nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Potential road closure in NH

*Public* Our trails are an endangered species. Please visit and contribute to this forum often.

Potential road closure in NH

Postby rroadkilll » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:35 pm

There is a snowmobile club that is tryin to get the road closed to only there use in the winter and then no use in the summer!

Here is the petition http://www.gopetition.com/online/24581.html

Exploringnh.com just did a trail clean up on this trail this summer and cleaned up over 150 tires and a couple full size trucks full of trash.

Here is the link to what the trail looked like prior to the clean up.

http://forums.exploringnh.com/showthrea ... gton+clean

And here is the clean up thread
http://forums.exploringnh.com/showthrea ... barrington

Any help on this would be great guys!

** CROSS POST **
Member of:
www.4X4HIM.org - NE Chapter Coordinator
www.SouthShoreWheelers.org - (VP 08-09)
www.NEA4wd.org - Delegate
www.MilitaryJeepers.com
www.NEXterra.org

MOVING TO NC IN JUNE!!!
rroadkilll

Postby axle » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:47 pm

done.
Bob Butler, New England Jeepz
axle

Postby maxhome » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:15 am

Done

max
There were hard lines out there if you wanted them, and easy ones if you didn't. (Right Max )
maxhome

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:03 pm

This was on JF this morning, fight fire with fire.
anyone here know more about this??

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Potential road closure in Barrington, NH

Barrington, NH - January 16th, 2008- A local snowmobile club has sent a request to the town to close a local trail. The item is on the agenda to be discussed at the next town meeting. We will have representatives at the meeting, but we are requesting you to voice your concerns before the meeting.

This trail is used by all user groups, not just snowmobilers and 4x4 trucks. Hikers, ATVs, and several other groups all use the trail. We would like to keep this trail open so it can continue to be enjoyed for years to come. If the snowmobile club gets its way, the road will be gated and locked on both ends and all travel will be illegal.

In 2008, a local 4x4 group, ExploringNH, held a trail cleanup and removed over 150 tires and several dump-truck loads of garbage from the road. Many illegal trails were closed and blocked to discourage continued use. Land owners along the road as well as town officials were very pleased with the turnout. Since then, the trail has stayed clean and has been more enjoyable for everyone.

Land to wheel on is becoming more and more scarce, and in NH, Class 6 roads and private land are all we have left. It would be a shame to see this trail, an historic Class 6 road, be closed forever just to please one club of people that use the trail for ? of the year. To help save this trail, please sign the petition, or better yet, write a letter to the Board of Selectmen before January 23rd.

Petition:
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/old ... -road.html

Letters:
Board of Selectmen
41 Province Lane
Barrington, NH 03825

Email to:
ATTN: Board of Selectmen ? Opinion Against Old Green Hill Closure
info@Barrington.NH.gov

ExploringNH
info@exploringnh.com

Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Postby tammylynn » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:07 pm

Posted on DWE.
tammylynn

Postby smileyfish » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:41 pm

146 :wink:
smileyfish

Postby exploringnh » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:51 pm

Thanks for posting this.

As of today [1/21/09], this item has been taken off of the meeting agenda due to the huge response received. If, in the future, this topic is brought up again, notification will be sent to all those who (e)mailed letters.

This doesnt mean the topic is dead, but it is dead for now.
exploringnh

Postby tammylynn » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:33 pm

Wow...very cool. Nice to see positive results for a change. :)
tammylynn

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:05 am

I thought we were doomed. I'm really glad I was wrong!
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Postby schwalby » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:16 pm

mrfreakinwhite wrote:I thought we were doomed. I'm really glad I was wrong!

This was one of those situations that I think we are all trying to achieve. It was proactive instead of reactive. Steps were taken well before this was an issue to help build a positive relationship between the town and 4wheelers so when the proposal came before the town the town went out of their way to notify us. Then to add onto an already positive relationship the out pouring of regional and even national support made it very easy for the town to say that is was not worth even bringing up at a meeting.

The town was on our side from the start for this and the 4wheeling community gave them everything they needed to do the right thing.

