nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

New England Forestry Foundation: No Motorized Access

*Public* Our trails are an endangered species. Please visit and contribute to this forum often.

New England Forestry Foundation: No Motorized Access

Postby BobBarry » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:28 pm

and their list of holdings is growing:

http://www.newenglandforestry.org/forestry/index.asp

Not only are we excluded from state lands, but there are organizations that want to exclude us from private lands as well, even when they are not property-owners. All they need is a conservation "easement" and we're out for good.

Any chance we can formulate a similar program? An easement for recreation, in exchange for continued effective land-management? There is no reason that model only needs to work one way.
Bob Barry
2000 Excursion
2002 Overland
BobBarry

Postby Treasurer » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:53 pm

Bob we are doing this with Meadowsend Timberland Limited. We have motorized access to some of their land and we manage the condition of the land. We have put up gates and control access. We wheel when the land is dry and monitor and repair any damage to the trails. We have wriiten permission to use the land and not an easement. This same company does have land that has conservation easements. We should approach more timber companies and see if they would like to work with us.
Steve N.
Treasurer NEA4WDC
Treasurer

Postby Paul » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:45 pm

Not sure I would label NEFF as a greenie group though. Those are working forests. Last time I talked to their Prez, he said they were considering working with organized ORV groups for policing purposes.

We can use conservation easements just like the greenies to, that was advised to me by the bigwigs at United 4WDA when I was big into the Neow Land Purchase. I have not seen any records of any 4x4 group successfully utilizing a conservation easement to obtain access to properties. Not saying its not out there, they may do it all the time out west, I do not know.
Guy that used to do stuff a long long time ago.
Paul

Return to Trail Conservation