nea4wd.org


Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Connecticut Off-Road Park - CORP

Got a trail ride or other event that is open to the public'? Post it here

Connecticut Off-Road Park - CORP

Postby Tiki_Dave » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:52 am

CORP will be having a major kick off meeting on May 3 @ 1pm at Wickham Park in Manchester, CT. Admission to the park is $5.
Wickham Park is located at 1329 West Middle Turnpike in Manchester, Connecticut and is easily accessible from Interstate 84.

Come out and support Matt and the CORP crew and show your support to the establishment of an off-road park in the state.
User avatar
Tiki_Dave
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:22 am
Location: Agawam, MA

Re: Connecticut Off-Road Park - CORP

Postby Voodoo Chile » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:30 pm

can you tell us more about the park? Good luck!
Jeff Cambray
President Crawling For A Cure Offroad
http://crawlingforacure.org/
Member BSJ/OSJ
2012 JKU DD with 35" tires
1971 Rock Krawler Jeepster (to be built)
1970 Stock Jeepster
User avatar
Voodoo Chile
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:32 am
Location: Westford MA

Re: Connecticut Off-Road Park - CORP

Postby Tiki_Dave » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:19 pm

not much to tell yet....its in the initial stages. Trying to show the state there is a need for this and its in their best interest to work with the off-road community. Hoping for a big turn out and get people involved to get this to the next stage.
User avatar
Tiki_Dave
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:22 am
Location: Agawam, MA

Re: Connecticut Off-Road Park - CORP

Postby Eric » Mon May 04, 2015 1:54 pm

Looking forward to a report from this meeting. Is the plan to pursue state land through a legislative agenda, raise funds to open a private park, or . . . ?
User avatar
Eric
President
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:49 pm
Location: Exeter, RI

Re: Connecticut Off-Road Park - CORP

Postby Tiki_Dave » Tue May 05, 2015 2:07 pm

Unfortunately this meet was poorly attended. Possibly because it was the first really nice day and it was the weekend of Vermonster and the clean up at GTD.

The plan at this time is to seek out the state and pursue land through them. CORP is pursuing 501 status. This should help as well.
The main message was that the 4x4 off-roading community needs to pull together and get the good things we do brought to the attention of the public. Anything good needs to somehow be known by the public and we need to crack down as a community on the illegal and bad publicity that seems to follow us. Clean-ups, charity work, etc... needs to be known by the non-wheeling community. This will hopefully present us in a good light to those who really don't know what we do or think we are just driving in the woods and cutting trees and ruining the environment. We need to change this stereotype.

Another topic was a possible 4x4 show at the Big E next year with hopefully some major sponsors.

It was brought up that CORP should have a booth at non-4x4 events like the auto show, home show, the Big E, etc... Anywhere that Joe and Jane Public are.

That was about it for now.
User avatar
Tiki_Dave
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:22 am
Location: Agawam, MA

Re: Connecticut Off-Road Park - CORP

Postby Voodoo Chile » Wed May 06, 2015 7:32 am

keep up the good work guys! Its a long slog but the rewards should be worth it! Think about cruise nights as well. Easy to get to and get a decent crowd. Bring a TJ or YJ and you have a classic to display to boot! :up: :hello:
Jeff Cambray
President Crawling For A Cure Offroad
http://crawlingforacure.org/
Member BSJ/OSJ
2012 JKU DD with 35" tires
1971 Rock Krawler Jeepster (to be built)
1970 Stock Jeepster
User avatar
Voodoo Chile
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:32 am
Location: Westford MA

Re: Connecticut Off-Road Park - CORP

Postby Eric » Wed May 06, 2015 11:20 am

Tiki_Dave wrote: . . . . The main message was that the 4x4 off-roading community needs to pull together and get the good things we do brought to the attention of the public. Anything good needs to somehow be known by the public and we need to crack down as a community on the illegal and bad publicity that seems to follow us. Clean-ups, charity work, etc... needs to be known by the non-wheeling community. This will hopefully present us in a good light to those who really don't know what we do or think we are just driving in the woods and cutting trees and ruining the environment. We need to change this stereotype. . .
Interesting. I would argue that NEA member clubs are already engaged in such activities (yes, we could always do more).

Based on the name and mission statement I understood CORP to have a more narrow focus on establishing a park. I'd like to get more involved with this effort and would recommend an evening meeting (perhaps via teleconference) since weekends this time of year can be a scheduling challenge.

