nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Upstate NY

*Public* Our trails are an endangered species. Please visit and contribute to this forum often.

Upstate NY

Postby adk_tj » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:25 pm

Most don't know me, but I introduced myself in another thread. I'm Steve, president of Adirondack Jeeps in upstate NY. Our club is interested in joining an organization with involvement in NY. What can you tell me has been done in NY to entice us to join? What future plans are there in regards to us?
Just sending out feelers to ascertain our next step.
adk_tj

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:39 pm

Hey Steve, I am new to the NEA myself, but my first impression was that the organization consists of a great bunch of guys and gals that are interested in protecting the wheeling in New England.

ATTN: NEA members This guy knows his stuff and wants to get involved. Lets see if we can keep him interested in the NEA!

Garret
VP LIOR

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:41 pm

This time I logged in :lol:

Garrett
VP LIOR

gmoore

Postby rblank » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:22 pm

No you didn't Garrett :P

Steve, we don't have a whole lot of involvement at this point in NY. But don't take that as being for a lack of desire. There just wasn't a lot of people from the area here. But that seems to be rapidly changing. I also know of a small group of friends in the Ft. Drum area that I hope will do the right thing and become an incorporated club and join as well.

I guess what I'm telling you is that the future involvemnmt in NY can be whatever you would like it to be. :mrgreen: But we all would certainly be willing to help you in any way we can. I know that we'd be more than happy to help fight the Forrest Reserve plan trying to get passed up in your neck. And obviously your range reaches into Western MA. I ran into a few from your club in November on OFR with Scott Hatch. I'm not sure if you were present or not unfortunately. We're extremely active there.

What I can suggest is for you to hang out a while, get to know us, bounce some ideas around, and get a feel for what we're about. I'm sure it's a bit of a hike for you, but you'd be more than welcome to attend our next delegate meeting in March. I beleive it's scheduled to be held in Derry, NH. But keep an eye out for details.

Good luck in your search and hope to meet you soon.

Roger Blank
*DISCLAIMER* - The views expressed herein are the personal views of the author and do not in any way represent, nor imply to represent, the views of the North East Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, it's officers, members, or affiliates.
rblank

Postby Scott Hatch » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:04 am

The NEA is comprised of volunteers from its member clubs that have come together to fight for land access in our area. The NEA offers years experience, advice on approaching government officials for access, and facilitates communication between its member clubs. In addition we leverage our memberships in United and Tread Lightly to hold seminars and courses to further educate our members in various aspects of Land Access. The NEA can also draw its large number of members, currently over 750 and growing, to push our message for land access!

Another benefit for NEA member clubs is its umbrella insurance policy that covers all its member clubs. This can be a valuable tool when approaching landowners for access on private land.

Did I mention access to Private land? Although some of it may be a haul from Upstate NY there are many excellent recreational opprotunities for NEA member clubs in MA, NH, and some in development by the NEA and our member clubs in CT, RI, VT, ME

In addition to access our organization also has years of trail building experience and more importantly proper maintenance techniques. Private landowners are often more concerned with future environmental impacts on their land. We maintain our trails today in order to prevent closures battles tomorrow.

I would truly like to see the NEA assist in more activities in NY. As our member base increased in CT so did our push for land access. Together we are a stronger force than we are alone.

Scott
Scott Hatch

Return to Trail Conservation