nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Insurance ? for clubs regarding Buggies

Feel free to use this area for general banter but keep it clean.

Insurance ? for clubs regarding Buggies

Postby Zaedock » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:23 am

Hi guys,
I am in the process of building a buggy out of a wrecked 2000 TJ. I hope to wheel this creation with Baystate Jeepers next season. Our current bylaws require that your rig be registered & insured, however I am hoping to change that at our fall meeting.

The question of insurance came up. To the clubs that currently allow buggies (NE4W, DWE, etc) on runs, how do the buggy folks deal with insurance? I assume they don't worry about it?

Thanks.
Zaedock

Postby Treasurer » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:37 pm

The insurance is up to you. As you probably know some insurance companies do not cover accidents that happen while not on a public right of way.
Steve N.
Treasurer NEA4WDC
Treasurer

Re: Insurance ? for clubs regarding Buggies

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:24 pm

Zaedock wrote:Hi guys,
I am in the process of building a buggy out of a wrecked 2000 TJ. I hope to wheel this creation with Baystate Jeepers next season. Our current bylaws require that your rig be registered & insured, however I am hoping to change that at our fall meeting.

The question of insurance came up. To the clubs that currently allow buggies (NE4W, DWE, etc) on runs, how do the buggy folks deal with insurance? I assume they don't worry about it?

Thanks.

I would look into a "Special Construction" vehicle in Mass as one route.
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Re: Insurance ? for clubs regarding Buggies

Postby Zaedock » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:50 pm

mrfreakinwhite wrote:I would look into a "Special Construction" vehicle in Mass as one route.

No no, I'm not getting insurance. This will be a trail only rig but there are concerns from some of my club peers about them wheeling with me and what would happen if our vehicles somehow hit each other.

To be honest, I think it may be as Steve said. If it's private property, many might not be covered anyway.
Zaedock

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:22 am

Our club's insurance requires all the vehicles are insured.

There is one fella that slaps on a repair plate. The insurance is on the plate. A repair plate without the business to support it would cost more than insurance, imo, but if you have a good friend this could provide a legit enough loop hole.
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Postby rblank » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:57 am

It all depends on the type of policy to get Joe. If you're looking a a General Liability policy for the club, it will not cover an individual if one vehicle hits another. It's to protect the assets of the club against claim, not the members. Liza and Cory have been looking into this for our club because we're in the same situation. You might want to PM one of them.
Last edited by rblank on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rblank

Postby Zaedock » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:05 pm

rblank wrote:It all depends on the type of policy to get Joe. If you're looking a a General Liability policy for the club, it will not cover an individual if one vehicle hots another. It's to protect the assets of the club against claim, not the members. Liza and Cory have been looking into this for our club because we're in the same situation. You might want to PM one of them.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'd only be using it during certain runs (F&F, etc...) and not trails that require street driving. I'll have to see what the club says during the bylaw discussion at our meeting.

Thanks guys.
Zaedock

Postby Marty » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:12 pm

rblank wrote: If you're looking a a General Liability policy for the club, it will not cover an individual if one vehicle hots another.

Yeah but how does one vehicle hot another? :P :P
Jeep
Marty

Postby Paul » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:25 pm

I think our clubs rules are with the bathwater.

:paul:
Guy that used to do stuff a long long time ago.
Paul

Return to Off Topic-General Discussion