Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

2010 Go Topless Day

Got a trail ride or other event that is open to the public'? Post it here

Postby axle » Wed May 12, 2010 10:02 am

Thanks Mark.
Bob Butler, New England Jeepz
axle

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Wed May 12, 2010 11:43 am

There was an early exit from the trail for unlocked, under 33" vehicles for the reasons Mark said above.
With 60+ degree angles, on curves, on loam, on heights of 20+ feet in places with no guard rail, safety is and was a concern.
I'm in a club with a ton of JKs, I love them. If money was no issue, I'd be wheeling a 2dr JK Rubi on 37s.
We safely took 130 Jeep drivers on an obstacle course, most of them made multiple laps with no injuries. In groups of six, Mark, Pam, Jeremy, Neal, Craig, Mike and Ryan (I brought two groups) did a tremendous job keeping them safe, with the help of about 5 people on the ground.
That is a success in my book.

We also had a few JK drivers leading trail groups after they had done a few laps, but I do not have all their names.

If we do it next year, it will be a lot different.
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Postby tammylynn » Wed May 12, 2010 12:46 pm

Now that's definitely a Jeep (JK) thing I don't understand.

And Navman...you'll never please everyone at something like that. Even if you went out of your way next year and made a JK-only route...someone would still find something to say. :lol: You just do your best to please the majority.
tammylynn

Postby TexsDream77 » Wed May 12, 2010 2:03 pm

I'm just letting you know what's going on on the other Forums and bar room talk. Not a critisism at all. The only thing I can say about the JK vs the others open/open is that the traction control system front and rear is simular if not better than an LSD set up. No they aren't lockers... but, shouldn't really be considered open/open either. But, again.. I'm not criticising (sorry I can't spell either), just letting you know what's going on behind the scenes. I'm sure you did what you needed to do to keep things moving.

As far as the comments they were talking about from other "Jeepers" not necessarily staff was pretty rough to say the least. I would hope that club members wouldn't be bashing these guys new toys to thier faces at least.

I myself was "advised" about being open / open signing up for "harder trails" at the Bethel Jamboree in '08 when I was on 33's. The staff was unfamiliar with the brake lock diff systems and how idiot proof the auto/brake lock diff combo can really be on the trail. All these silly computer nannies do actually work. As for the mini-van and school bus comments.... I usually call my own rig those things... so I don't care.

Anywho, I congradulate you for putting on a great event. Wish I could have been there for the festivities. I just wanted to make you aware that there are a couple of large groups of "non-club" Jeepers that were turned off by the combo of being turned away from some trails and more so by the comments that were made about thier rigs by other participants. The comments I've heard repeated sound a lot like the same old banter when A new Jeep model is released or the "Real Jeeps have ROUND headlights comments. Maybe the new "JK" owner just doesn't get it that it's all in fun. They also loose thier sence of humor when you tell them that thier "$40,000 Jeep is a pizo and they should have bought a TJ or YJ for wheeling and leave the JK for mall crawling" (most common comment they are posting and talking about)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 4" Superlift. 37's, D-60 front, Detriots F&R 5.13 gears

SSW Vice President
TexsDream77

Postby Scott Hatch » Wed May 12, 2010 2:29 pm

FWIW I saw some decently built rigs stuck hard in the mud
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby JayZR2 » Wed May 12, 2010 2:43 pm

hyp·o·crite   [hip-uh-krit]
noun
1. A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
JayZR2

Postby axle » Wed May 12, 2010 2:51 pm

its all good!
Bob Butler, New England Jeepz
axle

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Thu May 13, 2010 5:14 am

TexsDream77 wrote:I'm just letting you know what's going on on the other Forums and bar room talk. ... ...(most common comment they are posting and talking about)

Thank you for the insight, Steve.

I will freely admit that, damn, those stock JKs I've wheeled with this past winter work.
A guy on the small (31") JK tires in the snow made everyone look bad on one trip. I was up front with 2 lockers, breaking trail, trying to stay on the snow and not get into it, and midway back in one group we got this nOObie guy just walking up stuff at a crawl. After the trucks in front of him turned everything into a sheet of ice for the guys in back, his JK was just creeping along, a few inches at a time. It never slid sideways or backwards like the locked Jeeps and he was never revving his engine or trying to get extra momentum before the climbs.
I am NOT a fan of the 3.8L, though. Stalling at full steering wheel lock in the stick models and just not enough torque under 1,000 rpms. At least on the two I've driven. My 4.0L will crawl at 500 rpm, slower than it idles at rest.

Steve, I KNOW how well you did at JJUSA Maine. :D Great pics! Can't wait for this year, I gotta go get that Saturday hard trail for Norman. :twisted:
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Previous

Return to Public Events