nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Firewood

Feel free to use this area for general banter but keep it clean.

Firewood

Postby Scott » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:36 pm

I figured this would be a good place to ask as we wheelers encounter loggers or logged trails often.

What are the laws in MA regarding logging. I'm only talking about going out and taking a few standing (prefably dead) trees a year for firewood. I'm also talking about "public lands" state forest, etc.
Scott Daigle

GAJR Treasurer
VTP Certified :)
Scott

Re: Firewood

Postby jsongy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:05 pm

Scott wrote:I figured this would be a good place to ask as we wheelers encounter loggers or logged trails often.

What are the laws in MA regarding logging. I'm only talking about going out and taking a few standing (prefably dead) trees a year for firewood. I'm also talking about "public lands" state forest, etc.

I would like you to rethink your idea with this in mind: Talk to your local EPO/DCR/WMA representative and explain that you would like to go into their "wilderness designated area" and remove only trees that are blowdowns,or deadfell trees.

They will go on to explain that the fell trees are providing new habitat areas for wildlife. :roll:

I've asked why the state does not produce cordwood from the fell trees from storms, beavers, or deadfell, and have been given similar answer. I felt I would ask because state parks say they don't get enough funding for maintainance or lifeguard, yet there is much cordwood that could allow self support for such necessities. Beavers only drop hardwood, so it's easy to sort. :idea:

Good luck.
A$$hole @ Large...Again
jsongy

Postby Paul » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:36 pm

They're logging the fawk out of October Mt state forest right now.

Personally, I'd take enough for a camp fire maybe, wouldn't touch nothing else, especially standing trees.
Guy that used to do stuff a long long time ago.
Paul

Postby Scott Hatch » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:30 am

There used to be a program for this but it was done away with because it was abused.

I would just start carrying a saw and cutting as you go on trial rides. You'll have your home heating needs taken care of in no time :up:
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby JayZR2 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:30 am

hyp·o·crite   [hip-uh-krit]
noun
1. A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
JayZR2

Postby jsongy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:04 am

Paul wrote:They're logging the fawk out of October Mt state forest right now.

Personally, I'd take enough for a camp fire maybe, wouldn't touch nothing else, especially standing trees.

I would believe they're logging for lumber use, not cordwood. I was describing the trees that are already down, that would be great for firewood.

A$$hole @ Large...Again
jsongy

Postby Scott » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:36 pm

I thought about it, It's kinda far for me to take my P/U for one load of wood. If I had an HD trailer to load also then it might be worth it.
It's also my anniversary on the 16th. My wife would kill me for the insurance $. :lol:
Scott Daigle

GAJR Treasurer
VTP Certified :)
Scott

Postby mike_belben » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:43 am

jsongy wrote:
Scott wrote:I figured this would be a good place to ask as we wheelers encounter loggers or logged trails often.

I would like you to rethink your idea with this in mind: Talk to your local EPO/DCR/WMA representative and explain that you would like to go into their "wilderness designated area" and remove only trees that are blowdowns,or deadfell trees.

They will go on to explain that the fell trees are providing new habitat areas for wildlife. :roll:

I've asked why the state does not produce cordwood from the fell trees from storms, beavers, or deadfell, and have been given similar answer. I felt I would ask because state parks say they don't get enough funding for maintainance or lifeguard, yet there is much cordwood that could allow self support for such necessities. Beavers only drop hardwood, so it's easy to sort. :idea:

Good luck.

the greenies that want wilderness are also the ones who love wildfires (some because they think its good for nature, and others because the wildfires usually burn nearby homeowners out of their precious woods) so logging always reduces the fuel for this magnificent tool. if the state had large scale lumber activity on a regular basis i think they would receive a lot of political opposition. im sure the state has had an earfull regarding october mtn as well.

in california, i read that 87% (IIRC) of all forest thinning plans on public lands get challenged in court by green activists, who win a large number of the cases. thats how they keep all those sweet wildfires going. not many other ways to keep wealthy people from living wherever the hell they want to.

and heaven forbid if your house burns down and the zoning changed just a decade ago.
Sink or Swim
mike_belben

Postby Treasurer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:52 am

mike_belben wrote:
jsongy wrote:

Good luck.

the greenies that want wilderness are also the ones who love wildfires (some because they think its good for nature, and others because the wildfires usually burn nearby homeowners out of their precious woods) so logging always reduces the fuel for this magnificent tool. if the state had large scale lumber activity on a regular basis i think they would receive a lot of political opposition. im sure the state has had an earfull regarding october mtn as well.

in california, i read that 87% (IIRC) of all forest thinning plans on public lands get challenged in court by green activists, who win a large number of the cases. thats how they keep all those sweet wildfires going. not many other ways to keep wealthy people from living wherever the hell they want to.

and heaven forbid if your house burns down and the zoning changed just a decade ago.

That is exactly what the greenies want is control of people. They could care less about saving the forests. You can see that when they allow excess fuel to be left in the woods to help wildfires burn out of control. The environmental movement is just a tool to control people.
Steve N.
Treasurer NEA4WDC
Treasurer

Postby lowrider90 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:38 pm

jsongy wrote:
Paul wrote:They're logging the fawk out of October Mt state forest right now.

I would believe they're logging for lumber use, not cordwood. I was describing the trees that are already down, that would be great for firewood.

Interestingly, up north there is a energy plant that used to burn wasted which is now burning wood chips. you will notice a shortage of vermont and NH hard wood this year I suspect. loads coming down to our area SE ma are slow. much of the wood is being chipped with full tree chippers to accomodate the need of the plant. prices are also going up on a weekly basis as demand for winter fuel is cranking up.
jay
lowrider90

Postby mike_belben » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:58 am

yeah, welcome to new england.
Sink or Swim
mike_belben

Return to Off Topic-General Discussion