nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

HELP STOP THE FEBRUARY 10TH BAN ON YOUTH OHVS

Feel free to use this area for general banter but keep it clean.

Postby nuthinfancy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:44 pm

Attention BRC Action Alert Subscriber,
On February 10, 2009, a new law regulating lead content in certain products will go into effect. This could adversely affect companies that manufacture or distribute youth model all-terrain vehicles and off-highway motorcycles and parts and accessories for those vehicles . Dealers that sell and service those products would be impacted as well.
The Specialty Vehicle Institute of America (SVIA) and the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) have urgently requested the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and federal legislators to take a common sense approach to implementation of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act's lead provisions.
SVIA and MIC have joined several of their member companies in filing petitions with the CPSC for emergency relief from the provisions. They are seeking a temporary final rule to exempt ATV and motorcycle components, parts and accessories in order to avoid major disruptions to enthusiasts, to the member companies' businesses, and to the companies' dealer network of thousands of small, independent businesses, which employ tens of thousands of Americans.
BRC is asking all OHV users to contact the Consumer Product Safety Commission and their elected officials today!
Use the following links to send your comments and to contact your Congressional Representatives.
Included below is a sample letter regarding the potential ban of all youth-oriented OHVs, which starts February 10, 2009.
CPSC Comment Page
http://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/info.aspx
Use the BRC Rapid Response Center to contact Members of Congress and cut, paste and edit the sample letter below.
http://www.sharetrails.org/rapid_response/
Thanks in advance for your support,
Ric Foster
Public Lands Department Manager
BlueRibbon Coalition
PS: BRC needs your support via membership and donations to help us continue our efforts to champion responsible OHV access to public lands. To sign up as a member or to make a donation, Click Here:
As a member of the OHV community, I want to voice my strong support for petitions filed recently by the Motorcycle Industry Council and Specialty Vehicle Institute of America to seek emergency relief from provisions, which go into effect on February 10, 2009.
While I do support efforts by the Consumer Product Safety Commission to protect children from lead content in products that truly present a risk to children, I do not believe the Commission intended that metal parts on ATVs and motorcycles be included in that regulation because they do not present a lead risk to children.
As the spring OHV recreation season rapidly approaches, I ask you to support efforts to exclude youth-oriented OHVs - and the businesses that sell and service them - from being unnecessarily impacted by this ban, especially during this economic crisis.
Sincerely,
Your name &
Address
Never Hurry, Never Wurry
http://www.nuthinfancy.us/
nuthinfancy

Return to Off Topic-General Discussion