nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Head of EPA Considerations

Feel free to use this area for general banter but keep it clean.

Head of EPA Considerations

Postby tammylynn » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:03 am

Obama considering Robert Kennedy Jr. to head EPA.
Not only am I overjoyed to hear this, I would love to see Obama offer him the Cabinet post. He is perfect for the job. No one has fought harder for the environment, IMHO, than Robert Kennedy Jr.
Obama?s transition planners are weighing several other celebrity-level political stars for Cabinet posts, including retired Gen. Colin L. Powell for secretary of defense or education, the officials said.
Kennedy?s cousin, Caroline Kennedy, who helped Obama lead his vice presidential search, is being considered for U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, although some Obama officials doubt she would take the post. Obama is indebted to the Kennedy family for a hearty endorsement at a crucial point in the Democratic primaries.
The selection of Kennedy would be a shrewd early move for the new presidential team. Obama advisers said the nomination would please both Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.).
The EPA enforces clean air and clear water laws. Kennedy, an environmental lawyer and son of the late senator and attorney general Robert F. Kennedy, has long championed a cleaner water supply for New York City.
As an officer and attorney for the environmental watch group Riverkeeper, Kennedy has taken on governments and companies for polluting the Hudson River and Long Island Sound.
Kennedy gained Washington experience by fighting anti-environmental legislation in Congress in 1995 and 1996, when Newt Gingrich took over as House speaker.
Kennedy talked to Huffington Post about the consideration of the EPA post.
?You know what, I would be of service in any way that the administration asked me to be,? Kennedy told the Huffington Post. ?But I am also very happy and I believe I am being effective doing the stuff I am doing currently.?
This would give the EPA unprecedented stature unlike anything I can ever recall. It would also signal that Obama is going to make a strong commitment to the environment. After what we have witnessed with George W. Bush?s willful neglect and push to deregulate this agency; it will send a resounding message to the world that he is very serious about environmental issues facing our nation.
Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.?s reputation as a resolute defender of the environment stems from a litany of successful legal actions. Mr. Kennedy was named one of Time magazine?s ?Heroes for the Planet? for his success helping Riverkeeper lead the fight to restore the Hudson River. The group?s achievement helped spawn more than 130 Waterkeeper organizations across the globe.
Mr. Kennedy serves as Chief Prosecuting Attorney for the Hudson Riverkeeper and President of Waterkeeper Alliance. He is also a Clinical Professor and Supervising Attorney at Pace University School of Law?s Environmental Litigation Clinic and is co-host of Ring of Fire on Air America Radio. Earlier in his career he served as Assistant District Attorney in New York City. He has worked on several political campaigns including the presidential campaigns of Edward M. Kennedy in 1980, Al Gore in 2000 and John Kerry in 2004.

http://tpzoo.wordpress.com/2008/11/06/o ... -head-epa/
tammylynn

Return to Off Topic-General Discussion