nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Dave Brill is leaving the sport

*Public* Our trails are an endangered species. Please visit and contribute to this forum often.

Dave Brill is leaving the sport

Postby PatriotJeep » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:24 pm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

Many of you have seen all sorts of emails from me over the years, some of you may have not ever read one.
It was mentioned to me that I may not have ever made any official announcement to the club that I was stepping down from all of my 4 wheeling related positions. Yep, all of em. Most of you probably won't see much, if any, of me over the next several years or more.

I have been doing this for 23 years. In those 23 years I have become a prime player in nearly every major 4WD organization across this country. I have turned my back on many other aspects of my life and over the last year or so, I have decided to go back to those things I used to enjoy and really have a love of.

So, I am walking away from the club I started 23 years ago, walking away from EC4WDA, NAMRC, Tread Lightly!, SEMA, BRC, COALT, CTU, NOHVCC and on and on.
I will not be trail leading any rides. I will not be out on any club rides. I will not be heading up any events. I will no longer be the President of E4W or the Land Use Chair. I am no longer the Land Use Chair for the Northeast Region of EC4WDA. I am no longer the VP of the Northeast Region of EC4WDA. I am no longer the Land Use Chair for EC4WDA.

I have seen many active people come and go in those 23 years. Thing is, they were "only involved" on a local level, maybe a bit on a regional level.
I will give you all a quick insight to what a usual day was for me after work, (which quite often spread into 10-12 hours) due to my involvement in the 4WD community on every level.
I would receive 75-100 non spam emails every day, from people all over the country, sometimes, even from across the pond. Many lists, requesting help/action alerts/ fellow organizations needing assistance via letters, ideas, literature, etc. Nearly every day I was writing an email to one of our reps or senators, Governors, DEP/DCR commissioners, etc. Often, I was attending meetings, like for CTU or COALT, or state or local meetings in a feeble attempt to keep our public lands available to the public, not keep them from the public. I was active on well over 20 different forums, and would visit each one, almost every night. I have driven up and down the eastern seaboard, not to go wheeling but to assist other groups in keeping our lands available. In addition to all the emails, PMs, forums posts, etc, I would also have at least a couple of phone messages from those who choose not to use the dreaded internet/computers. All of this usually done from about 7-8 PM until after midni ght... Only to start the whole thing over again at 5:30 AM the next day. I have had no anonymity, I can not go out on a ride w/o people thinking I'm in charge in someway.

This past year, I ran into a brick wall, fell down exhausted by everything I have been doing and realized, it felt pretty darn good just relaxed on the floor. So, I have a few new projects, like 2 early model Jags, one in pieces, one newly come across in a steal, that is running and driving, mint interior, an engine so clean you can eat on it and only minor body blemishes... a real pile of pooo I stepped in with this one. I will be participating in vintage racing events, SCCA races, attending them, photographing them, going to car shows, British car cruises, Concourse events, auctions, already been to three NASCAR events this year. And in none of those will I have to be responsible for anyone else. Just relaxing, plain and simple.

Its now official, I'm done.
I will be available to assist with land use questions, what roads are legal, etc.. But don't expect an overnight, quick response. It's ok for nearly every other American to read their email every other day or even go two-three days without reading or answering, so it will be for me.

Dave Spence and Wayne Wilhelm have stepped to the fore to make sure that this great club doesn't fall on its face like its founder. Please step forward to assist them, they will need the help, or they may end up like me...

Talk soon,

David Brill
Blue Ribbon Coalition
Brilliant Signs & Grafix
Guilford, CT

I Met Dave years a go when I started New England 4wheelers at the same
time Dave Started Eastern 4wheelers for a long time these were the 2
biggest and well know clubs. I have managed to kept it fresh on my end
started BaystateJeepers then Later PatriotJeepers.I have done my share of land use with my many clean up efferts but Dave has done so much more.
He's right I've seen them come and go myself.

Dave will be missed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
51 M100
PatriotJeep

Postby Paul » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:48 pm

Haven't caught this email yet.

Thank you Dave for everything that you have done over the years. You deserve the rest. I don't think you could ever be replaced. :up: :up:
Guy that used to do stuff a long long time ago.
Paul

Postby JayZR2 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:53 pm

If it's not an April fools joke it's a loss for our side indeed. Didn't know Dave very well but I know he was extremely passionate about the sport.
Thanks Dave.
hyp·o·crite   [hip-uh-krit]
noun
1. A person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
JayZR2

Postby Scott Hatch » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:26 pm

Dude I wouldn't count on this....totally smells of an April Fools joke and Rich bought this hook, line, and sinker
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby Paul » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:29 pm

my sentiments are the same either way. But you're right, it smells like April fools.
Paul

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:50 pm

I dunno, he posted something similar a few weeks, or was it days, ago. The difference was he said he'd be more in the background, but still around.

Iffin it's not a joke, in 1998 Dave talked to me on the phone for two hours about Trail Fest and wheeling and I had fun sharing points of view with him and some web banter.

Thanks Dave.
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Postby jsongy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:45 pm

This had been brought up by Dave at the Last EC meeting. Not my place to speak on his behalf,easier to let him speak himself.

Not a joke.
A$$hole @ Large...Again
jsongy

Postby Paul » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:49 pm

mrfreakinwhite wrote:I dunno, he posted something similar a few weeks, or was it days, ago. The difference was he said he'd be more in the background, but still around.

Iffin it's not a joke, in 1998 Dave talked to me on the phone for two hours about Trail Fest and wheeling and I had fun sharing points of view with him and some web banter.

Thanks Dave.

THAT right there tells me this is no lie. Dave can TALK. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul

Postby Zaedock » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:31 am

Dave, Thanks for everything. Thanks for sending me material and helping out with things I've worked on. I very much appreciate it.

Good luck with your Jags. I started out in drag racing before the Jeep bug, and long for the day I can hit the strip again.

Take care.
Zaedock

Postby Robin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:51 pm

Very best of the best to you Dave, you will be missed! Try not to get overly involved with the next Jag club (emphasis on try :wink: )

Delegate for rent, inquire within.
Robin

Return to Trail Conservation