Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Aargh! More Forest Future Visions!

Got a trail ride or other event that is open to the public'? Post it here

Aargh! More Forest Future Visions!

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Fri May 20, 2011 4:44 pm

mrfreakinwhite wrote:

For immediate release: Contact: S.J. Port
May 19, 2011 617-626-1453

DCR RELEASES DRAFT MAP IN ANTICIPATION OF ITS SECOND WORKSHOP SERIES ON LANDSCAPE DESIGNATIONS
FOR STATE PROPERTIES

BOSTON – As part of its upcoming series of public workshops to discuss proposed landscape designations on state properties, the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) is releasing the following draft map. DCR is holding a series of seven regional workshops across the Commonwealth this spring to seek public input on the application of landscape designations for DCR properties.

At each workshop, DCR staff will provide the statewide context for the draft designations, but the discussion will be focused on park land in that particular region of the Commonwealth. The workshops are public and therefore open to anyone interested in the future management of DCR park land. The designations will be finalized by fall 2011.

The landscape designation process involves categorizing 308,000 acres of DCR lands as either “parklands,” “reserves,” or “woodlands” to prioritize the services and values these lands provide to the public and the environment. The designations are a top recommendation of the Forest Futures Visioning process that the agency undertook in 2009-2010 to develop a renewed vision and long-term strategy for managing forest lands in the state park system.

Of the three new categories, “parklands” would be managed primarily for recreation, human experiences, and the protection of cultural and natural features. “Reserves” would be managed primarily for biological diversity based on natural processes and the protection of large, contiguous blocks of high-value ecosystems. “Woodlands” would be managed primarily for state-of-the-art sustainable forestry, forest products, and active carbon management.

The upcoming workshops will build upon the first round of workshops held last fall that elicited public input on the draft selection criteria and management guidelines for the three designations.

DCR is holding the workshops around the state to share draft maps, such as the one released today, showing the designations that have been applied to all properties and discuss them with the public. The regional workshops will be held in the following communities:

Tuesday, May 24
Essex Agricultural & Technical High School
562 Maple St.
Danvers
6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.

Wednesday, May 25
Elm Bank Reservation
Washington St.
Wellesley

Thursday, May 26
Berkshire Athenaeum
1 Wendell Ave.
Pittsfield

Thursday, June 2
Frontier Regional High School
113 North Main St.
South Deerfield

Monday, June 6
North Middle School
350 Southampton Rd.
Westfield

Tuesday, June 7
Bristol County Agricultural High School
135 Center Street
Dighton
6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.

Monday, June 13
The Trustees of the Reservation’s Doyle Conservation Center
464 Abbot Ave
Leominster
6:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.

Further information about the Forest Futures Visioning Process, the draft Landscape Designation selection criteria and management guidelines, and the fall 2010 series of Landscape Designation public workshops is available on DCR’s website, www.mass.gov/dcr.

###

The Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR), an agency of the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs, oversees 450,000 acres of parks and forests, beaches, bike trails, watersheds, dams, and parkways. Led by Commissioner Edward M. Lambert Jr., the agency’s mission is to protect, promote, and enhance our common wealth of natural, cultural, and recreational resources. To learn more about DCR, our facilities, and our programs, please visit www.mass.gov/dcr. Contact us at mass.parks@state.ma.us.
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Re: Aargh! More Forest Future Visions!

Postby Bill H » Mon May 23, 2011 8:30 am

Not that any clubs use the area anymore (I do see locals muddied up around there all the time), but it looks like Kingston is slated to become Woodlands. That would officially keep everyone out, correct?

The other thing I find typical from the DCR is that as a cottage owner in Myles Standish, we have not been notified of any of these meetings or what the proposed changes to designated Parklands and Reserves may mean for us.
CCJC - Vice President aka Go Around Bill
Jay's truck is awesome!!!
Bill H

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Mon May 23, 2011 9:21 am

I signed up for updates for the RTP funding and DCR stuff. American Trails is a fairly good source for bad news, too.
Mike White
mrfreakinwhite

Postby navman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:57 am

Anyone going tonight?
Mark
WM4x4
navman

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:52 am

yup
Mike White
mrfreakinwhite

Postby navman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:55 am

That makes 2 of us, anyone else?
Mark
WM4x4
navman

Postby Rafikie » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:30 pm

:mad2: I thought the Leominster meeting was tomorrow night :mad2:
Rafikie

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:25 am

Rafikie wrote::mad2: I thought the Leominster meeting was tomorrow night :mad2:
I was surprised when Mark pm'd me. I would have missed it. I think it went fairly well. They divided the room and seemed to target Mark and I and the known weirdo.

In the hand outs, they recognized, briefly, our comments from the last meeting and included them as goals - although weakened a bit to adapt to their goals. Being included is a small step.
Mark and I, I think, will become more involved in one way or another.

Bob O'Conner, DCR policy dude, and Stephanie, DCR staff were actually very receptive to our input, and a couple other people were VERY receptive to lack of legal access leads to criminal trespass.

25% of MA OHRV registration, with one million raised already through the combined program, is going to purchase new property to support trails. Multi-use does not seem to be the goal.

Mark and I expressed an interest in 21E properties, utility easements on DCR property, unmaintained roads and other places where we can enjoy unimproved terrain not suitable or desirable to other users. We also offered services, like getting volunteers to help. They have a new policy forbidding vehicle use on DCR property by unpaid volunteers. Stephanie thinks that stupid - it's liability related.

To quote someone from the meeting on our work group, "People need the opportunity to make the right choice and the DCR needs to provide that."

The final comment period ends in August. Please visit the DCR site and comment. Real human beings read them. A lot of people attack the DCR personnel and you have an opportunity to say something positive. Myself, I'd encourage the DCR to buy property specifically for a over 1000lb motorized use and offer your help developing the system. Probably the best thing for people with buggies looking for the most extreme terrain is going to be that the DCR will have a certain requirement of personal safety. A couple comments were made about family fun vs x-games.
:heep:
Mike White
mrfreakinwhite

Postby Zaedock » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:49 am

Mike and Mark, thank you guys for going.
Zaedock

Postby cmerrick » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:44 pm

Mike, do you have a link for comments?
cmerrick

Postby navman » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:58 pm

I have the link at home and I'll post it tonight for you.
Mark
WM4x4
navman

Postby navman » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:09 pm

Mark
WM4x4
navman

Return to Public Events