nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

ATTN NH RESIDENTS: Support HB 349

*Public* Our trails are an endangered species. Please visit and contribute to this forum often.

ATTN NH RESIDENTS: Support HB 349

Postby Scott Hatch » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:41 pm

Jericho Mountain State Park Update
Political Call to Action for NH Residents!

Thanks to the continued efforts of Marc Pouliot from North Woods Off Road and the NEA4WDC, House Bill 349 has been submitted to gain 4x4 access to Jericho Mountain State Park.

NH House Bill 349 is currently in committee.....I ask ALL NH residents to call, mail, or email their state representative. Tell your state representative that you support 4x4 motorized access at Jericho Mountain State Park and request that they support HB 349.

The link and text of HB 349 is below

Who's My Legislator?

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/members/wml.aspx

House Bill 349

http://legiscan.com/NH/text/HB349/id/690965

UPDATE 02/19/2013:

The committe is voting on HB 349 on March 5th. Please email the committee members in support of the bill. If you are not a NH resident, please emphasize that you would be coming into the area of Jericho Mountain State Park supporting the local economy

Committee Members:

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/c ... x?code=H22

UPDATE 03/07/2013:

HB 349 passed the committe with a vote of 17-2. Currently the full house is expected to vote on the bill Wednesday 03/13.

Please take a moment to contact your state rep requesting they support this bill

UPDATE 03/20/2013:

HB 349 passed with a majority consent vote in the House. Now the bill will move on to the Senate Energy and Resource Committee.

This committee will not see the bill for at least a couple of weeks with the expectation of a hearing sometime towards the beginning of May.

Thank you all for the continued support and expect another call of support soon. :up:

UPDATE 04/19/2013:

HB 349 has passed the NH Senate with a majority consent vote in Senate

Now the Bill is on the way to Governor Hassan for her signature turning this into law

HB 349 – AS INTRODUCED

2013 SESSION

13-0424

10/03

HOUSE BILL 349

AN ACT relative to OHRV operation of certain 4-wheel drive vehicles on trails within Jericho Mountain state park.

SPONSORS: Rep. Coulombe, Coos 3; Rep. H. Richardson, Coos 4; Rep. Theberge, Coos 3; Sen.�Woodburn, Dist 1

COMMITTEE: Resources, Recreation and Development

ANALYSIS

This bill allows the bureau of trails, department of resources and economic development, to permit 4-wheel drive motor vehicles registered as OHRVs to operate at Jericho Mountain state park at specific times and on specific trails.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Explanation: Matter added to current law appears in bold italics.

Matter removed from current law appears [in brackets and struckthrough.]

Matter which is either (a) all new or <b repealed and reenacted appears in regular type.

13-0424

10/03

STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE

In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Thirteen

AN ACT relative to OHRV operation of certain 4-wheel drive vehicles on trails within Jericho Mountain state park.

Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:

1 Trails on State Lands; Jericho Mountain State Park. Amend RSA 215-A:43, VII© to read as follows:

© A person may operate an OHRV within Jericho Mountain state park which weighs up to 1,600 pounds and is no wider than 65 inches on specifically designated trails within Jericho Mountain state park, provided that, in addition, the bureau of trails may permit operation of wider or heavier 4-wheel drive motor vehicles registered as OHRVs at specific times and on specific trails.
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Re: ATTN NH RESIDENTS: Support HB 349

Postby Scott Hatch » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:42 pm

Please disperse to your members.....

I am waiting to here where out of state residents can show support
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby Rafikie » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:57 pm

Liked and shared on the FB
Rafikie

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:33 am

x-posting
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Postby Scott Hatch » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:07 pm

UPDATE 02/19/2013:

The committe is voting on HB 349 on March 5th. Please email the committee members in support of the bill. If you are out of state, please emphasize that you would be coming into the area of Jericho Mountain State Park supporting the local economy

Committee Members:

Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby Scott Hatch » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:08 pm

Please copy the edit into any posted messages

If you have not posted this yet, please do so ASAP!
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby Scott Hatch » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:24 pm

Looking around at various sites and many clubs haven't posted about this......isn't access to Public Land in New England one of our major goals? We cannot attain this goal without our members!

PLEASE take the time to copy and paste this to your website!
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby FRANKENSTIEN » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:34 pm

Only one week left. Please send emails showing your support for this bill. They do listen to you. I have even received replies from some of the reps on the commitee that I emailed to.

