nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Vandals hit snowmobile trail network- Gilford NH

*Public* Our trails are an endangered species. Please visit and contribute to this forum often.

Vandals hit snowmobile trail network- Gilford NH

Postby Scott Hatch » Tue May 24, 2005 11:54 pm

Vandals hit snowmobile trail network

By GORDON FRASER
Staff Writer
gfraser@citizen.com

GILFORD — The steel gates that once protected the snowmobile trails skirting Belknap Mountain have been torn from the ground, cut with blow torches, and in some cases stolen, according to Dave Glazier of the Belknap Snowmobilers' Club.

The tires of four-wheel-drive trucks also scoured the area, creating deep gouges. The land is littered in empty beer cans, garbage, and old car parts.

The problem is not new, Glazier explained. He said that four-wheel-drive trucks have gone up into the heavily wooded area for years, wrecking it for mountain bikers, hikers, hunters, and snowmobilers who also use the land.

Last year, the snowmobile club raised well over $3,000 and enlisted volunteer labor to build six steel gates in order to block the trails against large vehicles. They also invested in a culvert which helped to prevent washouts.

"They've since gone out and cut the gates down," Glazier reported.

At least four of the six gates have been destroyed or otherwise rendered useless. Beyond that, trucks have ruined the decks of wooden snowmobile bridges which were not designed to hold the weight of a full-sized vehicle.

"That's part of the reason we put up gates," Glazier said.

Glazier went out to close one of the gates for the season about two weeks ago. He discovered that the crossbeams which would allow him to block the ingress had been stolen. He placed an order for two new crossbeams but, when he returned to install them, the gate had been torn apart.

Another gate, Glazier said, had been cut with blow torches. Another had been ripped from the ground, presumably with trucks and chains.

A fourth gate was circumvented when someone blazed a road — more than wide enough for a large truck — around it.

"We don't have a problem sharing the land," Glazier said. "(But) some of these people think it's their right to destroy (it)."

The damage to the area can reflect poorly on the snowmobile club, even though it is not the cause of it.

A contributing problem is that the snowmobile trails are large enough to accommodate trucks. When the group originally blazed and groomed the trails, it converted old logging roads and other paths for use, not only by snowmobiles but for a large grader which grooms the trails during the winter.

In order to allow the grader access, the trails must be wide enough to accommodate a large vehicle. Many of the trails are 8-10 feet wide.

Now the use by four-wheel-drive trucks may jeopardize the snowmobile club's access to the area.

"We're not landowners; we have been allowed temporary use of this land during the winter months," Glazier said.

When people lay waste to the area, it not only prevents enjoyment of the natural beauty by others, but it may convince the property owners to bar the use of their land for recreation entirely.

"The sad thing is the landowners are going ... to get fed up," Glazier said, "Everybody's going to lose."

Glazier contacted the Gilford Police Department about the issue, and officers said that they would look into the problem, he said. But, Glazier went on, the police warned that the area is remote and difficult to patrol.

The officer who took the complaint could not be reached for comment.

The snowmobile club has offered a $500 reward for the names of those who have damaged the gates.
Scott Hatch

Postby Scott Hatch » Tue May 24, 2005 11:58 pm

Here is the email I sent to the writer of the article and the Belknap Snowmobile club

I have just seen the article posted on "Citizen On-line" and these type of actions are not only distressing and but quick frankly make me angry.

Let me first introduce myself, my name is Scott Hatch and I am President of the North East Association of 4WD Clubs (NEA4WDC). The goal of our organization is educating both users and the public to environmentally friendly operation of vehicles as well as respecting landowners rights. Our organization also has access to private land that landowners are kind enough to allow our sport access. Sadly we must also gate our lands from all types of irresponsible users. Our Association has worked with NH Fish and Game and developed a program with Major Tim Acerno where we patrol lands that are getting abused.

I hope you know that there are lots responsible four wheel drive users out there that respect and care for the rights of landowners. We would also like to offer assistance in the work you will need to do to fix this work. Also we would like to offer you our support in the capture and prosecution of these people by matching the $500 reward.

Scott Hatch
President NEA4WDC
774-240-5118
Scott Hatch

Postby lanefj40 » Wed May 25, 2005 6:25 am

Good job! That story was covered by our local paper, I read it and was a bit dismayed by the actions of the idiots.
Lane
74 Toyota FJ40
4" LIFT
36" Swampers
Locked front and rear
PS added, 4 wheel Discs added
lanefj40

Postby rblank » Wed May 25, 2005 7:46 am

Nice work Scotty.

Should we send out similar letter to all the local papers to get it into print where more of the masses will read it?
rblank

Postby preach » Fri May 27, 2005 4:03 pm

Reward for trail vandals now $1,500

By GORDON FRASER
Staff Writer
gfraser@citizen.com

GILFORD — The $500 reward for information leading to the capture of vandals who damaged the steel gates guarding trails on Belknap Mountain has jumped to $1,500 in the past week, as four-wheel drive enthusiasts and organizations have gotten involved.

In a May 21 story in The Citizen citing damage done to the trail network's infrastructure by four-wheel drive trucks, the Belknap Snowmobilers' Club, which has permission to use the land, offered a $500 reward for the names of those responsible.

Scott Hatch, president of the New England Association of 4WD Clubs, e-mailed the paper the following Tuesday and offered an additional $500 reward.

Hatch wrote, "I want you to know that there are lots of responsible four wheel drive users out there that respect and care for the rights of landowners."

The following day, Stephen Gallagher, president of the North East Willys Jeeps Organization, wrote that news of the vandalism was "disheartening." He went on to say, "Illegal wheeling is not only a detriment to our sport, (it) should ... not be tolerated."

Gallagher offered an additional $500 reward, setting the bounty at $1,500. He also offered to help the Belknap Snowmobilers' Club repair damage to the trails.

Greg Ellis, a Gilford-based four wheel drive enthusiast, also contacted The Citizen, explaining that he went four-wheeling in the trails around Belknap Mountain in the past, before the gates were put in. "I personally never leave anything out there," Ellis explained, "I take out what I take in."

Ellis went on to say that he was disappointed to hear about vandalism. He hopes that, with landowner permission, four-wheelers, snowmobilers, and other nature enthusiast who respect the land, can coexist.

Dave Glazier of the Belknap Snowmobilers' Club, the group that originally set the reward, said he was pleased to get such a positive response from four-wheel drive organizations.

"It made me feel pretty good," he said, "It just goes to show you that the majority of these people are decent."
NEWJO
preach

Return to Trail Conservation