nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

2012 Shane Beard Award Nominations

Feel free to use this area for general banter but keep it clean.

2012 Shane Beard Award Nominations

Postby tammylynn » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:59 am

It is time to submit your 2012 Shane Beard Award nominations which will be voted on at the August 25th meeting and presented at Fall Crawl.

Criteria for the Award:
Someone qualifying for this award must meet most if not all of the following requirements:

1. Active volunteer/leader within the wheeling community who maintains a positive influence for and with others.

2. Actively involved in land maintenance and acquisition opportunities for the sport.

3. Demonstrates responsibility and leadership on and off the trails. Promotes such characteristics in other members of the community as well.

4. Promotes and generates ideas that are practical for the entire family with regards to wheeling-related events.

Past Recipients of the Award:
Domenic Pono
Roy Van Gemert
Pat Charron
Bob Butler
Joe Ostrenga
Scott Hatch

Submissions:
Please submit your nominations with a brief statement of why you/your club has selected this person one of two ways:
1. to Tammy via PM or email. I will post up nominations in this thread as I receive them. Club delegates should share these with their clubs and be prepared to vote for their selection at the meeting.
2. If you don't care about your anonymity, you can just post your nomination here.

Current Executive Officers and those serving in an Executive position during 2011 are now eligible recipients.

2013 Nominees
Eric Weybrandt
Jason Ghelli
Scott Dollard
Katrinka Tyrseck
John Price
Mike White
Ryan Frost
Scott Cairns
Bic White
tammylynn

Re: 2012 Shane Beard Award Nominations

Postby axle » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:28 pm

I think Joe was before me.
Bob Butler, New England Jeepz
axle

Postby tammylynn » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:10 pm

I wasn't listing in order...just from memory.
tammylynn

Postby tammylynn » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:11 am

Nomination for Eric Weybrandt submitted by a member of MassKrawlers:

Hi Tammy,

When I read about

"Criteria for the Award:
Someone qualifying for this award must meet most if not all of the following requirements:
1. Active volunteer/leader within the wheeling community who maintains a positive influence for and with others.
2. Actively involved in land maintenance and acquisition opportunities for the sport.
3. Demonstrates responsibility and leadership on and off the trails. Promotes such characteristics in other members of the community as well.
4. Promotes and generates ideas that are practical for the entire family with regards to wheeling-related events."

The name that pops into mind is Eric Weybrandt . IMHO, Eric more than qualifies in all four areas, and would like to nominate him, with my club's blessing, for candidacy.
tammylynn

Postby axle » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:42 am

I was thinking Eric as well. :up:
axle

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:39 pm

I'm honored (and surprised!) that somebody would consider nominating me for this award. My contribution to the Association has been relatively small compared to many others. I'm not completely up-to-speed on the eligibility criteria but in my mind if there is anybody who is deserving of this award right now then its Jay. Seriously.
Eric

Postby axle » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:46 pm

this is for the past year, so Jay is not eligible, correct? if he is, then he does deserve it as well.
axle

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:20 pm

axle wrote:this is for the past year, so Jay is not eligible, correct? if he is, then he does deserve it as well.
imo, jay was bod, is no longer bod at the time of nominations, so he would be qualified for nomination
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Postby tammylynn » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:33 pm

Unfortunately the award is based on the previous year for which it is being presented and at this time Executive Officers aren't eligible. Trust me, if J was eligible I would've nominated him myself by now. He will be eligible next year so we can all draw straws. :lol:
tammylynn

Postby tammylynn » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:39 pm

I just wanted to remind clubs that nominees don't have to be people who are always in the spotlight for NEA4WDC projects and what not. They can be people in your own clubs who you/your club feels has met the criteria listed above! Shane was active in his club and the sport before he was ever involved in the NEA4WDC!
tammylynn

Postby JayZR2 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:00 pm

Brendan made a motion to change the criteria for the Shane Beard Award to include the Executive officers. Lyle seconded the motion. Motion passes with 1 Abstain.

source

While I appreciate the mention of my name in such elite company, IMO Scott Dollard deserves this more then anyone right now. He basically put his personal plans on hold for 2 years in order to cut and maintain trails for everyone else to use. I know it must have been frustrating to sacrifice shop hours to cut trails for other people to wheel and he did it willingly with a smile.

