nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

BRC Action Alert: Help keep the Continental Divide National

*Public* Our trails are an endangered species. Please visit and contribute to this forum often.

BRC Action Alert: Help keep the Continental Divide National

Postby Robin » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:43 pm

Dear BRC Action Alert Subscriber,

Our partners in Colorado are fighting a skirmish in an ongoing battle that essentially extends from Canada to Mexico. The legislation authorizing the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail did not specifically exclude this trail being open to motorized vehicles. Unfortunately, agenda driven bureaucrats have once again twisted the intent of Congress and are attempting to make the CDNST totally non-motorized. BRC is working this issue in Montana, Colorado and New Mexico where anti-access groups are all too eager to assist.

BRC applauds the Colorado Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition (COHVCO: see http:www.cohvco.org ) for their diligent effort to keep motorized portions of the CDNST open. So far, their efforts have been successful.

Strong public support must be shown for alternatives that leave motorized sections of the CDNST open. Please help us by responding to the action alert below.

Thanks,

Brian Hawthorne
Public Lands Director
BlueRibbon Coalition
208-237-1008

SITUATION:

The US Forest Service is proposing changes to the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail (CDNST) in Colorado. The FS recently released the CDNST Halfmoon Creek to Monarch Pass Relocation Environmental Assessment for public comment. Currently, extended portions of the existing CDNST between Halfmoon Creek and South Fooses Pass in Lake, Chaffee, and Gunnison Counties, are located on trails and roads open to motorized use.

To their credit, the FS is attempting to preserves existing motorized segments. New non-motorized trail segments are proposed for construction and the CDNST will be rerouted to use the new segments. The existing motorized segments will remain open to motorized use and will no longer be part of the CDNST.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:

Send a quick email to the FS using comment suggestions below. The 30 day public comment period will end January 17, 2006.

EMAIL INSTRUCTIONS

Address your email to: Jeff Leisy, Interdisciplinary Team Leader/Trails for the CDNST reroute

jleisy@fs.fed.us.

IMPORTANT:

Include CDNST Relocation Project in the subject line of your email. Be certain to include your name and address in your email.

SUGGESTED COMMENTS:

I strongly support Alternative C, the proposed alternative. This action will preserve the motorized segments that I ride my motorcycle on each summer for recreation. I support the separation of motorized and non-motorized trail users for the CDNST as the most practical and sensible way to achieve a high-quality, national-class hiking trail. I encourage the USFS to propose a similar reroute of the CDNST south of the current project area. No other trail of such national interest is more deserving of non-motorized designation. I support preservation of the motorized segments in the remaining trail.

Delegate for rent, inquire within.
Robin

Postby Robin » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:46 pm

To their credit, the FS is attempting to preserves existing motorized segments. New non-motorized trail segments are proposed for construction and the CDNST will be rerouted to use the new segments. The existing motorized segments will remain open to motorized use and will no longer be part of the CDNST.

This seems to be true - I got a response not too long after sending my email.

Robin, thanks for your comments. They will help greatly in the process of making the final decision for this project.

Jeff Leisy
CDNST Project Manager
Leadville Ranger District, PSICC
810 Front Street, Leadville, CO 80461
(719) 486-0749
jleisy@fs.fed.us

Delegate for rent, inquire within.
Robin

Return to Trail Conservation