nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Coy Hill Final Statement

*Public* Our trails are an endangered species. Please visit and contribute to this forum often.

Coy Hill Final Statement

Postby Zaedock » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:26 am

As posted on the FOCH forum. As we expected, in addtion to the main trail that's closed, the town intends to close Prendville Rd. It's time to move on to bigger and better trails.

Greetings. Here is an update regarding Coy Hill. I have recently spoken to the Ware Conservation Commission chairman. Despite having been told by both the EPO's and the town that there was no intention of closing the road, I regret to inform you, that they do in fact intend to close Prendville Rd.

During my previous conversations with the town, I asked if Coy Hill was going to be on the May meeting agenda. I was told that it wasn't and our presence was not required. Not only was Coy discussed at the meeting, but several EPOs were in attendance recommending that the road be closed. Unfortunately, this action goes against everything that we discussed with the Ware Conservation Commission during our previous meetings over many months. Personally, I feel that the town came to this decision with the mindset that keeping everyone out is easier than expending effort to try and educate those who continue to abuse the area. Ironically, now that the clubs have been staying away, the area is still being abused by locals with full size OHRVs and ATVs.

At this time, the moratorium on driving Prendville Rd has ended. I want to mention that when we called the Ware Police Dept during the cleanup scouting to inform them that we were going up Prendville Rd, they informed us that the road was closed (until we told them we were from FOCH, to which they said we could drive through the area). Clearly, we are not welcome, so I highly recommend that everyone avoid the area. I certainly would not bring a group there.

I would like to thank everyone for their assistance with this effort. Your help is greatly appreciated. Despite the unfortunate closure, this event has helped bring together many groups, clubs, and associations. We still have some work to do with helping the Anairs, and I am currently planning an activity with them. Stay Tuned.

Thank you,
Joe
Zaedock

Postby Scott Hatch » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:37 am

I think this should be posted in a public area....unless you were looking for input or comments first?
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby Zaedock » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:15 am

No, not really. Feel free to move it over. :D
Zaedock

Postby axle » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:04 am

Thanks Joe, we tried.
Bob Butler, New England Jeepz
axle

Postby jsongy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:31 am

Thanks Joe!!! :up: Keep the Anair project updated. You'll get help.
A$$hole @ Large...Again
jsongy

Postby Paul » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:59 am

Thank you Joe for all your hard work. :up:

:paul:
Guy that used to do stuff a long long time ago.
Paul

Postby Treasurer » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:07 am

Gracias Hombre
Steve N.
Treasurer NEA4WDC
Treasurer

Postby Zaedock » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:12 pm

Treasurer wrote:Gracias Hombre

Da las gracias para todo su apoyo :up:
Zaedock

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:35 pm

Zaedock wrote:
Treasurer wrote:Gracias Hombre

Da las gracias para todo su apoyo :up:

That is why we're all here, Joe.

edit: posted on jf
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Postby PatriotJeep » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:13 pm

We tried? It's not over yet. The Town is playing us.
PatriotJeep

Postby Fezzik » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:23 pm

Posted on NEZR2, Yesterday
-Karl
Delegate NEZR2, INC

09 WK D/D
Found a trail rig, :twisted:
88 MJ now need to build it
Fezzik

Postby Mikey » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:30 pm

PatriotJeep wrote:We tried? It's not over yet. The Town is playing us.

wow, just.... wow.
Mikey

Postby PatriotJeep » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:41 pm

It's not over and I will find out more.
PatriotJeep

Postby Zaedock » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:10 pm

PatriotJeep wrote:We tried? It's not over yet. The Town is playing us.

PatriotJeep wrote:It's not over and I will find out more.

There is absolutely nothing that you or Patriot can do. Especially with the fact that the town knows you & Patriot are the ones who knowingly drove up there after being asked not to.

But hey, fight the good fight Rich.
Zaedock

Postby tammylynn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:50 pm

Let me open with I am by no means jumping on the 'Orange' bandwagon.

So I'll direct this question to Joe. :lol: I'm just curious if there is in fact nothing we can do. My only fear is if we let the town just call it done in what sounds like a closed door meeting, are we setting a precedent that any town can just do that and we won't do anything about it? Is it worth maybe running it by Carla or Blue Ribbon to see if there was something we could do? Or should we just say it is done and we are less one headache? :lol:

Also I have a recommendation. If we are in fact done with Coy Hill can we move some of the other specific land discussions back to the NEA forum or rename the FOCH forum...please? I know there is more being done on there than just Coy Hill so I can understand if we can't just get rid of the whole forum.
tammylynn

Postby rblank » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:21 pm

tammylynn wrote:Let me open with I am by no means jumping on the 'Orange' bandwagon.