I would officially like to nominate Scott Dollard for the Shane Beard award. Can you imagine the trail network we would have if Shane, Scott H and Scott D had all met in their prime wheeling days?
hyp·o·crite   [hip-uh-krit]
noun
1. A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
JayZR2

Postby axle » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:14 pm

:up:
axle

Postby axle » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:18 pm

John Price would be deserving as well. John has done clean-ups, fundraisers, volunteered to help with NEA events, and more. He is a good representative of the wheeling community.
axle

Postby tammylynn » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:42 pm

JayZR2 wrote:Brendan made a motion to change the criteria for the Shane Beard Award to include the Executive officers. Lyle seconded the motion. Motion passes with 1 Abstain.

source

:oops: Thanks. That discussion was running through my mind but I thought for some reason it was about the new Russ Cook Award. That's what I get for not checking.

With that said, I would like to second Eric, Bob, and Mike's nomination and offer my own nomination of someone.

1. Jason Ghelli: Granted I might be a bit bias because I had the privilege to work with him, but I can tell you I have not seen someone more genuinely dedicated and passionate about something. Even when most people would've thrown in the towel, he persevered and kept going because he knew how much it meant to everyone else. He did it humbly, even now, never taking the spotlight for everything he has done, much of it behind the scenes. He has always been willing to do what is right, not necessarily what is the popular choice...which in my opinion is characteristic of Shane's way of doing things. I could go on, but we all know Jay's contributions.

2. Katrinka Tyrseck: Perhaps she has not been in the spotlight and may not be a recognized name, but I have witnessed her volunteerism and her commitment over the last few years in spite of some pretty heavy personal challenges and I'd like to nominate her.
tammylynn

Postby Cookiemanx7 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:15 pm

axle wrote:John Price would be deserving as well. John has done clean-ups, fundraisers, volunteered to help with NEA events, and more. He is a good representative of the wheeling community.

Thank you very much for your kind words Bob, I feel very honored just to be considered with others who I feel desirve the award more then I do.

I'd like add another to that list and nominate Mike White for the 2012 Shane Beard Award.

As long as I have known Mike he has been all about furthering our sport, not only for his club, but for all who enjoy off highway recreation responsibly. He always seems to have multiple projects / goals and ideas for the future going at the same time. He is always available to answer any questions and seems to always have the answers or he will get back to you once he looks into to get you the answer. With Mike as president of JonFund, (not implying JonFund didn't before) they continually make contributions for the better of our sport, not only to his club but to the NEA and other affiliated events. I think Mike more than meets all aspects of the criteria for the award.
John Price

President of South Shore Wheelers
OSJ
UFWD Volunteer Trail Patrol
Mohawk 4X4 Adventures
Cookiemanx7

Postby schwalby » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:14 am

:O

That is a crazy list of people, this will not be an easy year to pick a recipient.
Josh Schwalb

Co-Chairman - Great American Charitable Events
Co-Chairman - Great American Jeep Rally
Creator - Folded Flag Tribute Jeep
schwalby

Postby tammylynn » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:54 pm

schwalby wrote::O

That is a crazy list of people, this will not be an easy year to pick a recipient.

Agreed. I was thinking the same thing.
tammylynn

Postby axle » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:23 pm

Schwalby does alot too, geez this is hard. but it is awesome that there are so many people working for the NEA
axle

Postby Scott Hatch » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:12 pm

I would like to Nominate Ryan Frost a.k.a. Frosty for the 2012 Shane Beard Award. Frosty encompasses the full package of this award and in addition promotes many of the same values as Shane, first and foremost was always family. Frosty been a valuable resource and mentor within his own club and our entire community. He has always encouraged members of his club and other members of our community to participate within the NEA for the advancement of our entire sport. Frosty has actively been involved with trails maintenance within his own club and the NEA. He has helped maintain a positive image for our sport assisting and coordinating events such as the DWE Truck Show and Rock Crawl and the Russel Cook Memorial Run. The most important aspect that most encompasses this award, and one that was most important to Shane, is promoting our sport within a family friendly environment.
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby tammylynn » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:49 am