Please help.
MIKE LARGESSE
Northwoods Offroad(NWOR) Treasurer- NEA Delegate- Event Coordinator
FRANKENSTIEN

Postby 1/4-Ton-XJ » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:45 am

Posted :up:
My buggy is for sale, message me for details.
1/4-Ton-XJ

Postby Hyde802 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:54 am

Posted!
Caleb Sugarman
Northeast Toyota Crawlers
Green Mountain Crawlers
Hyde802

Postby Rafikie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:59 am

Posted to WM4x4.com and WM44 FB page :up:
Rafikie

Postby Scott Hatch » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:07 am

Please quote the text to ensure you get the correct and entire web addresses :up:
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby Eric » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:45 pm

I have mentioned Jerico Mountain to the OSJ membership but we don't have any members who are NH residents and I don't think there is any value for non-residents to contact NH legislators directly.

I do think the NEA should submit a letter to the committee in support of the bill. This letter would of course mention that the Association consists of 27 clubs representing over 1,000 members spanning the Northeast and the related economic benefit we can bring. Even better would be for somebody representing the NEA to show up at the hearing with the letter in hand.

Similarly, it could not hurt if clubs that are incorporated in NH also submit a letter and/or show up at the hearing.

Last comment. Wouldn't it be nice if as part of the annual dues process club's also submitted a membership roster which included town/state of residence for their members and contact information (e-mail and/or phone #). We would then be position to directly target the call to action. Wishful thinking on my part?
Eric

Postby Scott Hatch » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:21 pm

On the contrary Eric, non residents supporting the bill shows that passing the bill will energize the local economy of Berlin NH. The Department of Economic Development understands that recreational dollars is a vital part of NH's economy. They also understand that motorized users spend more money within the areas they recreate. If we can a lot of out of state support, these legislators understand the support equals money pumped into a very economically depressed area.

Please note the update:

UPDATE 02/19/2013:

The committe is voting on HB 349 on March 5th. Please email the committee members in support of the bill. If you are not a NH resident, please emphasize that you would be coming into the area of Jericho Mountain State Park supporting the local economy]

Committee Members:

Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby 1/4-Ton-XJ » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:44 pm

Scott Hatch wrote:On the contrary Eric, non residents supporting the bill shows that passing the bill will energize the local economy of Berlin NH. The Department of Economic Development understands that recreational dollars is a vital part of NH's economy. They also understand that motorized users spend more money within the areas they recreate. If we can a lot of out of state support, these legislators understand the support equals money pumped into a very economically depressed area.

I let them know I was an out of stater, and that I spend a large portion of my time (& money) up in NH. And I hope that Massachusetts and other New England states may follow their lead :up:
1/4-Ton-XJ

Postby FRANKENSTIEN » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:50 pm

Heres a email from a commitee member commenting on nonresident status:

Dear Michael,
Thank you for writing and expressing your opinions. As a member of the State Parks Advisory Council I realize that our parks are not self-funded and that sources of revenue are always being sought to make them all more accessible and enjoyable, not just to the residents of NH but to those coming from out of the area to take advantage of the recreational activities NH offers. I am sure that HB 349 will be considered most conscientiously by the RR & D Committee.
Respectfully,
Rep. Leigh A. Webb
Merrimack Dist. 3

Your nonresident input can help with this topic. Thank you.
MIKE LARGESSE
FRANKENSTIEN

Postby BC » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:07 am

I am working on submitting a letter from me and the NEA. I will post to the VJA board this morning too. Our club runs events in NH and has membership that lives in NH, makes sense to support every where legal motorized recreation is in the Northeast.
Brenda (BC) Churchill
Delegate to the Northeast Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs
Vermont Jeep Association former President, Vice President
Former NEA4WDC President
brickerjeeper@gmail.com
Fall Crawl: Always the weekend after Labor Day
BC

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:41 am

updating
Mike White
mrfreakinwhite

Postby Eric » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:29 am

1/4-Ton-XJ wrote: . . . And I hope that Massachusetts and other New England states may follow their lead :up:
Me too. I was meeting with RI DEM a couple weeks ago to discuss access to public land and they specifically asked if other New England states have opened up public land to four-wheel drives. This could be the first domino to fall.
Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:31 am

BC wrote:I am working on submitting a letter from me and the NEA. I will post to the VJA board this morning too. Our club runs events in NH and has membership that lives in NH, makes sense to support every where legal motorized recreation is in the Northeast.

I would be more than happy to review the draft and provide feedback. Just e-mail it to me when you are ready.
Eric

Postby 1/4-Ton-XJ » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:01 am

Technohead wrote:
1/4-Ton-XJ wrote:This could be the first domino to fall.

