nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Go Topless Day - Saturday May 18th, 2013

Got a trail ride or other event that is open to the public'? Post it here

Go Topless Day - Saturday May 18th, 2013

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:59 pm

For the second year in a row Ocean State Jeepsters will be partnering with All Things Jeep to host the flagship New England Go Topless Day event on Saturday May 18th, 2013.

This years event is being held on the grounds of the Quaboag Riders MC in Monson, MA and will include multiple trail ride options. If clubs are interested in setting up a booth then please send a message to GTD2013@oceanstatejeepsters.com. Don't miss this chance to recruit more members into our community!

Please cross post to your club forums and help spread the word. Hope to see many of you there!!!

Eric

Re: Go Topless Day - Saturday May 18th, 2013

Postby axle » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:29 pm

posted on NEJZ
Bob Butler, New England Jeepz
axle

Postby travltek » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:47 pm

Posted to MK
Tom
Mass Krawlers
New England Jeepz
travltek

Postby Watkinstj » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:50 pm

Posted ADKJ
Shane Watkins
Adirondack Jeeps Secretary
NEA delegate
Watkinstj

Postby janesy86 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:32 pm

Posted WM4x4.
Nick Janes
Mass Mudders
janesy86

Postby schwalby » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:56 pm

posted BSJ
Josh Schwalb

Co-Chairman - Great American Charitable Events
Co-Chairman - Great American Jeep Rally
Creator - Folded Flag Tribute Jeep
schwalby

Postby mr2mike89 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:16 pm

posted USAJO
Mike M.
mr2mike89

Postby BILLYjp2 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:58 pm

Very close to home, sweet!
New England Overland Outfitters, FTR
http://neoverlandoutfitters.com
BILLYjp2

Postby Eric » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:17 pm

As far as I know only the Jeep Rally has requested a club booth. . . .

This should be a great opportunity to recruit new members. Come on out and play!
Eric

Postby BILLYjp2 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:58 pm

Jeeps only for the trail rides, or can any equipped make/model go on them?
BILLYjp2

Postby Eric » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:29 am

BILLYjp2 wrote:Jeeps only for the trail rides, or can any equipped make/model go on them?

Good question. I will ask the guys who are running the event but I'm pretty sure they won't object . . . just as long as we don't have a convoy of Toyota's rolling through the gate at the same time. :mrgreen:
Eric

Postby BILLYjp2 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:27 pm

Technohead wrote:
BILLYjp2 wrote:Jeeps only for the trail rides, or can any equipped make/model go on them?

Good question. I will ask the guys who are running the event but I'm pretty sure they won't object . . . just as long as we don't have a convoy of Toyota's rolling through the gate at the same time. :mrgreen:

my toyota's top comes off!
BILLYjp2

Postby Eric » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:02 pm

This event is now less than 7 weeks away!!!

We spent a day last weekend working on the trails and cut a new "difficult" trail option. Its pretty steep. We are going to require at least one locker, front/rear tow hooks, and airing down to 15 psi or less. Tire size of 33 or greater is highly recommended. Most of the obstacles have multiple lines with some harder than others. We will have rigs with winches stationed at all of these locations in order to keep things moving along. There will be second trail option for stock rigs and most likely a third trail that will also be suitable for less built rigs. The facility has an (insane) dirt hill climb but its going to be an event-day call.

Here is a picture of the venue taken from atop the hill climb. Its a beautiful facility and the owners are great to work with:

Here are some pictures from the difficult trail. As everyone knows, pictures never do a trail justice. Our test guinea pigs were bouncing off the rev limiter to complete some of these climbs and had to winch more than once. Once we run the trail a few more times and clear off the decaying leaves traction should improve:

These rocks are the "entrance" to the difficult trail. Any rig that cannot make it over will be redirected to the easy trails:

We are building a 30 degree RTI ramp which will be at the event. Other clubs with RTI ramps are encouraged to bring them.

We have recieved quite a few questions about pets. YES, dogs will be allowed if kept leashed. As always, use your judgement. If your pet does not play well with other pets or around kids then its probably best to leave it home.

The guys who will be working the gate tell me that non-Jeep rigs (i.e. Toyota's) will be allowed in. We have a separate parking area for cars but the gate fee still applies to cars.
Last edited by Eric on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Postby schwalby » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:53 pm

So there is 2 trails, one stock one real hard? Just want to confirm.
Josh Schwalb

schwalby

Postby Eric » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:11 pm

schwalby wrote:So there is 2 trails, one stock one real hard? Just want to confirm.

At a minimum. 99% chance there will be a third trail that is suitable for less built rigs. I'm holding out hope for a 4th and possibly 5th option.

