nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Training Courses

Feel free to use this area for general banter but keep it clean.

Training Courses

Postby tammylynn » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:09 am

Just curious as to what interests there are for attending a course or seminar on? These could be organized through the NEA or through a club. For instance the NEA is currently working on the Safety Patrol Program and Land Use courses.

I know we also have the resources to do Chainsaw/Trail Cutting, CB Operation/Installation, etc. These could even be done in the field instead of sitting in a room listening to a lecture.

It doesn't make sense to look into any of this if nobody has an interest in them but if there are people interested I would be willing to work on making them happen. Perhaps there are clubs who already offer their members some type of training and they'd be willing to open it up to other NEA members.
tammylynn

Postby ChrisD » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:10 pm

Ooh, trail cutting.

Maybe we could pool the collective knowledge of the NEA for a self-recovery/extraction seminar.
VP NEZR2, Inc.
ChrisD

Postby SidewaysTim » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:50 pm

Chainsaw/trail cutting
Baystate Jeepers
Official Tuner of Jay's CB
SidewaysTim

Postby JayZR2 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:17 pm

First Aid
hyp·o·crite   [hip-uh-krit]
noun
1. A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
JayZR2

Postby schwalby » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:44 pm

Tools and equipement that is good to bring on trail rides.
Josh Schwalb

Co-Chairman - Great American Charitable Events
Co-Chairman - Great American Jeep Rally
Creator - Folded Flag Tribute Jeep
schwalby

Postby SidewaysTim » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:26 pm

JayZR2 wrote:First Aid

x2, that's a good one.
Spill mitigation
Baystate Jeepers
Official Tuner of Jay's CB
SidewaysTim

Postby tammylynn » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:50 pm

I'm thinking we could tie some of these together..such as the trail equipment and spill mitigation with trail cutting/chainsaw safety.

Or spill mitigation could be tied in with the Land Use course.

Good ideas...keep em coming!!!
tammylynn

Postby rblank » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:28 pm

I'd like to see something about trail management mixed into trail cutting. It's easy to point in a direction and let guys loose with chainsaws. It's more difficult to locate trails where they'll have the least impact. and our sport inherently has some amount of impact. We should be on the look out for potential trouble areas before we even start using the trails and install preventitive maintenance measures in the beginning (i.e. waterbars, silt fencing, culverts, etc.)
*DISCLAIMER* - The views expressed herein are the personal views of the author and do not in any way represent, nor imply to represent, the views of the North East Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, it's officers, members, or affiliates.
rblank

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:43 pm

rblank wrote:I'd like to see something about trail management mixed into trail cutting. It's easy to point in a direction and let guys loose with chainsaws. It's more difficult to locate trails where they'll have the least impact. and our sport inherently has some amount of impact. We should be on the look out for potential trouble areas before we even start using the trails and install preventitive maintenance measures in the beginning (i.e. waterbars, silt fencing, culverts, etc.)

x2

It's hard to put one priority in front of another when it comes to safety and other choices, but compare the mission and vision of the NEA to CBs and First Aid and Trail Cutting/Maintenance/Sustainable Trail Building and we have a winner.
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Postby tammylynn » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:12 pm

mrfreakinwhite wrote:
rblank wrote:I'd like to see something about trail management mixed into trail cutting. It's easy to point in a direction and let guys loose with chainsaws. It's more difficult to locate trails where they'll have the least impact. and our sport inherently has some amount of impact. We should be on the look out for potential trouble areas before we even start using the trails and install preventitive maintenance measures in the beginning (i.e. waterbars, silt fencing, culverts, etc.)

x2

It's hard to put one priority in front of another when it comes to safety and other choices, but compare the mission and vision of the NEA to CBs and First Aid and Trail Cutting/Maintenance/Sustainable Trail Building and we have a winner.

I agree wholeheartedly. FTR some of the stuff Roger mentioned will be covered in the Land Use course but definitely be covered in it's own course.

CBs and FA are easy enough to work in without much effort and could even be done on club levels. For example DWE holds a CB Tech Day open to the NEA or NEZR2 organizes a First Aid training and opens it to the NEA. They are both very good suggestions!
tammylynn

Postby icefisher45 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:36 pm

First aid and land use.
icefisher45

Postby jonnyri » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:49 pm

x3 :up:
jonnyri

Postby RIJeeps » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:21 pm

I'm Game for all of them
Jeff Sacilowski

Ocean State Jeepsters Events Coordinator
RIJeeps

Postby Ryan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:48 am

I like them all too.

I would like to see 'land acquisition" how to figure out who owns it and the steps required to gain access.

A map reading/making/GPS usage course would be nice too.
Freedom Trail Riders
Ryan Schneider
Delegate
Ryan
Site Admin

Postby Scott Hatch » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:33 am

I need to blow the dust of the course Tammy and I threw together...perhaps I could a little showing after the meeting?
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:47 pm

Ryan wrote:I like them all too.

I would like to see 'land acquisition" how to figure out who owns it and the steps required to gain access.

A map reading/making/GPS usage course would be nice too.

Save money and buy it!
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Postby tammylynn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:49 pm

Scott Hatch wrote:I need to blow the dust of the course Tammy and I threw together...perhaps I could a little showing after the meeting?

There is not much on the Agenda..why not during the meeting? It is going to be tight after the meeting for those of us heading over to Roger's dinner.
tammylynn

Postby tammylynn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:50 pm

Ryan wrote:A map reading/making/GPS usage course would be nice too.

Very, very good suggestion!
tammylynn

Postby ChrisRyan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:09 pm

If there is a first aid and or cpr course I would love to re cert... just tossing that out there.
ChrisRyan

Return to Off Topic-General Discussion