Nobody has brought up the axle or fan, so feel free to use those if you want Tammy. :)
*DISCLAIMER* - The views expressed herein are the personal views of the author and do not in any way represent, nor imply to represent, the views of the North East Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, it's officers, members, or affiliates.
rblank

Postby tammylynn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:32 pm

No Roger. :evil: :P
tammylynn

Postby 2000bluexj » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:45 pm

tammylynn wrote:Let me open with I am by no means jumping on the 'Orange' bandwagon.

So I'll direct this question to Joe. :lol: I'm just curious if there is in fact nothing we can do. My only fear is if we let the town just call it done in what sounds like a closed door meeting, are we setting a precedent that any town can just do that and we won't do anything about it? Is it worth maybe running it by Carla or Blue Ribbon to see if there was something we could do? Or should we just say it is done and we are less one headache? :lol: .

I actually agree with that. It does put forth an image that we wont try and stand up to anything the town does. Ive said it before on the FOCH forums. We do nothing and let the town do what they want, what does that say about the organization. I believe it will show that we do not care about our trails in jeopardy. It isnt a great trail, its no mabell or anything, but it is a trail. Just letting them close one and not doing anything about it will give the towns a feeling of power that they can do what they want and we wont fight back. It is in fact a nice trail for stock or mildly built. I had fun out there and im on 5 inches and locked in the fron with 32's. And that was just on the road. The new section does infact have some decent obsticales worth trying, I encourage some of you to take a walk out there as ive done and see with your own eyes.
2000 xj
RE 4.5 superflex
32x11.5x15 maxxis bighorn radials
Front 3 link, FW 44/60 in the future
2000bluexj

Postby Scott Hatch » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:43 pm

Please just hold the online discussions and please try to remember a couple of things.

First, this is in a public area of the forum.

Second, there are things that occur off-line and out of site.

Third, closing a road is more complicated than saying a road is closed.

I have been speaking with and will be speaking with several parties involved with this situation. Please hold on while we handle things off of the forum.

Thank you.
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby PatriotJeep » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:10 pm

The town did not care that Patriot was up there and they could not stop us from driving a town road. We later found a section of the missing road
marked in Orange and the Axle is gone but the fan is still there.
Joe how about the facts? Drive the road with me and I will tell you want I know.There has been nothing in the local paper on anything about Coyhill since last year. I inform people now that the ban has been lifted, who ask that the roads are open and do not drive off them or on the powerline.
The state can not stop you for driving on town roads. And there is more then one town up there. Joe has only been talking to Ware. That's not the whole story.
PatriotJeep

Postby PatriotJeep » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:13 pm

Final statement ,I don't think so We can't give up I won't give up!
even if you are all not on my side and scout other trails I will not give up on Coyhill.
PatriotJeep

Postby Scott Hatch » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:20 pm

Stop while you're ahead Rich please, you're back sliding.
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby Mikey » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:28 pm

is it bad I hope it gets closed for good so Rich stops talking about it?
Mikey

Postby JayZR2 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:01 pm

Rich are you coming to the Meeting on 6/28?
hyp·o·crite   [hip-uh-krit]
noun
1. A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
JayZR2

Postby tammylynn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:41 pm

Scott Hatch wrote:Please just hold the online discussions and please try to remember a couple of things.

I have been speaking with and will be speaking with several parties involved with this situation. Please hold on while we handle things off of the forum.

Thank you.

FWIW I don't think I asked questions that aren't appropriate for a public area and if the discussion shouldn't be shared than we can move it. If things are still being discussed I am cool with that and it is sort of an answer to my question. :wink: FTR...not nitpicking..just typing out loud. :lol:
tammylynn

Postby Paul » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:46 pm

:popcorn:
Paul

Postby JayZR2 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:47 pm

He wasn't directing that at you Tammy. :wink:
noun
1. A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
JayZR2

Postby tammylynn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:51 pm

Wasn't sure...didn't think so but just wanted to clarify my thoughts.
tammylynn

Postby Zaedock » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:50 pm

2000bluexj wrote:

So I'll direct this question to Joe. :lol: I'm just curious if there is in fact nothing we can do. My only fear is if we let the town just call it done in what sounds like a closed door meeting, are we setting a precedent that any town can just do that and we won't do anything about it? Is it worth maybe running it by Carla or Blue Ribbon to see if there was something we could do? Or should we just say it is done and we are less one headache? :lol: .

I actually agree with that. It does put forth an image that we wont try and stand up to anything the town does.

The area is being ABUSED BY OHRV's and you want to "stand up" to the town? You need to rethink who the victim is here.

2000bluexj wrote: Ive said it before on the FOCH forums. We do nothing and let the town do what they want, what does that say about the organization. I believe it will show that we do not care about our trails in jeopardy.
You're not even a part of this organization. You certainly didn't heed the recommendation to avoid the area when asked. BTW, guess who's ripping up the area? If you guessed locals, congratulations.

