nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Gates torn down

*Public* Our trails are an endangered species. Please visit and contribute to this forum often.

Gates torn down

Postby cmerrick » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:44 am

At the end of December the powerlines on the Belchertown/Granby line were gated by the landowners. This was done in an attempt to keep the dumping and illegal wheeling out of there. Last night on my way home I noticed that the gates, and substantial gates I might add, were ripped down. This is something that would have been done by wheelers, since the ATV crowd has a go-around at the gates. From this point on I will be noting license plates and turning trespassers in to the Granby police for prosecution.

I put a lot of effort into legal property use and maintaining property owner relations, and this disregard and disrespect just plain pisses me off. Please contact me if you have information regarding the responsible party for this act of vandalism. Feel free to cross post.

Thank you.
cmerrick

Postby JayZR2 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:48 am

Damn it Carl that sucks.
I need to get out there and have you show me some of this stuff your talking about because I'm unfamiliar with it.
Do you think we should look into replacing and fortifying the gates?
hyp·o·crite   [hip-uh-krit]
noun
1. A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
JayZR2

Postby Scott Hatch » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:49 am

:evil: no respect for personal property or the right of private property owners
Scott Hatch

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:03 am

This gets my shorts in a bunch.

:evil:
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Postby Paul » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:23 am

recently? Not snowmobilers?

Fix it up and get a wildlife cam.
Guy that used to do stuff a long long time ago.
Paul

Postby cmerrick » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:44 am

There's not enough snow on the ground for snowjiggers, plus there is a go around the ATV's already created they could use. There's not an area big enough for vehicles to get around, so it was taken down.
cmerrick

Postby Paul » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:49 am

Is this Fairview Sportsmans F&G land?
Guy that used to do stuff a long long time ago.
Paul

Postby XJ Maki » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:27 pm

What kind of asshole does something like that? :evil:

I'm gonna make a guess that it's someone who lives nearby, probably has wheeled those powerlines for a decade or more and feels a sense of 'ownership' or entitlement to the area.

If it hasn't already this should be posted around at some of the bigger public wheeling forums so there's a chance it might get back to the actual perp.
Bic W.
Northeast Jeep Org.
XJ Maki

Postby artyart » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:46 pm

The best thing to do would be to cross post this on any boards you frequent, get the word out.
this absolutely sucks. But Bic you're probably right someone thinks they are "entitled" to be there..... :bang:
Art Triggs

96xj steering & brakes optional
Webmaster,BBS Admin
Jonfund Inc
artyart

Postby Treasurer » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:55 pm

Patrol the area between 1-3am on Friday and Saturday and you might get lucky.
Steve N.
Treasurer NEA4WDC
Treasurer

Postby tammylynn » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:32 pm

With regards to cameras, we were joking about this after the spaghetti dinner. Roy and I were watching the news and there was a report on how the Town of Dudley MA was trying to curb a popular dumping area so they installed a camera. Well in addition to the main camera they installed a backup. The backup filmed a person illegally dumping and then proceeding to steal the camera-which they thought was the only one. The town was able to film the make/model/and license of the car as well as a full image of the culprit. :lol:
tammylynn

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:56 am

tammylynn wrote:With regards to cameras, we were joking about this after the spaghetti dinner. Roy and I were watching the news and there was a report on how the Town of Dudley MA was trying to curb a popular dumping area so they installed a camera. Well in addition to the main camera they installed a backup. The backup filmed a person illegally dumping and then proceeding to steal the camera-which they thought was the only one. The town was able to film the make/model/and license of the car as well as a full image of the culprit. :lol:

City of Fitchburg - 2 cameras at one dumping area, but they never caught anyone I'm aware of.

Father-in-law has a wilderness camera in his yard. Photographs something at least weekly.
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Return to Trail Conservation