nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

our new club logo

Feel free to use this area for general banter but keep it clean.

our new club logo

Postby mastertek2000 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:45 pm

well i am not the best with photo shop but came up with this let me know what you think

http://usajeepowners.com/
USAJEEPOWNERS inc.
Founder/B.O.D/President
mastertek2000

Postby JayZR2 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:42 pm

Gonna be big bucks if you ever want swag made with it.
hyp·o·crite   [hip-uh-krit]
noun
1. A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
JayZR2

Postby mastertek2000 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:41 pm

it's only money LOL but what do you think
USAJEEPOWNERS inc.
Founder/B.O.D/President
mastertek2000

Postby PatriotJeep » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:49 pm

The out side tire logo has been done before 20+ years ago I used it as the New England 4 Wheelers logo.
PatriotJeep

Postby jsongy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:20 pm

PatriotJeep wrote:The out side tire logo has been done before 20+ years ago I used it as the New England 4 Wheelers logo.

From an R/C car?
A$$hole @ Large...Again
jsongy

Postby Scott Hatch » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:49 am

PatriotJeep wrote:The out side tire logo has been done before 20+ years ago I used it as the New England 4 Wheelers logo.

:roll: Oh brother....and it was done BEFORE NE4Wi with clubs out west also
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby tammylynn » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:07 am

I think it looks great, but I would probably make the Jeep a bit more generic unless you already have connections with the printer. I'd think you'd have to get permission from Jeep to use the actual Rubi pic.
tammylynn

Postby mastertek2000 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:46 pm

tammylynn wrote:I think it looks great, but I would probably make the Jeep a bit more generic unless you already have connections with the printer. I'd think you'd have to get permission from Jeep to use the actual Rubi pic.

y would i need permission to use my jeep to per mote my jeep club or site that is a nonprofit organization
USAJEEPOWNERS inc.
Founder/B.O.D/President
mastertek2000

Postby tammylynn » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:33 pm

Perhaps because Jeep owns the Rubi and the name Jeep on anything! :wink: I don't know that you need permission but I'd check into it before I started printing mass quantities of anything with the logo...especially if you intend to sell merchandise.
tammylynn

Postby JayZR2 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:48 pm

Now your claiming you invented the wheel?
noun
1. A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
JayZR2

Postby mastertek2000 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:08 pm

tammylynn wrote:Perhaps because Jeep owns the Rubi and the name Jeep on anything! :wink: I don't know that you need permission but I'd check into it before I started printing mass quantities of anything with the logo...especially if you intend to sell merchandise.

that's the hole thing they will not be sold they are the official member sticker
USAJEEPOWNERS inc.
Founder/B.O.D/President
mastertek2000

Postby Sporin » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:15 am

This is not a reflection on your idea or Pshop skills, but just from a practical standpoint, that is unprintable.

Keep working at it though, logo design is a process.... simplify, simplify, simplify.
Sporin

Postby mastertek2000 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:25 pm

Sporin wrote:This is not a reflection on your idea or Pshop skills, but just from a practical standpoint, that is unprintable.

Keep working at it though, logo design is a process.... simplify, simplify, simplify.

you fail to see the point here this is going to be official club member stickers
and is not unprintable and as far as skill this is my first attempt at this stuff LOL
USAJEEPOWNERS inc.
Founder/B.O.D/President
mastertek2000

Postby Sporin » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:32 pm

My sarcasm was not clear I guess... of course it's not actually "unprintable" ... anything is printable for a price.

I'm not being a jerk, I'm trying to lend advice. I've made my living as a graphic designer for 15 years, and my first job out of college was at a screen printer.

The first question out of ANY sticker or Tshirt printer's mouth will be "How many colors is it?"

What you have there is a "full color" design. What it means is that the 4 printed colors (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow & Black) in various screen densities, overlay each other to create all the colors and the design.

Many sticker places don't even print CMYK process, and the ones that do usually only do large quantities. Same with Tshirt printers.

