nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

12/10/09 RTP Grant Writing Class

Got a trail ride or other event that is open to the public'? Post it here

12/10/09 RTP Grant Writing Class

Postby Scott Hatch » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:27 pm

The NH Trails Bureau is holding a grant writing class at the Department of Recreation and Economic Develop Building starting at 6pm.

This is a free class and is very useful in order to assist with writing grants for the RTP funds

Dec 10th, 6pm at the DRED building
172 Pembroke Rd
Concord NH

For more information:
http://forum.nea4wd.org/viewtopic.php?t=3789&highlight=
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby tammylynn » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:43 pm

Is the info learned in this class applicable to any state?
tammylynn

Postby Scott Hatch » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:02 pm

I cannot confirm that but the RTP monies are from a federal program so there must be some continuity between states...
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 am

tammylynn wrote:Is the info learned in this class applicable to any state?

They will have tips useful in all states and for any kind of grant plus their RTP specific tips.

I took a class in CT for this and I loved it. I haven't applied it, but...
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Postby Scott Hatch » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:17 am

Thanks Tammy and Mike White for taking the time and attending the RTP Grant Writing Class last night.

Also thanks to Ron and Rebecca from ENH from coming as well.

The people we can get trained, the easier the work load will be for all of us.
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby Paul » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:39 am

So what can we do on a small scale for a grant?
My thought is get a small road repair/kiosk build or something approved and under our belt. Then we can do bigger things as time goes on.

Also, thanks Mike, Scott, Tammy, and ENH folk for attending. :paul:
Guy that used to do stuff a long long time ago.
Paul

Postby Scott Hatch » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:11 am

The minimum request is $1000, the maximum is $25,000. There is a 80/20 match when applying for funds. Our match dollar amount can be general labor ($10.70 per hour), skilled labor, money, materials, etc

I have a couple of ideas here, we need to act on this ASAP as the deadline to submit the applications is 01/29/09 at 4pm AT the NH Trails Bureau office:

http://forum.nea4wd.org/viewtopic.php?t=3852
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:17 am

If Kiosks are the chosen project, try to do as many as possible at once, right? I believe we are limited to 2 grants per year.

Scott/Tammy, let me know if I can help.

There are BIG differences between each of the states in what they will award (total) and compared to CT (2 yrs ago) NH is getting the short end of the stick and probably is better at utilizing the grants for their intended uses. CT was begging for more motorized applicants so they could get more cash for non-motorized trails.

Scott, I wish we had more time to chat and I think you and I should make it a point to just get together and hang out soon. Do some unibody twisting somewhere.

Damn the program for not funding projects that have already been started. :evil:
Mike White
mrfreakinwhite

Postby Scott Hatch » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:31 am

mrfreakinwhite wrote:If Kiosks are the chosen project, try to do as many as possible at once, right? I believe we are limited to 2 grants per year.

A single organization is limited to 2 grants per year HOWEVER that could be 2 for the NEA, 2 for NEWJO, 2 for DWE, etc.

mrfreakinwhite wrote:Scott/Tammy, let me know if I can help.

No worries, I will be asking

mrfreakinwhite wrote:There are BIG differences between each of the states in what they will award (total) and compared to CT (2 yrs ago) NH is getting the short end of the stick and probably is better at utilizing the grants for their intended uses. CT was begging for more motorized applicants so they could get more cash for non-motorized trails.

IIRC last year NH was awarded over 1 million, out of the applicants, the only ones denied were grant requests that were filled out correctly. NH didn't actually spend all the monies - only $900K & during one of the STAC meetings NH had to pay back monies to the FWHA, they had money on had from previous years so this wasn't an issue.

mrfreakinwhite wrote:Scott, I wish we had more time to chat and I think you and I should make it a point to just get together and hang out soon. Do some unibody twisting somewhere.

Well if the snow thaws a bit and there is not enough of a base perhaps we can wheel a bit...
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby tammylynn » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:56 am

I am glad I attended. Definitely quite a bit to digest and while straight forward, it is a pretty intense process. Think..college research paper. :lol: It was good to put a face with the name Bill Gegas.

I would like to see our clubs in other states get more involved with this and look at submitting for grants in their respective states. Like Scott said, the NEA4WDC can only apply for 2 grants and we can only apply in NH since that is where we are incorporated but we can certainly assist clubs to facilitate their own submissions. The overall program is the same...just have to plug in different numbers and such.

