nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Save Moab!

*Public* Our trails are an endangered species. Please visit and contribute to this forum often.

Save Moab!

Postby Scott Hatch » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:50 am

THis was forwarded to me from Western MA 4x4

Ipe wrote:I need to ask a favor of you. I need you to give a few minutes of your time to help protect access to something amazing.

On October 1st a subcommittee in the House of Representatives will be meeting to consider the Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009. This Act would designate much of Utah as "wilderness" and as such forever prevent you, your family, your friends.... flat out everyone, from ever wheeling there again. For example this act would prohibit wheeling in Moab.

I have traveled from my home here in Massachusetts all they way to Colorado and then on to Moab for the express purpose of wheeling. If you ever have the opportunity to wheel in Utah you will be amazed, it is so different from wheeling here in New England that you could just as well be wheeling on the moon. It is an adventure like none other. Given the opportunity, I WILL be going again.

Please click on this link and take a few moments to complete the form requesting your state representative oppose H.R. 1925. It is VERY EASY to do and almost completely automatic. Hell, even a caveman could do it! (sorry Geico )

Thank you for taking the time to do this. This bill would steal from you access to an area that is amazing. It is a gift to all of us and we need to fight to preserve it. Even if you yourself never go out west to wheel perhaps your children will. Help preserve their access.

Thank you,

Robert Sutter (Ipe)
President
Western Mass 4x4
Last edited by Scott Hatch on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby rblank » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:51 am

Can you include the link please Scott, I don't see it there.
*DISCLAIMER* - The views expressed herein are the personal views of the author and do not in any way represent, nor imply to represent, the views of the North East Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, it's officers, members, or affiliates.
rblank

Postby Scott Hatch » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:54 am

Opps, thought it carried over....one moment
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby Scott Hatch » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:55 am

All set
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby rblank » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:05 am

:up:

Posted on Summit
Last edited by rblank on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
*DISCLAIMER* - The views expressed herein are the personal views of the author and do not in any way represent, nor imply to represent, the views of the North East Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, it's officers, members, or affiliates.
rblank

Postby tammylynn » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:13 am

Done.

Posted DWE.
tammylynn

Postby axle » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:42 pm

done and posted on NEJZ
Bob Butler, New England Jeepz
axle

Postby smileyfish » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:57 pm

done, posted on bsj and ftr

glad i'm going out this year, we roll out oct 2.
smileyfish

Postby swampdonkey » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:02 pm

Posted on NWOR
Marc Pouliot
North Woods Off Road
NWOR4x4@yahoo.com
NWOR4x4.org

"Too Tight Is 2 Pieces"
swampdonkey
Director @ Large

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:20 am

If you submit a letter you should post your responses. I think most of these letters are interpreted as, "Yes, I support passive recreation and support your idea of eliminating motorized access."
Just sayin'...
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Postby axle » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:37 am

I recieved an outomated response.
Bob Butler, New England Jeepz
axle

Postby tammylynn » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:31 pm

I didn't receive a response yet.

One of our members did receive one though that said NH's Carol Shea Porter is one of the lead people trying to push this through. So NH residents need to flood her office with some e-mail, phone calls, etc. :)
tammylynn

Postby Scott Hatch » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Yes, if you are a NH resident FLOOD her office with emails, calls, and letters stating that you are opposed to making Utah a wilderness
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby tammylynn » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:37 pm

It wasn't shocking to see that SHE was one of the masterminds.. :lol:
tammylynn

Postby Cookiemanx7 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:22 pm

Posted on SSW

I got an automated response as well.
John Price

President of South Shore Wheelers
OSJ
UFWD Volunteer Trail Patrol
Mohawk 4X4 Adventures
Cookiemanx7

Postby rblank » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:51 am

I also received an automated response that was not issue specific.
rblank

Postby tammylynn » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:33 pm

Response I got from Del today when I asked what the BRC was doing:

Tammy, here is a note from Greg Mumm, Executive Director, BlueRibbon concerning Moab:

This is an ongoing issue in Utah and BRC?s involvement in keeping Moab open is extensive. As we explained in our UTAH action alert from Brian, our Public Lands Policy Director at BRC, the focus is/has been to make certain that Senators and Representatives were going to oppose this bill. To that end, it is interesting to note that representatives from Utah were not informed in advance of SUWA?s announcement. Not a good foot for SUWA to get started on, especially when most folks in Utah don?t support this. Through Brian?s efforts, BRC has been in contact with staff of the sub-committee and representatives from Utah on this.

