nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

2009 Shane Beard Award

Feel free to use this area for general banter but keep it clean.

2009 Shane Beard Award

Postby JayZR2 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:02 am

For a little background information on Shane:
http://www.nea4wd.org/articles/index.cf ... cle_id=113

The Criteria for the award is :

Someone qualifying for this award must meet most if not all of the following requirements:

1. Active volunteer/leader within the wheeling community who maintains a positive influence for and with others.

2. Actively involved in land maintenance and acquisition opportunities for the sport.

3. Demonstrates responsibility and leadership on and off the trails. Promotes such characteristics in other members of the community as well.

4. Promotes and generates ideas that are practical for the entire family with regards to wheeling-related events.

Even though it is the 2009 Award it is for the 2008 time frame.
Previous winners include:
Domenic Pono Jr
Roy Van Gemert
Pat Charron

NEA Executive officers are not eligible. (Pat,Tammy, Scott, Steve or Jay)Paul is because he did not get voted in until Jan 09

Please submit your nomination with a brief paragraph outlining the person's qualification to Jay at spyderghel@comcast.net
Last edited by JayZR2 on Mon May 25, 2009 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
hyp·o·crite   [hip-uh-krit]
noun
1. A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
JayZR2

Postby Paul » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:46 am

maintains a positive influence for and with others

:bang:

That part just shoots me down every year!! :lol:
Guy that used to do stuff a long long time ago.
Paul

Postby JayZR2 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:52 pm

Today seems like a good day to bump this thread.
noun
1. A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
JayZR2

Postby JayZR2 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:45 am

bump
noun
JayZR2

Postby JayZR2 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:11 pm

Nominations I have received already:

Bic "XJ Maki" White

Bic works tirelessly reviewing topo maps, tax maps, old county road maps, tax info on land, finding owners of land, doing trail clean ups, doing trail maintenance, helping his club(s) gain access to private properties, overlaying GPS tracks onto topo maps, being pro-tread lightly, etc. He never asks for recognition, he never looks for the spot light, he just does things that are right.

Brian "BC" Churchill
I would like to nominate Brian Churchill. If I could think of anyone, I think Brian has been one of the closest to Shane's characteristics that I know. His dedication as a delegate to the NEA has been unmatched and he truly understands and respects the commitment he has made to the organization. In spite of his location, which is probably the most distance than any of our other members, he has managed to make NEA meetings and events with no complaints. He has the perfect balance of family and hobby, just as Shane did. Brian always has a level headed approach to things and is just a genuine person to be around. I can honestly say my time spent with Brian has been equal to the conversations and times I spent with Shane.

Joe "Zaedock" Ostrenga

I would like to nominate Joe Ostrenga for the Shane Beard Award.
Joe is an asset to the sport we all enjoy, no matter which club he belongs to - sometimes found at the front lines, most certainly found behind the scenes. Joe has participated in many clean-ups, right there with his truck or Jeep and trailer. Joe has also been involved in several land issues, to include Coy Hill in 2007-08 where he developed a working relationship with the Ware Conservation Commissioner as well as the local landowner affected by the damage. More recently, Joe has volunteered to oversee the Gremlin Graveyard property.
He is a great example of a person who works for the good of the OHV community.
Joe does not hesitate to jump right in wherever needed, just ask the many fellow wheelers he has help get home from a trail ride, no matter what the weather, conditions or situation.
In additional to his dedication and commitment to our sport, Joe is a devoted husband and dad ? foregoing trail rides to coach his daughter?s Saturday soccer games and also volunteering at his son?s pre-school. He is actively involved in his local community, putting in many hours on a woodland walking/hiking trail as well as serving on one of the town committees.
Joe is a man who wears many hats and is most deserving of the award in honor of a man he exemplifies.

Chris "Chrid" Donoghue

Chris contributes to the sport in so many ways. He had the most attendance at volunteer events in 2008, from trail work days to helping man the NEA booth at events. With out being asked he pitched in at Fall Crawl where a hand was needed. He is usually the first to offer assistance on the trail if someone breaks down, needs a spot, or help with recovery.
He was instrumental in helping the Strategic Planning Committee reach their conclusions, and presentation for the BOD to consider.
Chris brings the perfect balance of fun and work to our hobby.

Bob "axle" Butler

I would like to nominate Bob Axle (axle) for this award.

I believe he has been involved in our sport since most of us were in diapers - I always liked Huggies.... Anyway, I have been a member of New England Jeepz since 2005 and Bob is one of those guys who is the "meat" of the club, I don?t mean that how most of you are probably takin' it. I mean that our club and some of this sport would die of starvation without him. He has been VP of our club, acted as President and IS the official President now, and I don?t see anyone replacing him any time soon. He is VERY active with our sport, helps with the up-keep of our private land, and wheels more than most, none of it illegally. Hosts "wheeling101" on his property and leads the groups on class VI roads near his home in order to teach proper wheeling and etiquette to those who have little experience... the class has even helped others with as much experience as him (but let?s be honest - there aren?t many Brontosaurus' left wheeling!)

Bob all kidding aside, whether you win this award or not, thank you for your ongoing dedication to this sport and for always having one of the most positive attitudes I have ever seen out of any of us red necked mud eating rock throwing broke in the woods adventure seeking outdoors guys.
Last edited by JayZR2 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noun
JayZR2

Postby Smtty58 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:06 pm

Is the list of nominees finalized? I want to pass this on to my club for input.
Director at Large- Western Mass. 4x4
NEA Delegate
Smtty58

Postby JayZR2 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:10 pm

One more nomination received tonight.
I'll give it till the end of the week.
noun
JayZR2

Postby JayZR2 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:52 am

Joe is our 2009 Shane Beard Award Winner. Congratulations Joe.

JayZR2 wrote:
Joe "Zaedock" Ostrenga

I would like to nominate Joe Ostrenga for the Shane Beard Award.
Joe is an asset to the sport we all enjoy, no matter which club he belongs to - sometimes found at the front lines, most certainly found behind the scenes. Joe has participated in many clean-ups, right there with his truck or Jeep and trailer. Joe has also been involved in several land issues, to include Coy Hill in 2007-08 where he developed a working relationship with the Ware Conservation Commissioner as well as the local landowner affected by the damage. More recently, Joe has volunteered to oversee the Gremlin Graveyard property.
He is a great example of a person who works for the good of the OHV community.
Joe does not hesitate to jump right in wherever needed, just ask the many fellow wheelers he has help get home from a trail ride, no matter what the weather, conditions or situation.
In additional to his dedication and commitment to our sport, Joe is a devoted husband and dad ? foregoing trail rides to coach his daughter?s Saturday soccer games and also volunteering at his son?s pre-school. He is actively involved in his local community, putting in many hours on a woodland walking/hiking trail as well as serving on one of the town committees.
Joe is a man who wears many hats and is most deserving of the award in honor of a man he exemplifies.

noun
JayZR2

Postby axle » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:20 am

Yay Joe!
Bob Butler, New England Jeepz
axle

Postby XJ Maki » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:40 am

Awesome Joe...congratulations that's well deserved 8)
Bic W.
Northeast Jeep Org.
XJ Maki

Postby Zaedock » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:45 pm

Thanks guys.

I'd like to congratulate my fellow nominees. Thank you ALL for your contributions to our sport and community. :up:
Zaedock

Return to Off Topic-General Discussion