nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

another little detail

*Public* Our trails are an endangered species. Please visit and contribute to this forum often.

another little detail

Postby mike_belben » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:05 am

it might not mean much but perhaps there is some significance to it. or it can be just another detail to grill state officials with.

Mass forestry property codes

Recreational Land - Code 8
All property that has been designated under Chapter 61B. (If an area has more than one use according to the codes below, use the code which represents the primary use of the land).

Hiking - trails or paths

Camping - areas with sites for overnight camping

Nature Study - areas specifically for nature study or observation

Boating - areas for recreational boating and supporting land facilities

Golfing - areas of land arranged as a golf course

Horseback Riding - trails or areas

Hunting - areas for the hunting of wildlife

Fishing Areas

Alpine Skiing - areas for "downhill" skiing

Nordic Skiing - areas for "cross-country" skiing

Swimming Areas

Picnicking Areas

Public Non-Commercial Flying - areas for gliding or hang-gliding

Target Shooting - areas for target shooting such as archery, skeet or approved fire-arms

notice there isnt a forestry code for ATV/ORV use, even though there is a registration and tax levied on ATV's? this is a good illustration of how the commonwealth acknowledges ATV's to the extent that they can charge a fee, and no further. Hikers, Skiier's, swimmers, no registration fees for them but they have forestry designation.

i want to sue the state of MA, but its hard for me to determine on what grounds so i figured id throw this detail out there.

what are your thoughts guys?
mike_belben

Postby tammylynn » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:15 am

I'm not very knowledgeable in this area but if you move forward with some type of suit you might want to contact Carla Boucher in United Four Wheel Drive Association's. She is their Attorney and she deals with these types of suits on a daily basis-she is currently helping Souther Four Wheel Drive Association with the whole Tellico mess. She is not licensed to represent us in MA but she can and has offered to give us all the advice she can on stuff like this.
I can give you her contact info if you want it or you can PM her on the United forum.
tammylynn

Postby mike_belben » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:38 am

yes, i would absolutely appreciate the contact info. obviously that is a big leap that should be used as a last resort so it would certainly be a long ways off, but talking it out early on would be the best bet.
mike_belben

Postby tammylynn » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:45 pm

Well Carla is also able to give you info on what can be done prior to having to go as far as a lawsuit.
tammylynn

Postby Treasurer » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:58 pm

The lawsuit needs to be filed by a disabled person on behalf of all disabled people. Plain and simple we want our ADA access to state lands. As far as the lack of designation, there will never be an OHV designation in the Communistwealth if the powers to be can help it. I want to move to Nevada and do not want to file these lawsuits our here. I will file them out west if they close of land access to me. I still amazes me that people have not seen the light and filed these lawsuits back in 1990 when the ADA was signed into law. If you go to the Milford Drive-In theater you will see an accessible portable toilet. I need not tell who reminded the onwer of the law and mentioned the ADA lawyer in Concord. Now when I go there I can easily use the bathroom. The eco-nazis will tell you to carry a disabled person on your back and hike the trails. I like to see how far one can get with 150+ pounds on his or her back. The idea is that we already own capable vehicles for the terrain set up for disabled access. I am off my horse now. There is an off road Wheelchair. It still requies an able-bodied person(s) to pull it around with the dead weight in it.
Steve N.
Treasurer NEA4WDC
Treasurer

Return to Trail Conservation