2000bluexj wrote: It is in fact a nice trail for stock or mildly built. I had fun out there and im on 5 inches and locked in the fron with 32's. And that was just on the road. The new section does infact have some decent obsticales worth trying, I encourage some of you to take a walk out there as ive done and see with your own eyes.

I have been out there and it's nothing special. Besides that, a stream runs right down the middle and more sooner than later, there will be environmental impacts.

To answer your question Tammy, here is a piece of a post from FOCH:

The bottom line with Coy, is that it is an EXTREMELY TROUBLED AREA. At one end, an abutter thinks she owns the road. The other is surrounded by Wildlife Management Area. We (OHRV's) have been blamed as contributors to flooding with uncontrolled beaver damns breaking and washing down the mountain. Locals are ripping the shit out of the area constantly with rigs and ATV's, harassing local abutters as well. There have been three or four negative newspaper articles blaming OHRV's for WMA damage and trash dumping. The town also doesn't have the time, money, or manpower to work with us even if they REALLY wanted to.

Does this sound like an area that we want to associate the NEA or EC with?

The two crummy roads that lead into the area are not worth the headache that Rich wants us to go through. If we (NEA/EC/Patriot/...etc) go there, we will be perceived as being no better than the jackasses who destroy the place. Rich and his "stay on the stupid roads" junk means nothing to the people who drive by Rt9 and watch a Jeep drive up a road they just read about in the local paper. We will NEVER, EVER regain access to the WMA power line trail. Coy Hill is dead. It is a lost cause, and NOT worth the effort.

We have PLENTY of other work that needs to be done.
Zaedock

Postby Treasurer » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:12 am

PatriotJeep wrote:Final statement ,I don't think so We can't give up I won't give up!
even if you are all not on my side and scout other trails I will not give up on Coyhill.

Rich stop being a pitbull and let it go. The Communistwealth and its towns do not want our money. It is that simple. We are never going to change the actions of the local locusts. They will always abuse the area no matter how much we try and educate them. The only thing they understand is motor vehicle tresspass charges.
Steve N.
Treasurer NEA4WDC
Treasurer

Postby JayZR2 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:31 am

Scott Hatch wrote:Please just hold the online discussions and please try to remember a couple of things.

Thank you.
noun
JayZR2

Postby Mikey » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:31 am

Zaedock wrote:We have PLENTY of other work that needs to be done.

ding, ding - winner!!
Mikey

Postby rblank » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:11 am

Paul wrote::popcorn:

extra butter on mine please....

Moving FORWARD NOW....>>>>
*DISCLAIMER* - The views expressed herein are the personal views of the author and do not in any way represent, nor imply to represent, the views of the North East Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, it's officers, members, or affiliates.
rblank

Postby Paul » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:10 am

Rich,

Everyone here can appreciate your level of concern, your extreme willingness not to give up, and your drive to see this project through to achieve positive results. In spite of all that I think it is safe to say that 95% of the rest of us here are willing to accept the fact that the trails off of Prendiville and Coys Hill roads are not legal, were never legal and that they are gone and lost for our recreational purposes. With some question marks here and there, it's also safe to say that the roads are still open but they do not present any challenge or enjoyment to us four-wheelers.

With the amount of resources available to the 2 Associations, and in light of other current successes on thousands of acres of properties, as well as hundreds of miles of roads better than these just over the border in New Hampshire, I would advise that we CUT OUR LOSSES here and move on to other areas of the map.

Furthermore, your absolute incredible zeal and determination I feel has blinded you to listen to the reason that others have tried to instill in you. For this reason you present yourself as a loose cannon that cannot and will not work with others to reach a common goal. It is for this reason as well that I would advise BOTH associations NOT to back your efforts to continue this Coy Hill process. I would suggest that both associations issue official stances on this Coy Hill debacle with a specific addendum relating to the ongoing efforts of Rich Banfield. I would advise that we DO NOT support him and distance ourselves from his efforts as much as possible. Let Rich do what he is is going to do, NOT under the auspices of either association. If he is successful, that's fine, great, we'll give him all the credit for saving Coy Hill.

Paul Regish
Paul

Postby markdupont » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:44 am

Paul wrote:Rich,

Everyone here can appreciate your level of concern, your extreme willingness not to give up, and your drive to see this project through to achieve positive results. In spite of all that I think it is safe to say that 95% of the rest of us here are willing to accept the fact that the trails off of Prendiville and Coys Hill roads are not legal, were never legal and that they are gone and lost for our recreational purposes. With some question marks here and there, it's also safe to say that the roads are still open but they do not present any challenge or enjoyment to us four-wheelers.

