nea4wd.org

Welcome To The Northeast Association of 4WD Clubs

*Urgent* Omnibus Land Act Re-Vote TODAY!!

*Public* Our trails are an endangered species. Please visit and contribute to this forum often.

*Urgent* Omnibus Land Act Re-Vote TODAY!!

Postby rblank » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:39 am

BRC Urgent Action Alert
Immediate Action Requested

Omnibus Package Revived In Senate - Vote Scheduled Today

Dear BRC Action Alert Subscriber,

In our last update on the massive omnibus public lands bill, we cautioned our members that the package is far from dead. We wrote: "Worse, possible scenarios are being considered that will prohibit full review as well as opportunity to offer amendments."

True to form, Congress is pushing ahead with yet another vehicle for the omnibus package. This time it's H.R. 146 - "The Revolutionary War and War of 1812 Battlefield Acquisition Grant Program." This otherwise worthy bill will be amended to include the contents of the omnibus package. The Senate is expected to take the bill up at 2 p.m. eastern with the first cloture vote due as early as 5:30 p.m.

At this point it looks as if the Senate leadership will either strike a deal to limit amendments in order for the bill to move quickly, or they will just push it through without allowing any opportunity for amendments. Either way, the bill is likely to see its first cloture vote TODAY!

If the Senate passes the measure it is expected that House leadership will attempt to jam it through via one or more "closed rule" options. D.C. insiders expect House leadership to call the legislation up as a "preferential bill," which would prohibit committee review and limit amendments.

BRC is asking all of our members and supporters to call their Senators NOW. Finding their phone number is easy. Click here and enter your Zip code. Simply tell your Senator that you oppose the Omnibus Public Lands Act and you want them to vote NO on H.R. 146.

Be brief. Be polite. Do it NOW.

As always, if you have any questions or need assistance call or email.

Brian Hawthorne
Public Lands Policy Director
BlueRibbon Coalition
208-237-1008 ext 102
*DISCLAIMER* - The views expressed herein are the personal views of the author and do not in any way represent, nor imply to represent, the views of the North East Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, it's officers, members, or affiliates.
rblank

Postby XJ Maki » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:15 pm

WTFIWW these politicians??

The title of that bill is scary...it could hit us a little closer to home here in New England too than S22 alone. I know some trails and roads I run in NW Mass and S VT are or could be viewed as revolutionary war sites.
Bic W.
Northeast Jeep Org.
XJ Maki

Postby rblank » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:40 pm

Make the call!! :poke: I did to both of my Senators. Took less than 5 minutes combined to let them know I was a constituant, and I wanted them to oppose the bill.
*DISCLAIMER* - The views expressed herein are the personal views of the author and do not in any way represent, nor imply to represent, the views of the North East Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, it's officers, members, or affiliates.
rblank

Return to Trail Conservation