Thats good to hear they are thinking about it, and my thoughts exactly! Just like with the OHV sticker issue and many other things, NH tends to be ahead of the curve :up:
1/4-Ton-XJ

Postby Watkinstj » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:24 pm

Posted ADKJ and sent email to the committee.
Shane Watkins
Adirondack Jeeps Secretary
NEA delegate
Watkinstj

Postby BC » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:01 am

Sent this letter to the committee and the chairwoman. Please feel free to copy the text and send it out to your legislator. I work with several of our local legislators here in Vermont and THEY READ EVERY ONE OF THESE LETTERS. Please take a moment to send, even if you just copy and paste it....I have left blanks where you can put in your information. NH clubs please get this to your members....this is easy, really!!

Dear (your legislator here),

My name is (your name here), a member of (your club here) that belongs to the Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs (NEA) and I am writing to register support for HB349 : AN ACT relative to OHRV operation of certain 4-wheel drive vehicles on trails within Jericho Mountain state park.

The NEA is a regional umbrella organization consisting of 27 member clubs representing over 1,200 full size four wheel drive enthusiasts throughout the Northeast. We were founded under the direction of Retired Major Tim Acerno of the NH Fish and Game in 1999 and incorporated within the state of New Hampshire in 2001. We have representation on the NH STAC and involvement in many towns in NH.

The families we serve enjoy the natural beauty that New Hampshire offers and passage of the bill would only help increase tourism related revenue from within our member clubs. Please support HB349.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Sincerely,

(your name and contact info here)

Easy huh?
Brenda (BC) Churchill
Former NEA4WDC President
brickerjeeper@gmail.com
BC

Postby Eric » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:30 pm

Perfect. :)
Eric

Postby axle » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:10 pm

BC, I put your letter on NEJZ
Bob Butler, New England Jeepz
axle

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:09 am

i posted the letter
Mike White
mrfreakinwhite

Postby BILLYjp2 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:39 pm

posted on UJ and naxja as well.
New England Overland Outfitters, FTR
http://neoverlandoutfitters.com
BILLYjp2

Postby travltek » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:24 pm

Posted your letter to MK
Tom
Mass Krawlers
New England Jeepz
travltek

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:24 am

Technohead wrote:
1/4-Ton-XJ wrote: . . . And I hope that Massachusetts and other New England states may follow their lead :up:
Me too. I was meeting with RI DEM a couple weeks ago to discuss access to public land and they specifically asked if other New England states have opened up public land to four-wheel drives. This could be the first domino to fall.
The first domino to fall is Ma Bell, purchased by the city of Northapmton, MA, to preserve as a historic OHRV trail. No stickers, no fees, no BS - just stay on the trail (which will most likely be its undoing due to trail braiding, especially to the north side of the trail).
Mike White
mrfreakinwhite

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:24 am

mrfreakinwhite wrote:. . . The first domino to fall is Ma Bell, purchased by the city of Northapmton, MA, to preserve as a historic OHRV trail. . .
I actually mentioned Ma Bell and the Class VI roads in NH as examples public land open to full-size 4x4's. What appears to be unique about Jerico Mountain is that this will be the first time a state has established a park where full-size 4x4's are allowed.

I think it will be a very powerful tool for us to point to the Jerico Mountain web site with an icon showing that full-size 4x4's are allowed.
Eric

Postby FRANKENSTIEN » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:29 pm

Commitee meeting today. Lets hope we made an impression with their decisions, with all the letters/emails that were sent. Its hard to trust a politician. :roll:
MIKE LARGESSE
FRANKENSTIEN

Postby BC » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Mike, for the record, your efforts are appreciated.

BC
Brenda (BC) Churchill
Former NEA4WDC President
brickerjeeper@gmail.com
BC

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:02 pm

FRANKENSTIEN wrote:Commitee meeting today. Lets hope we made an impression with their decisions, with all the letters/emails that were sent. Its hard to trust a politician. :roll:

Good luck. Keep up the good work!!
Eric

Postby Scott Hatch » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:09 pm

:hello: Spoke with Chris Gamache and HB 349 passed the committee 17-2 :hello:

There was an amendment placed on the bill.....first there was a concern that "tanks" or skidders using the trails :lol:

Also that that the Trail Bureau would be given 3 years to identify, fund, and develop 4x4 trails on the property

From previous meetings I had with Trails Bureau, an area has already been identified.

I didn't have a lot of time to speak with Chris as he was on the road but I will speak with him more tomorrow :up:
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby Rafikie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:18 pm

That's some great news :up:
Rafikie

Postby BC » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:45 pm

Great team effort!

I know we had an impact.