Knowing that different people have different definitions of "hard" or "difficult" I want to make it clear that we are not trying to cater to buggies. We are targeting rigs that are (at least marginally) street legal. Our goal is that most locked rigs with experienced drivers not afraid to use a little momentum can get through the difficult trail without winching. Having said that, there is a least one line bordering on extreme and we came an eyelash away from a roll over last weekend. :mrgreen:
Eric

Postby xjmark » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:44 am

CCFW just emailed in a request for a club booth.
Since this is the day before our Race, it's looking like we should have at least a few race jeeps on display and then head out to the race track from there.
Mark Kosciukiewicz, Central Connecticut Four Wheelers, NEA Delegate
Rhode Island Trail Slayers
xjmark

Postby Eric » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:39 am

xjmark wrote:CCFW just emailed in a request for a club booth.
Since this is the day before our Race, it's looking like we should have at least a few race jeeps on display and then head out to the race track from there.
Awesome!

Still room for more . . .
Eric

Postby Eric » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:22 am

I spent the day Friday marking out more sections of trail. The difficult trail now includes another challenging climb and a technical descent where you better listen to the spotter. The "easy" trail includes several nice climbs and we are looking to add another rocky section. Its always a balancing act when creating an easy trail that will be fun for the complete newb in a stock Jeep but still interesting to the guys with a little experience and mild build. At this point getting through the easy trail with a stock Jeep should be no problem but there are a few spots where the newbs will probably freak out.

The "hill climb" is currently in great shape and we hope to have it open for those who are crazy enough to give it a shot.

A sizable group of us will be there Sunday May 5th working on the trails (and then testing them of course.) If anybody on here wants to help out then we can fit in a few more bodies. Contact me PRIVATELY.
Eric

Postby xjmark » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:14 pm

Technohead wrote:The "hill climb" is currently in great shape and we hope to have it open for those who are crazy enough to give it a shot.

One of CCFW's club members is the current record holder for the fastest time up that hill in a 4x4.
If this is a definite, I'll see if he can be talked into bringing one of his hill climb rigs up for a few passes.

We got a good response from the racers, and should have quite a few Southwick race rigs at the show.
xjmark

Postby Eric » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:55 am

xjmark wrote:One of CCFW's club members is the current record holder for the fastest time up that hill in a 4x4.
If this is a definite, I'll see if he can be talked into bringing one of his hill climb rigs up for a few passes.
:mrgreen:

It about as definite as it can be. The hill will be used the week before GTD. Sustained heavy rain during the week will wash the dirt away with no chance to repair.
Eric

Postby Eric » Thu May 02, 2013 7:06 am

Just over two weeks to go!

Latest additions to the raffle lineup include an 8500 lb Superwinch and a $500 gift certificate from Mickey Thompson.

At the moment we have exactly 20 vendors/clubs/orgs signed up for the event including Clayton Offroad, Crown, All Things Jeep, Endangered Species, Jeepin' Stuff, RC Truck Stop, and more. The area we had originally set aside for vendors is now full but we will make room if any clubs want to jump on board over the next few days.

Trail work will be completed next Sunday. This is shaping up to be an awesome event!!
Eric

Postby Eric » Tue May 07, 2013 6:45 am

The team worked for 9 hours Sunday tripling the length of the difficult trail. Alot of time was spent testing and tweaking the obstacles to minimize winching on event day. In the end we still were not able to run a group of locked rigs through without winching once and there are several obstacles that were not crawlable and require momentum. There are a couple new downhill sections that are a little scary. No detail was left uncovered as Tad even brought out his leaf blower to clear the trails!

Eric

Postby xjmark » Mon May 13, 2013 8:49 pm

Maybe I missed it, but what time do the club booths need to be set up by?
xjmark

Postby Eric » Tue May 14, 2013 6:25 am

Mark: e-mail sent. Depending on the amount of setup then you should arrive by 8:30 at the latest. Eariler if you want.
Eric

Postby nofender » Tue May 14, 2013 7:09 pm

I plan to check this out. Is there adequate trailer parking?
Andy Vega - NE4W
nofender

Postby Eric » Tue May 14, 2013 7:35 pm

nofender wrote:I plan to check this out. Is there adequate trailer parking?

Trailer parking is available. There are whole sections of field that we are not planning to use that could be used for overflow if necessary. Not going to Rubicon-it?
Eric

Postby nofender » Tue May 14, 2013 8:07 pm

Technohead wrote:
nofender wrote:I plan to check this out. Is there adequate trailer parking?

Trailer parking is available. There are whole sections of field that we are not planning to use that could be used for overflow if necessary. Not going to Rubicon-it?

Debating.....I may let my daughter take the Rubi and I'll bring the trailer queen. We'll see....
Andy Vega - NE4W
nofender

Postby schwalby » Fri May 17, 2013 3:26 pm

Are well mannered leashed dogs allowed?
Josh Schwalb

schwalby

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Sat May 18, 2013 8:08 am

schwalby wrote:Are well mannered leashed dogs allowed?

Jen will have no trouble getting you in, I wouldn't worry about it.