Not trying to pick on you but hopefully more people will start looking at trail clean ups and working with towns as a major positive and not a losing battle. We are not in as bad of a spot as most think. We just need to go out and do what we always talk about.
Josh Schwalb

Co-Chairman - Great American Charitable Events
Co-Chairman - Great American Jeep Rally
Creator - Folded Flag Tribute Jeep
schwalby

Postby Mikey » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:46 pm

now go signs the Same the Hammers site.
Mikey

Postby StinkyFinger » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:01 pm

schwalby wrote:
mrfreakinwhite wrote:I thought we were doomed. I'm really glad I was wrong!

This was one of those situations that I think we are all trying to achieve. It was proactive instead of reactive. Steps were taken well before this was an issue to help build a positive relationship between the town and 4wheelers so when the proposal came before the town the town went out of their way to notify us. Then to add onto an already positive relationship the out pouring of regional and even national support made it very easy for the town to say that is was not worth even bringing up at a meeting.

The town was on our side from the start for this and the 4wheeling community gave them everything they needed to do the right thing.

Not trying to pick on you but hopefully more people will start looking at trail clean ups and working with towns as a major positive and not a losing battle. We are not in as bad of a spot as most think. We just need to go out and do what we always talk about.

Agreed
Working with the towns and showing our numbers and how we can come together on issues like this is the only way we will have an upper hand in keeping our sport growing.
Chris
StinkyFinger

Postby Mikey » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:36 pm

Hammers is as important to me as that little road is.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=664629
Mikey

Postby schwalby » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:44 pm

http://forums.exploringnh.com/showthread.php?p=67328#post67328

Do some research before you start giving people crap.
Josh Schwalb

schwalby

Postby exploringnh » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:56 pm

Mikey wrote:now go signs the Same the Hammers site.

A better way to go about rallying for your cause would be to create a new thread and include details of the proposed closure, a link to the petition, maybe a link to other relevant information, and ask people, NICELY, to help out.
Last edited by exploringnh on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
exploringnh

Postby rblank » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:19 pm

Take it somewhere else please.
*DISCLAIMER* - The views expressed herein are the personal views of the author and do not in any way represent, nor imply to represent, the views of the North East Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, it's officers, members, or affiliates.
rblank

Postby Paul » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:34 pm

Same side every one, same side.

Keep that in mind as you beat eachother to a pulp.

:paul:
Guy that used to do stuff a long long time ago.
Paul

Postby schwalby » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:45 pm

Paul wrote:Same side every one, same side.

Keep that in mind as you beat eachother to a pulp.

:paul:

Same cause yes, method to achieve the goal not the same.
Josh Schwalb

schwalby

Postby JayZR2 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:02 pm

rblank wrote:Take it somewhere else please.

Thanks Roger. I'll second that. You guys may not like Mikey, but you need to get passed that for the greater good. I'm not babysitting here.
I have bigger fish to fry.

chris (stinky fingers) your post got removed. If you want to talk smack do it in PM's First and last warning.

This is the reason we don't have more success with things like this because people let their pride and ego's get in the way.

Great job on the petition Ryan glad to see it had a positive ending and it shows all the fights are not hopeless losing battles.
hyp·o·crite   [hip-uh-krit]
noun
1. A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
JayZR2

Postby exploringnh » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:31 pm

JayZR2 wrote:

Great job on the petition Ryan glad to see it had a positive ending and it shows all the fights are not hopeless losing battles.

Thank you for thanking me, but it wasn't me that got this done. It was everyone that wrote letters, signed the petition, and gathered information relative to the cause. No single person can keep the sport alive. It takes many people with many voices to make things happen. This isnt about me, or ExploringNH, or the NEA. This is about furthering our sport.
exploringnh

Postby tammylynn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:45 pm

exploringnh wrote:
JayZR2 wrote:

Thank you for thanking me, but it wasn't me that got this done. It was everyone that wrote letters, signed the petition, and gathered information relative to the cause. No single person can keep the sport alive. It takes many people with many voices to make things happen. This isnt about me, or ExploringNH, or the NEA. This is about furthering our sport.

:up:
tammylynn

Return to Trail Conservation