John jameson at 555-7777. It would be benificial to plan burgers and dogs if you could RSVP. Also this is a family day there is stuff for all to do. after the work we will explore the status of the work completed and enjoy the trails. Overnight capable.

1 month notice the Springfield property family fun day.
(proposed date) we will meet at 8 and start work at 9 after we have had a list of projects to be done and safety discussion. Burgers and Dogs will be provided, please bring your own drinks, and snacks. Tools needed will be loppers, shovels, picks, pry bars and chainsaws. Remember if you are bringing chainsaw you must also bring chaps and safety helmet. (you will be asked to not use if you don't have the safety equipment). For more info contact the land manager John jameson at 555-7777. It would be benificial to plan burgers and dogs if you could RSVP. Also this is a family day there is stuff for all to do. after the work we will explore the status of the work completed and enjoy the trails. Overnight capable.

2 day notice the Springfield property family fun day.

same with all the other properties, clean ups, legislative conferences, educational summitts and meetings.
www.newjo.org
StephenRGallagher

Postby StephenRGallagher » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:39 am

We need to get the message to the individuals. Somewhere the message is not getting out. I know it wasn't to me, partly my fault. I am sure I am not alone in this.

I regretfully announce the passing of MR. Else. Mr Somebody Else was a long standing member of the associaiton and must have been a focal point to most tasks.

Many times I heard a call for the need of a delegate!

I found my self saying I have done my part, somebody else will do it.

Many times I heard the call for a trail cut!

I found my self saying I've organized many and done my part Somebody esle will do it.

Many times I heard a call for an event or party organizer!

All too often I found myself saying I don't have time, Somebody else will do it.

Many times I have heard there was need for people to show up to the meeting.

All to often I found myself saying I already have too much on my plate and can't attend another meeting, Somebody Else will be there.

Many times I have read the request to take a minute and let a political representative person know what my oppinion is on a bill or new law.

All to often I have been swamped with work and pushed it off for Somebody else to do.

With the Passing of Somebody else I guess now it's time for everyone to step it up a little. The void of Somebody else not being around to do it, will surely result in less getting done. Take a minute and ask yourself the last time you said somebody else will do it. Wouldn't we all be better off, if the duties and work load that was the burden of Somebody else for so long, was shared across the membership of this organization.
www.newjo.org
StephenRGallagher

Postby Paul » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:47 am

I like it Stephen:

But I would go:
3 month
1 month
2 weeks
1 week
2 Days

I would also have the assoc supply the food.

People can be committed 3 months, 1 month and 2 weeks out, then something pops up. And vis a vi.
Paul

Postby Treasurer » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:54 am

Wait you want more journal entries for me? LOL
Steve N.
Treasurer NEA4WDC
Treasurer

Postby StephenRGallagher » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:08 pm

Paul wrote:I like it Stephen:

But I would go:
3 month
1 month
2 weeks
1 week
2 Days

I would also have the assoc supply the food.

People can be committed 3 months, 1 month and 2 weeks out, then something pops up. And vis a vi.

I agree with more postings but not sure about who will do it.

Also the first post could be in the newsletter. if these are going out quarterly there would be no need for 3 month if everyone is assurred to get the newsletter (which also could find itself being mailed to everyone on the list). Then I think you could get by with a two week, 1 week, 2 day or something along those lines.

Maybe there is an auto send program that these functions could be set up. I know yahoo groups calendar function gives you the option to set up to 14 days prior right down to the hour before, al done when you enter it into the calendar.
www.newjo.org
StephenRGallagher

Postby tammylynn » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:43 pm

I think this merits an addition to the Meeting Agenda. :wink: Let's discuss how we would set this up. It needs to be easy and I don't think it would be too difficult for people to opt-in on the website. The e-mails can be sent without exposing the recipient's addresses. We would have to include a Privacy Statement...again that is an easy mod.

I would be willing to compose and administer the e-mails if Jay would be willing to help me set this up on the site.

AFA e-mailing the newsletter, we would have a hard time doing that due to the size of the file but we can continue to e-mail/post a link the the page on the website.

Once this is set-up we post an announcement for clubs to disperse to their members and people can go to the website and sign up.

With regard to club info, I have just about completed the Club Roster spreadsheet I have been working on. This at least gives us the names of each member in each club, the state they reside in, the clubs they are affiliated with. It will remain current now for each year with updates to be submitted by May of each year from the clubs. This is something we can use when we need to show our "numbers".
tammylynn

Postby Paul » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:00 pm

Hammer the clubs with the best Opt-in letter you can muster.

make it totally positive and pro-active.

....."with so much new land to wheel and new trails to cut we need more and more help......"
Paul

Postby Scott Hatch » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:29 pm

StephenRGallagher wrote:I regretfully announce the passing of MR. Else. Mr Somebody Else was a long standing member of the associaiton and must have been a focal point to most tasks.

I found my self saying I've organized many and done my part Somebody esle will do it.

All too often I found myself saying I don't have time, Somebody else will do it.

All to often I found myself saying I already have too much on my plate and can't attend another meeting, Somebody Else will be there.

Many times I have read the request to take a minute and let a political representative person know what my oppinion is on a bill or new law.

All to often I have been swamped with work and pushed it off for Somebody else to do.

With the Passing of Somebody else I guess now it's time for everyone to step it up a little. The void of Somebody else not being around to do it, will surely result in less getting done. Take a minute and ask yourself the last time you said somebody else will do it. Wouldn't we all be better off, if the duties and work load that was the burden of Somebody else for so long, was shared across the membership of this organization.

Stephen this is great! Did you write this or was it from somewhere else? Can we use this for the newsletter with you listed as the author?
Scott Hatch

Postby JayZR2 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:46 pm

I don't know how we would be able to add an opt in button on the site. I'd have to research it, but as fa as I know right now there is no easy way to just click a button, type in your email address and be added to a list.

I have a couple of ideas for work arounds that would sen emails through the site. But people would have to register here and then be added to a user group.
noun
1. A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
JayZR2

Postby tammylynn » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:59 pm

Hmmm...how do companies administer this then? I know a really grass roots way to do it but I don't know how I would hide the e-mail addresses when sending the e-mails.

My only statement with this is it will not be an e-mail list where people can respond and carry on a conversation.
tammylynn

Postby StephenRGallagher » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:03 pm

Feel free to use it: Original author unkown, I took and embellished to better fit this association. Original concept came from a Boy Scout Leader.

Feel free to add more clauses to make it reach the speciffic projects on tap and the speciffic needs. I only know the ones i am stumbling across so there may be more important ones that could go into the obituary.

Scott Hatch wrote:
StephenRGallagher wrote:I regretfully announce the passing of MR. Else. Mr Somebody Else was a long standing member of the associaiton and must have been a focal point to most tasks.

Stephen this is great! Did you write this or was it from somewhere else? Can we use this for the newsletter with you listed as the author?
www.newjo.org
StephenRGallagher

Postby Paul » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:43 pm

I wouldnt put it in the newsletter personally.
I do think it is cute, funny, as we the choir read it.
But it has a negative connotation we don't need.
Paul

Postby JayZR2 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:03 pm

I'm sure there is a way, i just don't know it.
noun
JayZR2

Return to Off Topic-General Discussion