nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

ATV Bill in CT

*Public* Our trails are an endangered species. Please visit and contribute to this forum often.

ATV Bill in CT

Postby Robin » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:13 pm

Session Year 2006
Raised H.B. No. 5806
TRACK BILL

Introducer(s):
Environment Committee

Title: AN ACT CONCERNING ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLES.

Statement of Purpose: To require the Department of Environmental Protection to purchase property specifically for all-terrain vehicle use, to increase the fees for registration of all-terrain vehicles, and to establish an all-terrain vehicle account.

For the club's position I am writing to the chairs of the Environment Committee, the co-sponsor of the bill, and my own state representative. Jeepers are encouraged to write a similar letter to their own state representative to support the bill.

Find your legislators at:
Click HERE to find your legislators and then click on your district number next to your town.

It is extremely important that you give your rep your full contact information after your name. I omitted mine for privacy reasons below.

NEA and NEJeep's Position:

Representative Richard Roy
Legislative Office Building, Room 3201
Hartford, CT 06106-1591

Senator Bill Finch
Legislative Office Building, Room 3200
Hartford, CT 06106-1591

Representative Patricia M. Widlitz
Legislative Office Building, Room 4034
Hartford, CT 06106-1591

Representative Pamela Z. Sawyer
Legislative Office Building, Room 4200
Hartford, CT 06106-1591

RE: Raised H.B. No. 5806

Dear Representatives Roy, Widlitz, and Sawyer and Senator Finch:

My name is Robin Chacon. I represent the Northeast Jeep Organization, Inc. (NEJeep) as the Land Use and Legislative Director and the Northeast Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, Inc. (NEA4WDC), as the Connecticut Land Access Director. I live in Hebron, CT, am a Tread Lightly!® Master Trainer and participate in many forms of outdoor recreation including motorized and non-motorized. This message serves to state our (NEJeep and NEA4WDC) collective opinion and support regarding passage of Raised Bill No. 5806, An Act Concerning All-Terrain Vehicles.

H.B. 5806 serves to provide legal places to ride and the teeth to allow conservation officers and local police to ticket those that choose not to ride legally. Universal registration is critical to provide funding for land purchase, maintenance of trails, and law enforcement.

Motorized recreationists are legitimate tax paying constituents with no legal place to ride in Connecticut and passing a bill allowing for motorized use of public land is essential. The growing number of motorized recreationists in Connecticut calls for a bill that provides for motorized recreation to balance opportunities while protecting land and resources.

Additionally, further strengthening of this bill could be achieved by adding language requiring certification of registered ATV users on safety and outdoor recreation ethics. As a Tread Lightly!® Master Trainer, I and several other NEJeep and NEA4WDC members are certified to teach eight hour Tread Trainer and three hour Awareness Training courses and would be happy to assist with additional information regarding the same.

Thank you for your time.

Very truly yours,

Robin F. Chacon

Delegate for rent, inquire within.
Robin

Postby Scott Hatch » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

DELEGATES:

Please distribute to your members

Thank you,
Scott Hatch
Scott Hatch

Postby mikesmaxx » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:26 pm