nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

CERT training for search and rescue..

Feel free to use this area for general banter but keep it clean.

CERT training for search and rescue..

Postby Scott SKEETER Brown » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:05 pm

Okay more info here, if this is a repost sorry.

http://www.cert-la.com/links/Maine.htm

Local government prepares for everyday emergencies. However, during a disaster, the number and scope of incidents can overwhelm conventional emergency services. The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program is an all-risk, all-hazard training. This valuable course is designed to help you protect yourself, your family, your neighbors and your neighborhood in an emergency situation.
CERT is a positive and realistic approach to emergency and disaster situations where citizens may initially be on their own and their actions can make a difference. While people will respond to others in need without the training, one goal of the CERT program is to help them do so effectively and efficiently without placing themselves in unnecessary danger. In the CERT training, citizens learn to:

manage utilities and put out small fires,
treat the three medical killers by opening airways,
controlling bleeding, and treating for shock,
provide basic medical aid,
search for and rescue victims safely,
organize themselves and spontaneous volunteers to be effective,
and collect disaster intelligence to support first responder efforts.

http://www.cert-la.com/WhatIsCert.htm
SKEETER
Scott Brown

NEWJO Maine
Overland Jeepers of Maine
Scott SKEETER Brown
Site Admin

Postby Scott Hatch » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:02 pm

Not a re-post....seems like a great idea and something we could help with.

Scott
Scott Hatch

Postby Scott SKEETER Brown » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:24 pm

I have had several NEWJO-Maine members ask me to look into something like this. I just never knew a ready made program existed, and it would allow us to add our specialized rigs to enhance their/our efforts.

Beside image going to a landowner and asking for permission to use their land to "hone our search and rescue technics in addition to just enjoying the outdoors"
SKEETER
Scott Brown

NEWJO Maine
Scott SKEETER Brown
Site Admin

Postby KJP98TJ » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:57 am

interested.
KJP98TJ

Postby jeepndd » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:35 pm

The only trouble is that in most cases we would not be allowed to assist unless we were on foot. The vast majority of search and rescues are held on public lands because that is where the majority of people get lost. They will not let you on public land. Near where I live we have several people who get injured on Mount Major each year, it's public land. The local firefighters end up having to carry them down on foot when this happens and it always seems to be for nothing more than a sprained ankle. It's crazy, there is a perfectly good road that is used for a hiking trail now but there used to be a cabin that people drove to.
Don
jeepndd

Postby supazuk » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:57 pm

i have been talking about this same type of thing on the other boards
supazuk

Postby Scott SKEETER Brown » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:42 pm

supazuk wrote:i have been talking about this same type of thing on the other boards

I have updated this on NEWJO, basically saying that I still haven't heard from them and that have a phone number that I need to call to see if I can get the ball rolling for this winter.
SKEETER
Scott Brown

NEWJO Maine
Scott SKEETER Brown
Site Admin

Postby Scott SKEETER Brown » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:55 pm

Update:

I have spoken with a woman in the Emergency Management Agency/Search and Rescue. Based on our conversation she is going to have the Director of the whole program (not just search and rescue) get in touch with me so we can meet sometime soon. After this meeting I should have a better idea of what's available/needed. I plan on having a NEWJO-Maine meeting with this guy as a speaker sometime in Feb 2006 if I can.

I also mentioned that I am part of the NEA and that a lot of the clubs in the Northeast are interested in persuing this. Hope I wasn't out of line.
SKEETER
Scott Brown

NEWJO Maine
Scott SKEETER Brown
Site Admin

Postby Scott Hatch » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:23 pm

Great work! :up:

Keep us updated...I know I'm interested and I'm sure there will be others

Scott
Scott Hatch

Postby Scott SKEETER Brown » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:41 pm

Jan 9, 2006 update:

I have a meeting with the director of the York County Emergency Management Agency the end of this week. This individual oversee's all programs of which Search and Rescue is just one area. He is very excited to meet with me and get the ball rolling. He is also very interested in doing a presentation for all those interested in at a later date. I am shooting for mid to late Feb for this meeting. Everyone will be welcome.

Scott Brown
SKEETER
Scott Brown

NEWJO Maine
Scott SKEETER Brown
Site Admin

Postby Scott SKEETER Brown » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:41 pm

SKEETER
Scott Brown

NEWJO Maine