Generally you pay by the color. 1-color, say just black on a white sticker background, is the cheapest. Double the colors and it goes up higher. ANd rpinting CMYK for a process picture is more complicated then printing 4 chosen spot colors because there is a lot of post-production work to be done to get the sticker or shirt to look like the art.

To give you an example, 250 of our Yankee Toys stickers, which are 1 color (black) printed on bright yellow vinyl 3" rounds, was $255.

Like I said, I'm not being snide, good luck with your project, I genuinely hope it works out for you.
Sporin

Postby mastertek2000 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:50 pm

Sporin wrote:My sarcasm was not clear I guess... of course it's not actually "unprintable" ... anything is printable for a price.

I'm not being a jerk, I'm trying to lend advice. I've made my living as a graphic designer for 15 years, and my first job out of college was at a screen printer.

The first question out of ANY sticker or Tshirt printer's mouth will be "How many colors is it?"

What you have there is a "full color" design. What it means is that the 4 printed colors (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow & Black) in various screen densities, overlay each other to create all the colors and the design.

Many sticker places don't even print CMYK process, and the ones that do usually only do large quantities. Same with Tshirt printers.

Generally you pay by the color. 1-color, say just black on a white sticker background, is the cheapest. Double the colors and it goes up higher. ANd rpinting CMYK for a process picture is more complicated then printing 4 chosen spot colors because there is a lot of post-production work to be done to get the sticker or shirt to look like the art.

To give you an example, 250 of our Yankee Toys stickers, which are 1 color (black) printed on bright yellow vinyl 3" rounds, was $255.

Like I said, I'm not being snide, good luck with your project, I genuinely hope it works out for you.

got a quote 2 bucks each had to order 50 5 inch round
USAJEEPOWNERS inc.
Founder/B.O.D/President
mastertek2000

Postby Sporin » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:01 pm

That is fantastic, please do pass along the contact info if you are happy with the final product.
Sporin

Postby Scott Hatch » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:04 pm

Make sure the vinyl is outdoor quality and will resist sun fading
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby Zaedock » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:35 pm

I like it, but IMO, it would look better with a swamper.

Zaedock

Postby Paul » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:41 pm

:popcorn:
Guy that used to do stuff a long long time ago.
Paul

Postby rblank » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:15 pm

everyone knows Irok's are the best all around New England wheeling tire.
*DISCLAIMER* - The views expressed herein are the personal views of the author and do not in any way represent, nor imply to represent, the views of the North East Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, it's officers, members, or affiliates.
rblank

Postby mightymeglet » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:18 pm

If we are going to get picky over a tire, shouldent it be the same that's on the Jeep in the logo.
mightymeglet

Postby smokinsilverrt » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:03 pm

Tim Connors,delagate for Deep Woods Extreme
smokinsilverrt

Postby Ltrain » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:23 pm

The love in here is overwhelming ..... I can feel it.

To get back on topic .... What do you all think about the logo.

(**Hint Hint - Looks Good!)
Ltrain

Postby Ltrain » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:54 pm

tammylynn wrote:Perhaps because Jeep owns the Rubi and the name Jeep on anything! :wink: I don't know that you need permission but I'd check into it before I started printing mass quantities of anything with the logo...especially if you intend to sell merchandise.

I highly doubt this .... seeing we have a a symbiotic relationship with the company. Basically we are promoting the company for them, not cutting there throat. The main reason we don't let guys with Toyotas join our club ... god forbid the gas pedal sticks.

Rubicon is generic....Jeep on the other hand is specific that would mean Rubicon Express is infringing.

I would imagine that jeep has tradmarked there 7 slot grille and everyone in the world who creates a t shirt or logo would be in violation. When you see hummer making H3's with 7 slot grilles then i would show some concern.