Probably one of the only times I support taking semi-free handouts from the government. :lol:
tammylynn

Postby Scott Hatch » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:28 pm

Semi-free? :shock: I hate to say this but we are entitled (puke :lol: )....or maybe more entitled to this money as a few 4x4s pay gas taxes for federal roads but recreate on private lands. That gas tax is kicked back to users that burn the gas tax of off public ways....

FWIW Snowmobilers are the biggest contributors in the state

The free loaders are the "non-motorized" groups that get 30% of these funds....and they get there grubby earth crunchy hands on the other 40% if they allow snowmobiles :evil:

In a way, I would like to see the RTP funds ended just to give the "non-motorized" groups a kick in the ass so they appreciate the motorized users more.

What was that Paul always says about the low hanging fruit? Takes a fruit to know a fruit! :poke: :lol:
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby tammylynn » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:10 pm

:lol: I just meant "semi-free" because of the 20% match.
tammylynn

Postby Scott Hatch » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:42 pm

tammylynn wrote::lol: I just meant "semi-free" because of the 20% match.

:lol: I see :up:
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby Paul » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:44 pm

I know a few hardcore ATV purists that are politically active that think that way too. Drop the RTP funding and do it differently. Thing is there's no guarantees with a new system. No guarantees with the old I guess either but at least there is precendence.
Paul

Postby Scott Hatch » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:07 pm

In the great state of New Hampshire we have the "Grant in Aid" program. This program takes portions of the registration fees, places them in a fund, and then OHRV Clubs or towns looking to create/improve OHRV trails can submit grant requests. This program is exclusive to the motorized users. The Grant in Aid funds and materials can be used as the 20% match on the RTP grants. Grant in Aid funds cover 100% of material costs...

Its sad that the communistwealth hates motorized recreation....Grant in Aid allows for some kick-a$$ trail projects
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby Paul » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:19 pm

Ya. This is like a gift horse we keep walking by and not getting on.

Western MA ATV bought 2 6x6's (Kawi's, not gators :lol: ) with the money.
Paul

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:40 pm

Scott Hatch wrote:In the great state of New Hampshire we have the "Grant in Aid" program. This program takes portions of the registration fees, places them in a fund, and then OHRV Clubs or towns looking to create/improve OHRV trails can submit grant requests. This program is exclusive to the motorized users. The Grant in Aid funds and materials can be used as the 20% match on the RTP grants. Grant in Aid funds cover 100% of material costs...

Its sad that the communistwealth hates motorized recreation....Grant in Aid allows for some kick-a$$ trail projects

Hear ye, hear ye.

Forget roads vs trails (not that i really disagreed), this is where the money is at.
What happens in CT is fawked up! NO MOTORIZED TRAILS and they are scooping up a HUGE allowance of RTP grant money.
Mike White
mrfreakinwhite

Postby Scott Hatch » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:56 pm

mrfreakinwhite wrote:
Scott Hatch wrote:In the great state of New Hampshire we have the "Grant in Aid" program. This program takes portions of the registration fees, places them in a fund, and then OHRV Clubs or towns looking to create/improve OHRV trails can submit grant requests. This program is exclusive to the motorized users. The Grant in Aid funds and materials can be used as the 20% match on the RTP grants. Grant in Aid funds cover 100% of material costs...

Hear ye, hear ye.

Forget roads vs trails (not that i really disagreed), this is where the money is at.
What happens in CT is fawked up! NO MOTORIZED TRAILS and they are scooping up a HUGE allowance of RTP grant money.

Someone needs to call the FHWA and b!tch - they are receiving Federal Gas Taxes when the state has no motorized trails.....as such if the 30% doesn't get called for this is then free-for-all money
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:57 pm

Scott Hatch wrote:
mrfreakinwhite wrote:

Hear ye, hear ye.

Someone needs to call the FHWA and b!tch - they are receiving Federal Gas Taxes when the state has no motorized trails.....as such if the 30% doesn't get called for this is then free-for-all money

Honestly, when I attended that class and I was the ONLY motorized guy there (talk about awkward!) all eyes were on me. The state was begging for help to create motorized trails.
A JonFund member just located a state owned quarry where people ride quads illegally. I am HOPING he comes through with some usable info and something we can actually pursue.
What CT has been doing is grading old roads. NETRA might be getting some RTP funding now, I do not know. (Ah, let me correct myself - NETRA has some motorized trails going and did then, but never had received RTP $$ at that point.)

I am determined to make use of RTP funds in MA once my other projects are squared away. Or CT. I have the two options now with a non-profit in each state.
Mike White
mrfreakinwhite

Return to Public Events