nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Moab Battle needs help

*Public* Our trails are an endangered species. Please visit and contribute to this forum often.

Moab Battle needs help

Postby Scott Hatch » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:21 am

Two alerts in one day! Please read the message below and, please RESPOND. I know it seems like there is always a letter to write or call to make, but stay with us, it's worth it. If we all unite together (all user groups) we can overcome the radical enviros, and help preserve the activities we all love. It's worth it.

The BLM has published its EA (Environmental Assessment) for the RR4W Jeep Safari 5-year permit, which expires at the end of this year. Whether you are an EJS fan or not, it is imperative that we all write to the BLM supporting Alternative A, which basically grants the permit as requested. (Alternate B would deny several routes, including Pritchett and others, and Alt. C would deny the permit completely.) The EA for this permit is not only for EJS and Labor Day Campout, but for all other motorized, non-competitive events that require permits on EJS trails.

Even though the EA does not effect casual motorized use (i.e. use that does not require a permit), the denial or restriction of the EJS permit would set disastrous precedent for Moab trails. Once "permitted" use is banned, how long do you think it would be before some of these trails are closed to ALL motorized use?

PLEASE go to http://www.blm.gov/utah/moab/ea-ut-060-2005-080.pdf and download the document (its a PDF file), read through it, and WRITE A LETTER TO THE BLM SUPPORTING ALTERNATIVE A. The public comment period runs through October 31.

Jeff Stevens
Moab Friends-For-Wheelin'
Red Rock 4-Wheelers
Scott Hatch

Postby Scott Hatch » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:23 am

A major topic at the last meeting of the Red Rock 4 Wheelers was the status of the 5 year permit and what is happening. Dave Adams our present Land Use Officer and Jeff Stevens, former vice president of the club gave us an up date and it is at best alarming.

The Environmental Assessment (EA) was released to the public on October 1, with a comment period that ends on October 30, 2005. The plan has three possible options, one of which will be chosen and will be not only the guidance for the Red Rock 4 Wheelers, but all permittees for the next 5 years.

Option "A" will issue the permit pretty much as presently configured, with some very minor adjustments. This also gives us Arch Canyon and Hotel rock as additions to the permit. The club also asked for and will be granted exclusive use of some trails on scheduled Safari days. This is the option that we would like to see chosen since it allows the Red Rock 4 Wheelers as well as all other permitted groups and commercial outfitters to continue to run the standard Safari trails.

Option "B" is more severe and is not acceptable as it is presently written. The recommendations under option B are to close all or portions, to permitted use the following: Arch Canyon, Hey Joe Canyon, Hotel Rock, Kane Creek, Tusher Canyon ( part of Seven mile Rim), Pritchett Canyon and Bartlett wash (part of 3D).

Option "C" is No Action or no permit - no Jeep Safari and all permitted activity would cease on the marked trails, This includes all commercial outfitters, and all clubs and organizations that presently come to Moab. This includes Suzuki, Hummer, Cherokees, Broncos and all of the other clubs that apply for permits. This option is not acceptable to the Red Rock 4 Wheelers, but it is the one that our environmental friends are going to try to push through.

We have good reason to believe that SUWA, The Sierra Club, Red Rock Wilderness, and others are planning a major mail campaign to influence the BLM in their decision.

The BLM is not taking e-mail responses. They have specified mailed letters and comments, to be in their hand by October 30, 2005. There is not much time to protect our trails!! Enclosed in the newsletter is a form letter for you to use as a guide. Please fill it out or draft your own comments and send them to the BLM NOW.

The BLM in their defense, makes the case for the issuance of the permit under option A, however they can be influenced by large numbers of comments being submitted. That is why it is imperative for us to react. Feel free to make copies of the form and spread it around to your friends that enjoy 4 wheeling in the Moab area.

If you would like a copy of the EA, you can phone the Moab BLM office at (435)- 259-2100 between 8 and 4:30 Monday thru Friday. When you request a copy, be sure and ask to be placed on the mailing list for the record of decision on the EA.

You will be looking for Draft Environmental Assessment UT-060-2005-080. It is about 65 pages and is very eye-opening about the process.

During the scoping phase of the EA, the BLM received 176 comments from interested parties, most of which were opposed to the Safari. The BLM addresses these in the EA and pretty much puts most of them to rest, but that won’t stop the environmental groups to send tons of letters to the BLM.

The preferred method is a personal letter. Form letters are OK because they add to the count. Petitions, while seeming to be effective in some government arenas, are only treated as one response, no matter how many names are on the petition.

Remember, this not only affects the Red Rock 4 Wheelers, but all permitted and commercial uses. The BLM is quick to point out that they would prefer to have organized events, since they tend to be more responsible to the permit requirements and stay on the marked trails. This will not affect individual travel on any of the trails. You will still be allowed to come to Moab and enjoy the scenery and the fabulous trails, but you will not be allowed to have any type of organized activity if we don’t respond NOW!!
Scott Hatch

Postby Treasurer » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:14 pm

Oh I am going to write them a letter. I was kicked in the face for the last time by a junkyard in NH. They told me I could not take the timing cover off a Zuk because I would have to wheel out to the car in the yard. I had to pay a goon to remove the cover and get me the tensioner. Once I find a good ADA lawyer my first target is the Milford Drive in. I have asked them for three years now to make the place ADA compliant. I figure they have had 15 years save up the money or get a loan so the time is now to make the modifications. The junkyard will get it to down the road. I cannot harp on this subject much more. The NEA4WDC needs an Access For ALL Vehicle. I have been thinking about making my Zuk into the vehicle. We have not hit the Jap aftermarket for donated parts yet. We need to sue every government agency that will not give the disabled real access to public lands. If there is a road that goes to the top of a mountain I want ADA access for all who want to see the top of that mountain. The government cannot deny disabled access runs. The clubs in Moab should be having runs with disabled people. I bet I can start a company out west that takes out and lets disabled people drive offroad and be successful. Wait a 4x4 for rent that disabled people can drive. Also a disabled access run has to have able bodies people in attendance in order for it to be safe. I hope the lightbulb has come on.
Steve N.
Treasurer NEA4WDC
Treasurer

Postby Treasurer » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:14 pm

My letter is on the way out to Utah.
Steve N.
Treasurer NEA4WDC
Treasurer

Moab Letter

Postby Charleen » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:39 pm

We passed around letters at our meeting last Friday and more will be sent in. Hopefully many letters will help.

Cheers!
Charleen
Cheerfully,
Charleen McFarlane, Treasurer
Vermont Jeep Association
www.vtjeep.org
Charleen

Return to Trail Conservation