But thanks for the help .... anyway!
Ltrain

Postby Paul » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:14 pm

Ltrain wrote:

I highly doubt this .... seeing we have a a symbiotic relationship with the company. Basically we are promoting the company for them, not cutting there throat. The main reason we don't let guys with Toyotas join our club ... god forbid the gas pedal sticks.

Rubicon is generic....Jeep on the other hand is specific that would mean Rubicon Express is infringing.

I would imagine that jeep has tradmarked there 7 slot grille and everyone in the world who creates a t shirt or logo would be in violation. When you see hummer making H3's with 7 slot grilles then i would show some concern.

You would think....but that makes sense....they can and have sued us in the past. :paul:
Guy that used to do stuff a long long time ago.
Paul

Postby JayZR2 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:15 pm

Ltrain wrote:The love in here is overwhelming ..... I can feel it.

He asked for feedback and it was given. Do you just want to hear people say it looks good? The interweb is a dangerous place to ask for feedback because people feel a sense of security giving it from behind the safety of their keyboard. That has pro's and con's. You will more likely get an honest answer then if you were face to face, but it's not always what you want to hear.

Ltrain wrote:

Jeep sued Hummer over the use of the 7 slots in the early 2000's. It was ultimately dropped because the 7 slot design is registered to AMC which initially made both vehicles or something like that. I forget all the details.

It's not about being in competition with Jeep. It's about them getting a piece of the pie for using their trademarked designs.
Realistically would they go after a small time club? Probably not. Is it still technically using their design without permission? Yes.

All that being said, it's one of the better designs for clubs that I've seen. A lot more detailed for sure.
noun
JayZR2

Postby Scott Hatch » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:31 pm

Adding to that, Norm had told me about the issues he had with using the name"Jeep" and selling Jeep merchandise. After All Things Jeep kicked them over a % they were happy
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby Ltrain » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:53 pm

Scott Hatch wrote:Adding to that, Norm had told me about the issues he had with using the name"Jeep" and selling Jeep merchandise. After All Things Jeep kicked them over a % they were happy

This makes sense .... AllThingsJeep is vendor who is using the the trade name Jeep to turn a profit. And if this is the case any club using the name JEEP as part of the club name or part of their domain name is assuming risk.

Risky stuff I would imagine......
Ltrain

Postby Ryan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:17 pm

The Logo is super detailed, I kind of like it, but take this from a club with a colorful logo and 70 bazillion fonts. On shirts so much ink is needed they crack easily.

And Hummer has used the 7 slot design from the start, H1, H2, Ect. Jeep did take them to court and lost. I am sure MILLIONS were spent between the two in legal fees. I wouldn't worry to much about it on the club level though.
Freedom Trail Riders
Ryan Schneider
Delegate
Ryan
Site Admin

Postby Ltrain » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:45 pm

Ryan wrote:The Logo is super detailed, I kind of like it, but take this from a club with a colorful logo and 70 bazillion fonts. On shirts so much ink is needed they crack easily.

And Hummer has used the 7 slot design from the start, H1, H2, Ect. Jeep did take them to court and lost. I am sure MILLIONS were spent between the two in legal fees. I wouldn't worry to much about it on the club level though.

Thanks....
Ltrain

Postby Ltrain » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:51 pm

Paul wrote:
Ltrain wrote:

You would think....but that makes sense....they can and have sued us in the past. :paul:

Did they win????
Ltrain

Postby KWest » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:32 pm

Ltrain wrote:

Not sure exactly why, but the Jeep Club part seems redundant
KWest

Postby XJ Maki » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:39 pm

I think it looks pretty good and I don't mind the photo part, I figure you can always grayscale it or run it through a PS filter or just get someone to sketch a line drawing in order to print tshirts and stuff in the future without having to redo the whole design.

The only thing I really don't like about it is the R/C toy car tire (as jsongy pointed out) I think that looks very, very....odd.

