nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Action Alert! Affects a popular Western MA trail

*Public* Our trails are an endangered species. Please visit and contribute to this forum often.

Action Alert! Affects a popular Western MA trail

Postby cmerrick » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:06 am

This is another attempt to close down access to land through legislation. Private landowners rights will be trampled in the process to "preserve" more land. Be aware, motorized recreation WILL be affected as we have a major trail that runs parallel to the M&M on private land. That area is currently open to use by all forms of recreation, OHRV's included. Please attend and give your input.

Thanks, Carl

Thursday, February 17, 2005, 7:00 p.m.

Highlights of the MMM Trail System in the Lower Pioneer Valley

The Pioneer Valley Planning Commission has been selected by the National Park Service to study the Metacomet-Monadnock-Mattabesett trail system in Connecticut and Massachusetts, with the goal of protecting the trail through responsible management and use. In this presentation, the Pioneer Valley Planning Commission will introduce you to the MMM Trail Study and highlight the natural, cultural, and scenic features along the 60-mile trail corridor in the lower Pioneer Valley.

Shaun Hayes, Planner
Pioneer Valley Planning Commission
cmerrick

Postby cmerrick » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:09 am

Mark, can you get this to NETRA?

Thanks
cmerrick

Postby Scott Hatch » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:07 am

Meeting is February 17 7:00pm at West Springfield Public Library.
Scott Hatch

Postby xjmark » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:55 pm

The meeting went from 7:00 to 8:00, and about 30 people showed.
Most were hikers and local residents, and two people with horse trailriding interests.
The speaker opened with an apology stating there may have been a miscommunication about this being a discussion and planning meeting. He stated it is a "walk" through the MMM trailsystem's history and resource as a recreational trail. There was a slideshow that had maps showing it's route from Ct, through Ma, leading up to the NH border, along with many mountain top views. There were a few quick questions at the end, and one resident complained of ATV'ers misusing and damaging the trails. The speaker replied that there are also hikers that misuse the trails and damage them. It was good to see a type of response that puts every trail-user group in the role of responsibility.

He mentioned there are planning meetings coming up where all the private landowners along the trail will be notified. I asked for information on how be informed of them and attend these public meetings. These are the contacts I was given:

Jamie Fosburgh -NPS, project manager 617-223-5191 jamie_fosburgh@nps.gov

Kevin Case -NPS, CT Lead 860-738-1092 kevin_case@nps.gov

Ann Colson -CFPA, Ct Partner 860-346-2372 acolson@ctwoodlands.org

Chris Curtis -PVPC, MA Co-Lead 413-781-6045 chcurtis@pvpc.org

Peggy Sloan -FRCOG, MA Co-Lead 413-774-1194 psloan@frcog.org
Mark Kosciukiewicz, Central Connecticut Four Wheelers, NEA Delegate
Rhode Island Trail Slayers
xjmark

Postby cmerrick » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:43 am

Mark, thanks for being able to make it. My wife had a class last night, so I was on boy detail. I will be sending a letter to PVPC on my position...
cmerrick

Return to Trail Conservation