nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Letter for new trail-suggestions wanted

*Public* Our trails are an endangered species. Please visit and contribute to this forum often.

Letter for new trail-suggestions wanted

Postby Scott SKEETER Brown » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:28 pm

One of our newest Maine NEWJO members is talking with the city of Lewiston on some city property that has a trail on it. The city verbally has set a few conditions to meet to POSSIBLY gain access to the trail. This is the letter he came up with. Give it a read and make suggestions please.

Thanks!
Scott Brown

xxxxx[deleted]
Auburn, ME 04210
August 9, 2005
Phil Nadeau
c/o City Hall
27 Pine Street
Lewiston, ME 04240

Dear Mr. Nadeau:
This letter is in response to our phone conversation on August 8, 2005. On behalf of North East Willy’s Jeeps Organization (NEWJO), we would like written permission to access city owned land by Off Highway Vehicles (OHV’s) including jeeps and trucks (not ATV’s). The land in question is located behind Marden’s in Lewiston and extends to the Androscoggin River.

As part of the Tread Lightly philosophy, we would respect your land by only slowly exploring existing trails, not making new ones. For more information concerning Tread Lightly please visit TreadLightly.org.

If permission to access land is granted NEWJO members agree to:

• NEWJO will stay on existing trails and leave the land as they found it.
• NEWJO will perform trail clean ups to help preserve the land and keep wildlife and pedestrians safe.
• NEWJO will install a barricade (gate or cable) and control access to land if necessary to help avoid unwanted activities on said land.
• NEWJO will install and maintain water bars where necessary to prevent excessive erosion.
• NEWJO will not remove any standing trees.
• NEWJO will not exceed 12 vehicles on the property at any one time.
• NEWJO members and guests agree to indemnify and hold harmless the property owner, City of Lewiston, for any accident/injury occurring on their property.

We greatly appreciate your consideration in allowing us access to this land.

Sincerely,

James Hartford
[deleted]
SKEETER
Scott Brown

NEWJO Maine
Overland Jeepers of Maine
Scott SKEETER Brown
Site Admin

Postby Scott Hatch » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:47 pm

Will this be NEWJO only or NEA access also?

Is this line needed? Our access will change the land, that is a possible open door for problems in the future

and leave the land as they found it.
Scott Hatch

Postby Scott SKEETER Brown » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:25 pm

Good question. At 14 acres I can't imagine that there is a whole lot going on but I haven't scouted it. It would be my intention for NEA access. Matter of fact James (the author) asked me that tonight if the letter should come from NEWJO, NEWJO Maine Chapter, or NEA. My initial thought was NEWJO Maine Chapter to give it the local feel............but maybe I am wrong on this? What do you think?
SKEETER
Scott Brown

NEWJO Maine
Scott SKEETER Brown
Site Admin

Postby Scott Hatch » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:30 am

Its your call, 14 acres isn't very large and now I understand some of the requirements
Scott Hatch

Postby Paul » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:43 am

NEWJO members and guests agree to indemnify and hold harmless the property owner, City of Lewiston, for any accident/injury occurring on their property.

I would recite the ME held harmless statute verbatim with the ruling number and all that. That will slam home the no liability issue. I think that is what would most concern the town. :paul:

Great job though. :thumbs:
Guy that used to do stuff a long long time ago.
Paul

Postby yj_x » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:58 pm

Paul wrote:
NEWJO members and guests agree to indemnify and hold harmless the property owner, City of Lewiston, for any accident/injury occurring on their property.

I would recite the ME held harmless statute verbatim with the ruling number and all that. That will slam home the no liability issue. I think that is what would most concern the town. :paul:

Yes, I believe that was one of their main concerns, the other being that people have dumped stuff at this location. There is a no dumping sign at the beginning of the trail.

Thanks for the input
yj_x

Postby Mikey » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:04 pm

at least on private land in Maine (not sure about commercial) land owners are not held liable if you hurt yourself (if they don't charge you for access to their land.)
Mikey

Postby Scott SKEETER Brown » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:05 pm

yj_x wrote:
Paul wrote:

Yes, I believe that was one of their main concerns, the other being that people have dumped stuff at this location. There is a no dumping sign at the beginning of the trail.

Thanks for the input

Welcome!! yj_x is the author and initiative of this letter.
SKEETER
Scott Brown

NEWJO Maine
Scott SKEETER Brown
Site Admin

Postby yj_x » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:25 pm

Paul wrote:I would recite the ME held harmless statute verbatim with the ruling number and all that. That will slam home the no liability issue. I think that is what would most concern the town. :paul:

Anyone have this?
Thanks
yj_x

Postby yj_x » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:49 pm

How does this sound?

NEWJO members and guests agree to indemnify and hold harmless the property owner, City of Lewiston, for any accident/injury occurring on their property according to Maine state law 622.
yj_x

Postby rblank » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:29 am

Looks like it'll do the job.
rblank

Postby Paul » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:53 am

"....as per Maine State Law #622"

sounds more official that way. :paul: :paul:
Guy that used to do stuff a long long time ago.
Paul

Postby Scott SKEETER Brown » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:51 am

I have seen the latest draft and it really looks great.
SKEETER
Scott Brown

NEWJO Maine
Scott SKEETER Brown
Site Admin

Return to Trail Conservation