But it's your club - your logo - so if you like it that's what really matters. 8)
Bic W.
Northeast Jeep Org.
XJ Maki

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:41 am

I like the flag in the background but also agree that the tire choice is wrong. If I were designing it, I would use a photo of a JK rubicon wheel/tire. The BFG tires on those are vehicle specific with the tread ONLY available on that size tire. It is not an MT KM or MT KM2 tread, it is truly unique to the 2007 and up Rubi (although I think they say KM on the sidewall).

Simple and less detailed is easier to manufacture, recognize and will provide a better 'branding' of your club. I would think the goal of a club sticker is to help promote the club and make your members' stickers recognizable to others, therefore simpler is more effective.
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Postby Zaedock » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:08 am

mrfreakinwhite wrote: I would think the goal of a club sticker is to help promote the club and make your members' stickers recognizable to others, therefore simpler is more effective.

That sums up most Jeep folks.

*off road simpletons* :lol:
Zaedock

Postby tammylynn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:58 am

In my original post I did stroke your egos and say it looks nice because it does. As far as stickers go it is probably fine. But for use on anything else in a printed version it isn't very practical. I've worked in media design to include logos, printing, publishing, copyrights, etc. I'm not challenging your designs to be a jerk, I am just throwing out something to consider because I know a little about it, as do others here who've been there and done that. :wink: Ultimately you all will do as you wish and in that case...good luck and best wishes.
tammylynn

Postby Ltrain » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:11 pm

tammylynn wrote:

In my original post I did stroke your egos and say it looks nice because it does. As far as stickers go it is probably fine. But for use on anything else in a printed version it isn't very practical. I've worked in media design to include logos, printing, publishing, copyrights, etc. I'm not challenging your designs to be a jerk, I am just throwing out something to consider because I know a little about it, as do others here who've been there and done that. :wink: Ultimately you all will do as you wish and in that case...good luck and best wishes.

Thank you Tammylynn your input is much appreciated .... Sincerely!
Ltrain

Postby Ltrain » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:42 pm

XJ Maki wrote:I think it looks pretty good and I don't mind the photo part, I figure you can always grayscale it or run it through a PS filter or just get someone to sketch a line drawing in order to print tshirts and stuff in the future without having to redo the whole design.

The only thing I really don't like about it is the R/C toy car tire (as jsongy pointed out) I think that looks very, very....odd.

But it's your club - your logo - so if you like it that's what really matters. 8)

Kudos to you ..... Exactly our thoughts! But on the other hand with the hopes that were are within our legal rights.
Ltrain

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:43 am

Jeep isn't really going to care about your club logo. The licensing co. seems to get upset about some things, but you'll be fine. Like someone said, they're happy to have you keep the cult alive because it perpetuates Jeep vehicle sales.
If you were using a TM Jeep image with Calvin peeing on it with an H2 shirt on, you might get a cease and desist or something.
If you were working with the licensing co. on getting a license to manufacture Jeep (item) and on the other hand you were selling stickers that said Jeeps Stink, they might say something like, "We'll help you get licensing for Jeep (item), but you have to stop selling your Jeeps Stink decal."

If you had a website selling unlicensed Jeep goods for profit, they might say you have to stop.

There must be over a 1,000 different, Jeep specific clubs out there doing the same thing with no issues.
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Postby jsongy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 am

Ltrain wrote:
XJ Maki wrote:I think it looks pretty good and I don't mind the photo part, I figure you can always grayscale it or run it through a PS filter or just get someone to sketch a line drawing in order to print tshirts and stuff in the future without having to redo the whole design.

Kudos to you ..... Exactly our thoughts! But on the other hand with the hopes that were are within our legal rights.

My comment about using the R/C tire, was aimed at Rich.(He'd used that tire image for the last 20+ years) :roll: :lol:

See how the first decals come out. I do understand the concept of it being difficult to print properly. UJ changed it's design, not only to be new/different, but to reduce costs in printing and cracking on sweatshirts.

Good luck
A$$hole @ Large...Again
jsongy

Return to Off Topic-General Discussion