This has all been good because the witness list is now out for the hearing and it shows Senators Bennett and Hatch from Utah who will be opposed and Representative Matheson who we expect will bring up/push that this should be dealt with at the county level. Note that some think that SUWA was deliberate in their actions to push for the hearing with the intent to usurp planning that Emery County is working toward on a land use bill for fear the county bill would be more ?in tune? with recent BLM plans.

Brian has also been working with other groups like the AMA on alerts and actions. Following that vein, BRC is also working with the other national groups and all will be submitting a joint letter today in opposition to the sub-committee.

Since in situations like this, the real game of play is at the County level, Brian has been working with folks to make sure that avenue of defense is followed through.

BRC will be following this sub-committee hearing closely with more to come and once we have reviewed the testimony. Keep watching, we will have another action alert likely following the hearing after we have reviewed.

Note also that BRC is again actively involved in working to protect Moab on legal actions that SUWA brought out against the recent BLM plans in the area which you can read about on the website starting here: http://www.sharetrails.org/releases/media/?story=640

On another note, we encourage anyone to get signed up to receive all of the alerts we send out directly?

Greg
tammylynn

Postby tammylynn » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:53 pm

Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 1925, America's Red Rock Wilderness Act. I truly appreciate hearing from you, and I am working hard to stand up for New Hampshire's interests in Congress.

I understand your concern about this bill restricting access to lands in Utah from motorized vehicle use. America's Red Rock Wilderness Act would designate certain undeveloped areas of land in the State of Utah under the National Wilderness Preservation System. While protecting our environment is critical to our public health and to future generations, restricting land use must not unnecessarily prevent Americans from responsible recreation and enjoying the great outdoors.

H.R. 1925 has been referred to the House Committee on Natural Resources. Although I am not a member of this committee, please know that I will keep your views in mind should this legislation come to the House floor for a vote.

I encourage you to continue to contact me about the issues that are important to you. Please feel free to visit my website at www.hodes.house.gov where you can share your ideas with me, learn about the services I can provide to you, and sign up for my periodic e-mail updates on what I am doing to help New Hampshire.

Sincerely,

Paul Hodes

Member of Congress
tammylynn

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:51 pm

I wanna move to nh.
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Postby Scerb » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:12 am

I've gotten a letter from both sides from a NH rep. 50/50
Northeast Toyota Crawlers
'86 Toy with lots of stuff
'94 Toy with some stuff
Scerb

Postby tammylynn » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:24 am

mrfreakinwhite wrote:I wanna move to nh.

As I said on NEOW..I only highlighted that sentence out of sarcasm more than anything. I am pretty sure it means nothing to the person who wrote it.
tammylynn

Postby smileyfish » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:08 pm

i'm glad i got a chance to wheel moab at least once in my life, just got back monday. no matter what happens i will have memories. i hope it stay's open because i would love to go back, the wheeling is so much differant than here. without the tourists the town will be lost. none of the locals want this to happen, it's the libs on the east coast who do.
smileyfish

Postby Ryan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:48 am

Below is the response i received via certified mail

Dear Mr. Schneider:

Thank you for your letter concerning H.R. 1925, The America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009.

Congressman Maurice Hinchey introduced H.R. 1925 on April 2,2009. This legislation would designate specific portions of land in Utah as components of the National Wilderness Preservation System. Currently, this legislation has been referred to the house subcommittee on National Parks,Forests,and Public Lands.

Preserving the natural beauty of the American frontier and all the wildlife such a measure benefits is paramount to the human-driven luxuries the land offers. I believe we have a moral responsibility to uphold the mysticism nature offers in all it's glory. Therefore,I must humbly disagree with you and am a co-sponsor of H.R.1925. Though our views differ, please know I respect and considered you concerns.

Once again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact my office in the future if i can assist you in any matters.

Sincerely,
Richard E. Neal
House of Representatives
Freedom Trail Riders
Ryan Schneider
Delegate
Ryan
Site Admin

Return to Trail Conservation