:lol:
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Postby axle » Sat May 18, 2013 4:40 pm

nice work guys & gals!
Bob Butler, New England Jeepz
axle

Postby 1/4-Ton-XJ » Sat May 18, 2013 7:55 pm

Great event you guys put together! :up:
My buggy is for sale, message me for details.
1/4-Ton-XJ

Postby nofender » Sat May 18, 2013 8:05 pm

Had a great time. I enjoyed the trails! Kudos to the organizers and the property owners! :up:
Andy Vega - NE4W
nofender

Postby xjmark » Sun May 19, 2013 10:40 pm

The CCFW crew had a great time. Thanks for having us.
Nice job on putting this event together. :up:
xjmark

Postby Eric » Mon May 20, 2013 10:14 am

On behalf of All Things Jeep and Ocean State Jeepsters I would like to thank everyone who helped make this a successful event.

The weather gods were shining and in the end we counted some 425 Jeeps and 850 people through the gate. In addition to All Things Jeep the vendors included Clayton Offroad, Crown Automotive, Central Mass Offroad, Jeepin' Stuff, Bikini Doors, and Overdrive Motorsports. The list of organizations was also impressive including our friends from Central CT 4 Wheelers, Underground Jeeps, Great American Jeep Rally, Crawling for a Cure, and Push Your Boundaries.

All of the vendors that were present made generous donations to the raffle as did many other vendors who could not attend. This list includes Superwinch, Mickey Thompson, Warn Industries, Bushwacker, Teraflex, Rugged Ridge, River Raiders, Rough Country, and Summit Racing.

Trail rides were one of the event highlights and feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. This was no small feat when you consider that the drivers ranged from seasoned veterans with buggies all the way to a teenage girl who needed help shifting her transfer case. By the end of the day some 250 Jeeps experienced the trails this property has to offer.

Another highlight of the day was the hill climb demonstration put on by a member of Central CT 4 Wheelers. It took only a matter of seconds for his paddle tire equipped, mega-horsepower machine to rocket up and over the top of the Monson Monster.

Speaking of the Monson Monster, we would also like to thank the Quaboag Riders MC for allowing us to host this event at their property. They were extremely accommodating throughout and very pleased with how the event turned out. We look forward to continuing and expanding the relationship.

Last but not least we would like to thank everyone who showed up! Events such as this really bring our community together and we are thrilled to be a part of it.

See you in 2014!!

Eric

Postby Paul » Mon May 20, 2013 1:06 pm

:hello: :hello: :hello: :hello:

Glad the event was a success.

:paul:
Guy that used to do stuff a long long time ago.
Paul

Postby BC » Mon May 20, 2013 2:47 pm

Nice job you guys!!! :woot: :woot:
Brenda (BC) Churchill
Delegate to the Northeast Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs
Vermont Jeep Association former President, Vice President
Former NEA4WDC President
brickerjeeper@gmail.com
Fall Crawl: Always the weekend after Labor Day
BC

Postby Ryan » Tue May 21, 2013 6:29 am

Nice Job to all involved! I had fun, and everyone i saw seemed to be enjoying themselves!

A little constructive criticism, Tow rigs, granted mine is a Ford POS but i got stuck in traffic going up the second hill to park and unload, If the POS was 2wd it could have been a cluster.

Other than that i thought it was a very well planned out event! Whomever told me about Beth's Restaurant....THANKS :up:

I would imagine some of you have seen this, but i am sure not all of you have. Just a reminder that what we do is ALWAYS inherently dangerous and we should always remember that one simple fact. Several of my associates from Edmonton have called me about the accident. One of them was 30 feet away when this happened, its a shame and most likely could have been prevented.

http://youtu.be/nQPu0-vgJ2g
Freedom Trail Riders
Ryan Schneider
Delegate
Ryan
Site Admin

Postby Scott Hatch » Tue May 21, 2013 7:33 am

:cry: just a reminder of the inherent dangers that we always face within our sport
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby Eric » Tue May 21, 2013 8:54 am

Ryan wrote: . . . A little constructive criticism, Tow rigs, granted mine is a Ford POS but i got stuck in traffic going up the second hill to park and unload, If the POS was 2wd it could have been a cluster.
Yea, I told the folks to put the booth at the bottom of the hill so that tow rigs would not have to stop on the hill. I wish I was not always saying "I told you so . . . "
Eric

Postby Paul » Tue May 21, 2013 10:51 am

Holy shit re: that video!

that's just a horrible freak friggen accident.
take note of that one though, Jeeps are always stacking, or whatever they call it.
Guy that used to do stuff a long long time ago.
Paul

Postby Ryan » Tue May 21, 2013 6:44 pm

Technohead wrote:
Ryan wrote: . . . A little constructive criticism, Tow rigs, granted mine is a Ford POS but i got stuck in traffic going up the second hill to park and unload, If the POS was 2wd it could have been a cluster.
Yea, I told the folks to put the booth at the bottom of the hill so that tow rigs would not have to stop on the hill. I wish I was not always saying "I told you so . . . "

:up:
Freedom Trail Riders
Ryan Schneider
Delegate
Ryan
Site Admin

Return to Public Events