Some specific questions I have include:
    Is there a documented business plan?
    What type of 501? (Presumably c3 which can take a year for IRS approval)
    Have any specific towns/properties been identified?
    What does the current balance sheet look like?
    Are any significant donors lined up?
    Are any federal/state grants available? (outside of RTP)
    Are any state legislators on board? Who?
    Are any local officials on board? Who?
    What governance model is expected for the park?
    Are there any measurable goals with deadlines?
In addition to ECOJOCS, I know that other NEA clubs including JonFund, Northeast Jeep Organization, Central CT 4 Wheelers, and Ocean State Jeepsters have members in CT. Several NOVA clubs also have CT-based memberships including JT4x4 & Eastern 4 Wheelers.

Perhaps its time for a unified effort?
User avatar
Eric
President
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:49 pm
Location: Exeter, RI

Re: Connecticut Off-Road Park - CORP

Postby Voodoo Chile » Wed May 06, 2015 3:57 pm

Eric wrote:
Tiki_Dave wrote:
In addition to ECOJOCS, I know that other NEA clubs including JonFund, Northeast Jeep Organization, Central CT 4 Wheelers, and Ocean State Jeepsters have members in CT. Several NOVA clubs also have CT-based memberships including JT4x4 & Eastern 4 Wheelers.

Perhaps its time for a unified effort?



As does Baystate! :up:
Jeff Cambray
President Crawling For A Cure Offroad
http://crawlingforacure.org/
Member BSJ/OSJ
2012 JKU DD with 35" tires
1971 Rock Krawler Jeepster (to be built)
1970 Stock Jeepster
User avatar
Voodoo Chile
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:32 am
Location: Westford MA

Re: Connecticut Off-Road Park - CORP

Postby Tiki_Dave » Wed May 06, 2015 4:50 pm

Eric wrote:

Based on the name and mission statement I understood CORP to have a more narrow focus on establishing a park. I'd like to get more involved with this effort and would recommend an evening meeting (perhaps via teleconference) since weekends this time of year can be a scheduling challenge.

Some specific questions I have include:
    Is there a documented business plan?
    What type of 501? (Presumably c3 which can take a year for IRS approval)
    Have any specific towns/properties been identified?
    What does the current balance sheet look like?
    Are any significant donors lined up?
    Are any federal/state grants available? (outside of RTP)
    Are any state legislators on board? Who?
    Are any local officials on board? Who?
    What governance model is expected for the park?
    Are there any measurable goals with deadlines?
In addition to ECOJOCS, I know that other NEA clubs including JonFund, Northeast Jeep Organization, Central CT 4 Wheelers, and Ocean State Jeepsters have members in CT. Several NOVA clubs also have CT-based memberships including JT4x4 & Eastern 4 Wheelers.

Perhaps its time for a unified effort?


Perhaps it might make sense to reach out to Matt and set him up with an forum account here so he can post updates and answer questions from the NEA. Just a thought.
User avatar
Tiki_Dave
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:22 am
Location: Agawam, MA

Re: Connecticut Off-Road Park - CORP

Postby Eric » Wed May 06, 2015 6:15 pm

Done!!
User avatar
Eric
President
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:49 pm
Location: Exeter, RI

Re: Connecticut Off-Road Park - CORP

Postby xjmark » Wed May 06, 2015 7:21 pm

Besides the ECOJOCS members in the CORP bod, there were a few NEA members in attendance. Myself, Andy Heavisides (andy258) with CCFW, and Rey Rasco (gorilla_skater) With NEJeep.
It was good to sit down and throw some ideas around, and to share past experiences with dealing with the state of CT.
Mark Kosciukiewicz, Central Connecticut Four Wheelers, NEA Delegate
Rhode Island Trail Slayers
User avatar
xjmark
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:58 pm
Location: Rocky Hill, CT

Re: Connecticut Off-Road Park - CORP

Postby Eric » Wed May 06, 2015 8:59 pm

That's awesome!
User avatar
Eric
President
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:49 pm
Location: Exeter, RI

Re: Connecticut Off-Road Park - CORP

Postby Tiki_Dave » Thu May 07, 2015 1:17 pm

xjmark wrote:Besides the ECOJOCS members in the CORP bod, there were a few NEA members in attendance. Myself, Andy Heavisides (andy258) with CCFW, and Rey Rasco (gorilla_skater) With NEJeep.
It was good to sit down and throw some ideas around, and to share past experiences with dealing with the state of CT.


Yes. You guys were great and I think it got Matt thinking about different directions to go in to help get to the goal of a park one day.
User avatar
Tiki_Dave
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:22 am
Location: Agawam, MA

Re: Connecticut Off-Road Park - CORP

Postby reeses81 » Thu May 07, 2015 4:13 pm

Ntc also has almost 10 members that reside in ct, I am only the next town over and willing to help when I can.
Rob Connelly NTC President
Irishrob81@yahoo.com
User avatar
reeses81
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:06 pm
Location: Wallingford, Ct


Return to Public Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests