nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

Food For Thought, NH trail closures

Feel free to use this area for general banter but keep it clean.

Food For Thought, NH trail closures

Postby measty » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:09 am

this came thru the ATV club that I belong to.

the antis and locals have started a campaign to get more Class VI roads reclassified as Class A and B trails, eliminating wheeled vehicles and even snowmobiles on some.

This is going to require keeping an eye on local warrant articles every year wherever there are Class VI and a push to limit or close access to our user groups.

Strafford NH tried in 2022 and Allentown is rumored to be pushing for it also.

Lebanon NH reclassified a few Class VI three years ago. The fight is real and gaining movement.

Organized Clubs have a slight advantage since they are usually involved at the local level, but municipalities that don't have clubs have very few stewards directly involved.
The dual sport bikes and 4x4 trucks could be the big losers.

And now, with the Montana plate for street legal SxS that will encourage more towns to have their Class VI reclassified.

A Montana plated SxS can operate on any road in NH including Class VI. Because NH doesn't offer a 100% street legal plate people are paying $900 to get them registered under a shell LLC in Montana and they are legal in NH by Reciprocity.

There is current legislation to make it illegal to dual register them as OHRV for Recreation.
Mike Eastland
JF Offroad
NEA Secretary
NEA Delegate
measty

Re: Food For Thought, NH trail closures

Postby Scott Hatch » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:12 am

I've been lurking for years, but I am recently getting back into the sport. Class VI roads will be my primary area to recreate. Is there an active group in this association working or lobbying within NH at the local and state level?
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby measty » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:22 pm

Scott Hatch wrote:I've been lurking for years, but I am recently getting back into the sport. Class VI roads will be my primary area to recreate. Is there an active group in this association working or lobbying within NH at the local and state level?

none that I know of. Most are on a town by town basis as they arise, if they are seen in time.
Mike Eastland
JF Offroad
NEA Secretary
NEA Delegate
measty

Postby mdsracing398 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:30 pm

Scott Hatch wrote:I've been lurking for years, but I am recently getting back into the sport. Class VI roads will be my primary area to recreate. Is there an active group in this association working or lobbying within NH at the local and state level?

The NEA4WD Belings to New Hampshire Offroad Vehicle Association. They keep us updated on current stuff happening.
I sat in on the 1st quarter meeting.
Mark St.Germain
508-736-7476
Rockaholics
Second place is the first loser!
Semper Fi
mdsracing398
President

Postby Scott Hatch » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:45 am

mdsracing398 wrote:

The NEA4WD Belings to New Hampshire Offroad Vehicle Association. They keep us updated on current stuff happening.

I can understand unity between OHRV user groups, but is the NEA, a 4x4 organization, solely relaying an ATV/UTV organization for representation within NH? Does the NEA no longer participant on STAC, conduct any lobbying on its own behalf, or work on NH topics beyond private land?
Scott Hatch
NEWJO
New England 4 Wheelers
shatch0341@gmail.com
Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Scott Hatch

Postby mdsracing398 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:08 pm

Scott Hatch wrote:
mdsracing398 wrote:

I can understand unity between OHRV user groups, but is the NEA, a 4x4 organization, solely relaying an ATV/UTV organization for representation within NH? Does the NEA no longer participant on STAC, conduct any lobbying on its own behalf, or work on NH topics beyond private land?

I can honestly say I have no idea if Eric did any of that. All I have to go by are emails that come in and what little information is on posts or past emails. Transition was fly by seat of pants considering the circumstances its gone better than expected. From the few years I was on the BOD in years past I do not believe so.
Mark St.Germain
508-736-7476
Rockaholics
Second place is the first loser!
Semper Fi
mdsracing398
President

Postby mrfreakinwhite » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:52 pm

I tried to recruit a replacement person for STAC and ultimately didn't get anyone to commit.
Mike White
MA Off-Highway Vehicle Advisory Committee - 4WD delegate
Massacusetts Recreational Trail Advisory Board - 4WD Delegate
Mohawk 4x4 Adventures - President
mrfreakinwhite

Return to Off Topic-General Discussion