Thank you, all who wrote or called!
Brenda (BC) Churchill
Former NEA4WDC President
brickerjeeper@gmail.com
BC

Postby FRANKENSTIEN » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:48 pm

A big step is complete. :up: Now, on to the Senate. More politicians! :roll:
MIKE LARGESSE
FRANKENSTIEN

Postby BC » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:50 pm

FRANKENSTIEN wrote:A big step is complete. :up: Now, on to the Senate. More politicians! :roll:

Please let us know what you need and when!! Thanks Mike!!
Brenda (BC) Churchill
Former NEA4WDC President
brickerjeeper@gmail.com
BC

Postby Scott Hatch » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:04 pm

UPDATE 03/07/2013:

HB 349 passed the committee with a vote of 17-2. Currently the full house is expected to vote on the bill Wednesday 03/13.

Please take a moment to contact your state rep requesting they support this bill
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:31 am

x-posting latest results
Mike White
mrfreakinwhite

Postby axle » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:47 am

updated on nejz
Bob Butler, New England Jeepz
axle

Postby Scott Hatch » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:28 am

UPDATE 03/20/2013:

HB 349 passed with a majority consent vote in the House. Now the bill will move on to the Senate Energy and Resource Committee.

This committee will not see the bill for at least a couple of weeks with the expectation of a hearing sometime towards the beginning of May.

Thank you all for the continued support and expect another call of support soon. :up:
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby BC » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:01 pm

Got this in my email this morning. Only 2 senators did not reply to my emails. This is very good news.

Dear Mr. Churchill,

Thank you for your e-mail on HB 349 (relative to OHRV operation of certain 4-wheel drive vehicles on trails within Jericho Mountain state park). Senator Bradley is pretty tied up with meetings all day today, so I am responding on his behalf. The Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, on which Senator Bradley sits, voted yesterday to recommend this bill Ought to Pass. The bill now goes to the floor of the full Senate next Thursday, April 18th. Senator Bradley will continue to support this legislation for that vote as well.

Thank you again for contacting our office.

Sincerely,

Marty

Marty Cote

Office of the Senate Majority Leader
Senator Jeb Bradley
107 N. Main Street
Room 302
Concord, NH 03301
(603) 271-8472
Brenda (BC) Churchill
Former NEA4WDC President
brickerjeeper@gmail.com
BC

Postby FRANKENSTIEN » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:52 pm

I got that same email. I am looking at this very positively. I felt this commitee would have been the stone wall but we have cleared this obstacle. Could this really become legislation this spring?
MIKE LARGESSE
FRANKENSTIEN

Postby Scott Hatch » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:06 pm

Pending the senate vote and then Maggie Hassan's signature....then comes the hard part :hello:
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby Scott Hatch » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:15 pm

UPDATE 04/19/2013:

HB 349 has passed the NH Senate with a majority consent vote in Senate

Now the Bill is on the way to Governor Hassan for her signature turning this into law
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:14 pm

wOOt!
Mike White
mrfreakinwhite

Postby Rafikie » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:37 pm

mrfreakinwhite wrote:wOOt!

x2

:woot: :woot:
Rafikie

Postby BC » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:41 am

Does everyone know that this bill PASSED and was signed into law?

Two guys named Marc Pouliot and Mike Largesse from NWOR have put a ton time and effort into bring this to reality along with Chris Gamache who tirelessly guided this through the New Hampshire legislature (and took them out for trail rides in ATVs and UTVs). Now we have the next step in front of us. We get to lay out and mark trails for approval of the state forester to be able to cut the trails and ride.

In a meeting on Thursday morning at Jericho Mountain State Park, Chris, Mark, Mike, and myself worked on that plan to make this real. Chris picked out 2 parcels (there are several more) to start with for the first full size 4x4 trails in a state park in the northeast United States!! While we were there, we walked half of the first tract and now have a much better idea of the topography and Mike walked out of the woods with a single moose antler as well.

Here are some dates and what will be needed. We discussed having 2 teams of 3-4 people meet at the park on Saturday July 13 or Saturday July 20 to walk and lay out trails on both parcels. Chris Gamache will supervise which ever day we choose. If that work is completed then the forester will be asked to review the work to approve cutting. If we need another day, that will be planned depending on what was accomplished on the initial survey. We could be cutting trails this October if all goes well.

Nice work everyone!!
Brenda (BC) Churchill
Former NEA4WDC President
brickerjeeper@gmail.com
BC

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:04 am

Awesome. I might be able to show up on the 13th. Keep us posted.
Eric

Next

Return to Trail Conservation