With the amount of resources available to the 2 Associations, and in light of other current successes on thousands of acres of properties, as well as hundreds of miles of roads better than these just over the border in New Hampshire, I would advise that we CUT OUR LOSSES here and move on to other areas of the map.

Furthermore, your absolute incredible zeal and determination I feel has blinded you to listen to the reason that others have tried to instill in you. For this reason you present yourself as a loose cannon that cannot and will not work with others to reach a common goal. It is for this reason as well that I would advise BOTH associations NOT to back your efforts to continue this Coy Hill process. I would suggest that both associations issue official stances on this Coy Hill debacle with a specific addendum relating to the ongoing efforts of Rich Banfield. I would advise that we DO NOT support him and distance ourselves from his efforts as much as possible. Let Rich do what he is is going to do, NOT under the auspices of either association. If he is successful, that's fine, great, we'll give him all the credit for saving Coy Hill.

Paul Regish

Sorry Paul IMO your suggestion is pointless as the NEA has officially lifted the "No Go" policy for Coy... day late, dollar short... shoulda, coulda, woulda... better luck next time...

Seriously, everyone should just let this go and let things take its course.
markdupont

Postby Paul » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:50 am

ok.

I guess I was not following as closely as I should have. I'm happy to hear everyone knows the NEA's stance is clear but me.
Paul

Postby JayZR2 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:49 pm

JayZR2 wrote:

Thank you.
noun
JayZR2

Postby tammylynn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:38 pm

Jay, can you post that one more time...I don't think it is getting through. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry.
tammylynn

Postby PatriotJeep » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:28 pm

If Joe is done with Coyhill then let me work on it? Not not done.
We should not be done It's called giving up and you should hang your head for thinking so.
PatriotJeep

Postby Mikey » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:36 pm

Scott Hatch wrote:I have been speaking with and will be speaking with several parties involved with this situation. Please hold on while we handle things off of the forum.

Thank you.
Mikey

Postby Scott Hatch » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:27 am

Thanks everyone for reposting for me :lol:
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby PatriotJeep » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:25 pm

Ran Coyhill today with a friend ate lunch at the icecream place then
headed up Prendiville road took a left at the folk heading for WestBrookfield stayed to the right of the stone wall along the poles
lot's of rocks one tight section " Jeep width" had to winch and muddy.
You can bypass this as you have 60'. of a right of way.The next section you drive over a big rock next to a big fallen tree. Then it's up to the next spot you go forward between rocks or go right up a slope and around.
I cut the fallen tree across the wire and with a towstarp let it go free.
Up at the top by the stumps I pushed them aside with my Jeep. No issues,
no signs. If you go stay on the roads, no powerline use and keep the numbers low. I'm posting this here as I can no longer post at FOCH.
So this is your update.
PatriotJeep

Postby JayZR2 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:24 am

Didn't you just run it on 6/28?
Do you think running it 2x in just under 2 weeks is a good idea?
noun
JayZR2

Postby tammylynn » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:50 am

Well it was on the way to lunch and ice cream.
tammylynn

Postby Scott Hatch » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:56 am

Its a town road, I drove RT128 twice a day, whats the big deal? :roll: ;)
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby Zaedock » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:05 pm

PatriotJeep wrote:I cut the fallen tree across the wire and with a towstarp let it go free.

You're lucky you didn't get electrocuted. That wire has been like that since last October. I informed the local PD, Ware CC, and EPO Ramsey. If they didn't get to it, then it's on them. Taking it upon yourself to free up that electrical wire was downright dangerous.
Zaedock

Postby PatriotJeep » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:19 am

My point is as long as we keep our numbers low then it's ok to drive it.
Stay on the roads and keep it clear. I don't think the wire is live.
The pole with the green box on it does not look live. I took the other
wire off the line last time. It was a nice day and we went there to prove my point. I do not plan to drive it every weekend. The section going up to Westbrookfield is a great challange ,no dirt road here. If you go you may
need to winch.
PatriotJeep

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:27 am

My point is as long as we keep our numbers low then it's ok to drive it.

Except that organized wheelers get lumped into the "problem" wheelers.
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Postby PatriotJeep » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:20 pm

I'm looking to take a small group up there in Aug.
PatriotJeep

Coyhill update 9/20/08

Postby PatriotJeep » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:06 pm

I took a small group of Jeeps up on Coyhill today. 2 TJ's, a JK and a XJ.
All the roads are open. We blocked off 2 places with logs to try to stop people from being were they should not be.We took the road up past the slick rock hill and ran the New/ old section of road right of the stone wall that was reopened look for the poles. I flaged it in orange so we would be on the road and not on the WMA land. Great road rocky, muddy and we all had to winch. No issues guess Joe O was wrong. If you go stay off the powerline. I did see tracks where they should not be but it was not us.
PatriotJeep

Next

Return to Trail Conservation