I know we have a big list already but I'd also like to nominate someone who I think has gone under the radar and that is Scott Cairns. Scott recently stepped away a little to focus on business and family but while he was fully active he was always willing to attend and lead at trail cuts and help wherever he could at events. I've seen him continuing to support the community even since he stepped away. Honest, genuine, and always willing to help people out.
tammylynn

Postby axle » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:55 am

:hug:
axle

Postby Zaedock » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:23 am

There's a lot of folks there who would look good in the "green jacket". :lol:

Definitely a tough decision.
Zaedock

Postby BC » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:46 pm

I would propose a run off type vote where we took the first round of voting with all candidates, and the final round of voting with top 3 vote getters.
Brenda (BC) Churchill
Delegate to the Northeast Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs
Vermont Jeep Association former President, Vice President
Former NEA4WDC President
brickerjeeper@gmail.com
Fall Crawl: Always the weekend after Labor Day
BC

Postby schwalby » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:26 pm

BC wrote:I would propose a run off type vote where we took the first round of voting with all candidates, and the final round of voting with top 3 vote getters.

I think this is a good idea.
Josh Schwalb

Co-Chairman - Great American Charitable Events
Co-Chairman - Great American Jeep Rally
Creator - Folded Flag Tribute Jeep
schwalby

Postby tammylynn » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:46 pm

BC wrote:I would propose a run off type vote where we took the first round of voting with all candidates, and the final round of voting with top 3 vote getters.

Ok.
tammylynn

Postby BC » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:47 pm

we wouldn't need to to do that if winner was a clear majority.... :P , right?
Brenda (BC) Churchill
Former NEA4WDC President
brickerjeeper@gmail.com
BC

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:49 pm

How about we put all the candidates in a cage and have a death match?
Eric

Postby BC » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:55 pm

Hmm, I smell another fundraiser........
Brenda (BC) Churchill
Former NEA4WDC President
brickerjeeper@gmail.com
BC

Postby tammylynn » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:04 pm

Technohead wrote:How about we put all the candidates in a cage and have a death match?

I'm actually secretly working on something...along the fundraiser line idea. Stay tuned. 8)
tammylynn

Postby Scott Hatch » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:29 pm

Dunk tank in late September comes to mind....
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby JayZR2 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:01 pm

Technohead wrote:How about we put all the candidates in a cage and have a death match?

IN!
hyp·o·crite   [hip-uh-krit]
noun
1. A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
JayZR2

Postby tammylynn » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:05 pm

Scott Hatch wrote:Dunk tank in late September comes to mind....

Even betterer.
tammylynn

Postby tammylynn » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:25 pm

Copied with permission:
The Board of Directors of Northeast Jeep would like to nominate Bic White for the 2012 Shane Beard award. Bic's dedication is only shadowed by his boundless energy directed towards the progression of New England wheeling.

Bic is an active volunteer and leader with the NEA, Northeast Jeep and JonFund. Bic encourages the camaraderie between clubs always building bridges vs. building walls.

Bic is actively involved in land maintenance and acquisition opportunities for the sport. He works tirelessly with trails as well as recruiting others to help. As a NEA delegate, he relays NEA information and activities to the NEJeep membership, promoting our participation in trail cuts and maintenance days as well as participating himself.

Bic demonstrates responsibility and leadership on and off the trails. Bic currently serves as Northeast Jeep's Treasurer and assists as the Trails co-chair. He previously served as our Trails Director and stepped up as Treasurer after a resignation. Bic is cognizant of potential impacts of wheeler actions both good and bad. One of Bic's greatest strengths is that he simply leads by example and has the courage to graciously talk to wheelers he doesn't know to show them "the way". As Trails Director, Bic established NEJeep's trails rating system and trail leader and gunner guidelines. He recognizes true leadership on the trails and actively works with members to develop those qualities.

Bic promotes and generates ideas that are practical for the entire family with regards to wheeling-related events. He takes care in planning trail related events that will serve all levels of experience. Bic is currently developing a Jeep 101 course to teach responsibility and trail safety.

In summary, from our perspective, there is no other individual that deserves the Shane Beard Award because he exceeds all of the requirements and does it all with no reward in mind other than the success and progress of wheeling in New England.
tammylynn

Return to Off Topic-General Discussion