nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Make a wish Jeep edition... pimp my ride...

Feel free to use this area for general banter but keep it clean.

Make a wish Jeep edition... pimp my ride...

Postby Voodoo Chile » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:07 am

Hi all,
I don't know quite what to do with the following.... I know I can get the help from BSJ/OSJ and CFAC-OR but in a way it feels bigger than that, so I want to cast the net a little wider. Words to an extent are failing me, so I will plow thur this the best I can. My father in law introduced me to Jim from Stow, MA yesterday. Jim has been a pillar of the community for many years, being the troop leader for the local Boys Scout pack for longer than his son has been alive. My nephew is currently in his pack, and has been for a few years now. His wife is in the Woman's Auxiliary that gives meals and comfort to the community and they are both former town reps and heavily involved in sports and supporting the community. Jim has an 98 Jeep TJ with typical issues with the frame which he already addressed by auto rust technicians and he's been to Elias due to some drive line vibes after the lift (likely needs a SYE.) His Jeep is more or less stock aside for a slight lift (2" springs and shocks) he did himself with his son. It has a handful of remaining issues to be road worthy.... Water pump, steering u-joint and such. Of course it being a TJ he needs a torch to remove most of the bolts and lacks torches or air tools to make these jobs easier.

What's breaking my heart is Jim has 9 months to live according to his doctors and he is doing the project with his son, as his legacy for his son to remember him by. He has tackled the things he could, but he is weaker now than he has been as he has stopped treatment as his cancer is too aggressive and the harm of treatment now outweighs the benefit. Jim has stopped working to be able to focus on family and end of life choices. He is really not asking for much help and I am taking this to a level that may not be needed but to me is required. Jim's not in a club per-se, but we discussed having him join Crawling For A Cure Offroad, since the discussion with him, I am making an executive decision to add him as a honorary member to grant him access to the club and trails while he is still able to do so.

Why am I making this post? I want to help Jim cross the finish line and make a very lasting impression on his son of what kind of inspiration his Dad is and was. As I mention, his Jeep is more or less stock with a slight lift and 31" or 32" tires. I plan to as soon as possible a get a wrench fest at my neighbors shop to bang out the small jobs. I would also like to pimp his ride with some extras. I won't ask anyone to go into pocket or start a go fund me for him. I plan to donate a pair of Body Armor4x4 rock slider/ steps to him to give rocker protection. If anyone has some cast off parts collecting dust, skid plates, after market bumper etc whatever I think it would go a long way in making his son a life long Jeeper and give Jim a legacy for his son to aspire to. If anyone wants to donate parts please let me know, if anyone wants to assist in the labor aspect at my neighbors place let me know.

Cancer sucks, its awful that this man will leave a wife and several young kids (a teen age girl, and his ~8year old son.) and a wife behind. It could hit any of us at any time, and he has been fighting it for years, its a battle he has won several times but he is about to loose the war as its now spread and is moving aggressively. Its nearly Christmas and we are Jeep/offroad people. Anyone that wants to help the gentlemen along is welcome to do so. We may look at a week day wrench fest as my best availability on a weekend is more or less January. My club has a run on 12/18 and its our last run of the year and the place has some stock friendly stuff. I think he would be over the moon to make that trail ride as a driver and runner. Anything we can do above and beyond that is gravy. I plan on some winter runs but I don't know how long he will be able to drive his Jeep. He may be fine come spring or.....

thank you for reading.

Jeff
Jeff Cambray

Member BSJ
2010 JK R DD with 35" tires
1970 Stock Jeepster
Voodoo Chile

Re: Make a wish Jeep edition... pimp my ride...

Postby Scott Hatch » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:17 pm

:( sorry to read this....cancer has taken too many great people before their time. I wish I had some parts to contribute.....is there anything on Facebook I can share? :(
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby axle » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:52 am

let us know the date so we can push it to our clubs
Bob Butler, New England Jeepz
axle

Postby nofender » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:38 am

I have a near new winch plate I'll donate. It's not a cheapy. It's nice quality. Just need to know where it has to go.
Andy Vega - NE4W
nofender

Postby Voodoo Chile » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:05 am

nofender wrote:I have a near new winch plate I'll donate. It's not a cheapy. It's nice quality. Just need to know where it has to go.

Thanks Andy. Im going to call Jim and see if he happens to be free this satruday. I need to re install the skid plates on my JKU (which have gotten bent a bit) as my neighbor replaced my throw out bearing and I didnt want to piss him off too bad as he was already replacing the stock cross member...... my VP Amanda has a leaky fuel rail, so rather than hitting the mall shopping Saturday I plan to do a impromptu wrench fest.... As Jim's main needs are a water pump and steering joint, we may be able to slide him in. We may pimp his ride at a later time but can add the steps/sliders this weekend. He has a stock bumper for now so not sure if we can mount the plate yet. I may be able to get a cheapy front winch bumper for him..

My house is 8 Millstone Hill in westford and the shop is next door to me. I will post up here if we happen to get Jim to join us for the party... we can suprise him with some extra goodies if he can make it. Short notice and all but this may work out very well for him.
Jeff Cambray

Member BSJ
1970 Stock Jeepster
Voodoo Chile

Postby Voodoo Chile » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:39 pm

I did some work with Jim this past Saturday at my neighbors shop and he is quite handy. He will be bringing his Jeep by my neighbors place on this coming Friday to do the water pump and steering shaft as well as mount sliders and full doors and a hard top for him. I think we are good for labor but I welcome any donations of parts someone may have for his rig. inbox me for my address or I can meet somewhere in MA to try and arrange pick up as its short notice....

thanks
jeff
Jeff Cambray

Member BSJ
1970 Stock Jeepster
Voodoo Chile

Return to Off Topic-General Discussion