nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Cape Cod Seashore Closures

*Public* Our trails are an endangered species. Please visit and contribute to this forum often.

Cape Cod Seashore Closures

Postby tammylynn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:39 pm

Copied from Wicked Local
Cape Cod National Seashore Superintendent George Price announced Friday that the three beach access points to the off-road vehicle (ORV) corridor that are usually available this time of year, are closed to protect piping plovers.
However, to maintain some vehicle access, in accordance with the park?s 2007 ORV Environmental Assessment, the seashore will open a section of the ORV corridor at Coast Guard Beach in Truro to 24-hour access for ORV operators with current ORV permits. The piping plover is listed as threatened under the Endangered Species Act. These closures occur while unfledged nestlings are present.
This ORV closure does not affect pedestrian access to the ORV Corridor, nor does it affect access to the seashore?s six swimming beaches. In addition, ORV permits will be honored for free entrance at Herring Cove, Race Point and Head of the Meadow beaches for the duration of this ?near? closure. Additional accommodations are available for self-contained vehicles.
These closures are temporary, and will last only until plover broods fledge or move a safe distance from vehicle access points.
Up-to-date oversand corridor information is available 24-hours a day on a message line that can be accessed by calling 508-487-3698. As soon as sections of the corridor reopen the message line will be updated. The ORV office may be called during business hours at 508-487-4165. The seashore website also has the current status of the corridor that can be accessed at http://www.nps.gov/caco/planyourvisit/oversand.htm. Click on ?Current ORV Route Map.?
tammylynn

homeowner suffers loses due to beach closure

Postby lowrider90 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:45 am

jay
lowrider90

Postby Paul » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:05 am

Happens every year.

I was in Chatham this past weekend, they had signs for sale in a local shop that said "Plover Served Here" :lol:
Guy that used to do stuff a long long time ago.
Paul

Postby Scott Hatch » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:07 am

Yep, happens when ever and where ever the plovers nest....too bad as the whole man vs. their nesting is very over played
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby Treasurer » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:10 am

Too bad is suspect eco-nazis moving the nests onto the OHV roads.
Steve N.
Treasurer NEA4WDC
Treasurer

Postby Derek » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:49 am

Paul wrote:Happens every year.

I was in Chatham this past weekend, they had signs for sale in a local shop that said "Plover Served Here" :lol:

HAHA i saw those last weekend also
Crawl in Peace my friends, Peter Gonchar and Jason Payne.
Derek

Postby lowrider90 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:13 pm

I take the road less traveled i was off (boat) chatham last weekend and ran into a 16ft great white, the thing was massive. I swear it had a piping plover feather between its teeth!. LOL

serioulsy, live on the Cape, and have been dealing with this for a number of years, at this point it is just part of the season. If I were a home owner being denied access, my feelings would be much different though.
jay
lowrider90

Postby jsongy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:13 pm

I'm told their small,yet taste good... But what about that GW? Was it on the end of your fishin line?
A$$hole @ Large...Again
jsongy

Postby lowrider90 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:44 pm

jsongy wrote:I'm told their small,yet taste good... But what about that GW? Was it on the end of your fishin line?

Hyjacker... :lol:

I never tasted one, but i do like seeing them running around the beach adds to the experience when on the beach. the great white was maybe two feet from the boat at one point. I have some video from last years sightings. seems like we see one each time we go tuna fishings which is on average once a week.

now, back to the issue: almost Every beach on the cape will have closures with the exception of chapin Beach in my town, which has never had a closure due to plovers until last year. there were TWO nestilings which by law was enough to close the entire run of beach. This year so far no nesting birds, so I think is over, they have all hatched at this point if I'm not mistaken.
jay
lowrider90

Postby Paul » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:55 pm

Hey now wait a minute, back off topic here: We swim in Lewis Bay by the Hyannis Yacht club, no great whites near there right???
Guy that used to do stuff a long long time ago.
Paul

Postby lowrider90 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:17 pm

Paul wrote:Hey now wait a minute, back off topic here: We swim in Lewis Bay by the Hyannis Yacht club, no great whites near there right???

not yet, I say that because so far the closest inshore spottings was with the shallows inside nantucket a couple of months ago, beyond that a shark , GW, attack on a seal at monomoy beach, i also heard of a bird attack as well last week. (chatham outside Beaches) other sightings by fisherman nearly in any spot off chtahm to crab ledge and in the area in general.

One of these days one will make it into lewis bay probly late at night to feed. but odds are remote.

the problem with where you are swimming is near the kennedy compound and i have cought many a shark when i was younger right next door, i never identified them but they had rows of sharp teeth, we think small thrushers.
Last edited by lowrider90 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jay
lowrider90

Postby tammylynn » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:19 pm

lowrider90 wrote:
jsongy wrote:I'm told their small,yet taste good... But what about that GW? Was it on the end of your fishin line?

I never tasted one, but i do like seeing them running around the beach adds to the experience when on the beach. the great white was maybe two feet from the boat at one point. I have some video from last years sightings. seems like we see one each time we go tuna fishings which is on average once a week.

now, back to the issue: almost Every beach on the cape will have closures with the exception of chapin Beach in my town, which has never had a closure due to plovers until last year. there were TWO nestilings which by law was enough to close the entire run of beach. This year so far no nesting birds, so I think is over, they have all hatched at this point if I'm not mistaken.

More importantly you could have done a JAWS sequel. :lol: :lol:
I've only run into the Plover thing on Plum Island..the Reserve side. Closes down like half of the Reserve.
tammylynn

Postby lowrider90 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:21 pm

tammylynn wrote:
lowrider90 wrote:

More importantly you could have done a JAWS sequel. :lol: :lol:
I've only run into the Plover thing on Plum Island..the Reserve side. Closes down like half of the Reserve.
you have a bigger problem at plum island, the green heads, they Really S#$%. no wants to go there during the green head season anyway. LOL>
jay
lowrider90

Postby Scott Hatch » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:59 am

Don't kid yourself Paul, the sharks are everywhere there is water
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby tammylynn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:23 pm

100% Deet seems to work for me. There isn't much short of a hurricane that could keep me from going to Plum Island Refuge. :D
tammylynn

Postby Scott Hatch » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:53 pm

Deet? Deet doesn't works for a Great White Shark ;) :lol:
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby tammylynn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:54 pm

No...Green Heads :lol:
tammylynn